gary5cees@cableone.net

Automatic Towable Vehicles

FMCA.com has Towing Guides -- FMCA Towing Guide Index -- for the last 10 years available TO MEMBERS or FMC magazine subscribers right here on this Web site.

At the top of this page or the FMCA.com homepage, under the Motorhoming tab or the FMC magazine tab you will find the Towing link. The Towing Guides will bring you to articles covering vehicle towing for any of the last 10 years.

Remco's Web site Remco Towing Guide is another good guide.

Brett Wolfe

I really like the Ford Explorer 4wd as you just hold down the brake in neutral and it disengages the transfer case and makes everything freewheeling without pulling fuses or disengaging anything. Also, I like the G&W airbrake which goes on the explorer. You then have airbrakes on the towed car without anything to put in or take out of the floorboard.

We are looking to find a used vehicle/SUV that is automatic we can pull behind our class A motor home. Where would I find a web site or.. to find which brands we can tow without having to do anything to them?

What ever you do...DO NOT get a 2009 Ford Escape. We are on our fourth transmission since leaving Florida on 6/13/09. It has been a nightmare I would not wish on anyone.

We just purchase an 09 Honda FIT with automatic transmission to tow. Although you said used the price was lower and the owner manual clearly states what you need to do. It also is ligher weight and I am hoping that will help gas milage.

Guest Wayne77590

The links Brett provided will give you some good information on different aspect of different vehicles. Example: Some 4 down flat towable vehicles cannot be towed over 65 MPH, some less, some more. Some have to have the engine started and run for a few minutes every 200 miles or so. It depends on the manufacturer. There are not to many models that cannot be towed, one way or another, with the proper equipment and hook-ups.

Oh! And if you want to do any off-road riding, consider a 4 wheel drive.

I pulled a Geo Tracker about 85 thousand miles without a problem. Mine was the five speed manual shift with four wheel drive. It was the perfect toad because it is light, you don't need brakes on it, and it would go about anywhere you could get the wheels on the ground. Sand, gravel, mud, up hill or downhill did not bother this little monster. The convertible top was nice also and it had power steering and breaks and a.c. of course. It would haul four people if they werent ''large folks'' and it rode better than any ''skate board'' you could find. The only reason I am not using it now is that I wanted to start hauling a ''port-a-boat'' and the Tracker just didnt work well for that so I got a Ford Ranger five speed with four wheel drive and a ''cap'' and a rack on it for the boat. It is handy for hauling all my ''stuff'' in the back also but it will only haul two people and it is heavier than the ''Tracker''. I once read that the Geo Tracker was one of the most popular 'toads'......... Anyhow, consider the Geo Tracker for its qualities as a ''toad'' .....

Seajay the sailor man.....

this advise is free. (normally I charge a dime for advise)

We tow an '09 Honda CR-V, 2 wheel drive w/automatic transmission. The procedure is fast and simple, and the car tows great behind our Class C Itasca. Though it is recommended to remove a fuse as the car is in the "accessory" mode when towed, I've not done so as I often will start and run it while we stop for a meal on the way to wherever. We'ved towed about 8K miles so far this year and are very happy with how it works out for us. It is our only car, so is the "daily driver" as well.

Considered the Honda Fit very seriously till we heard that they tend to "bottom out".

We use a Roadmaster set up with an "All Terrain" tow bar and M & G brake system.

Doc Mike

What ever you do...DO NOT get a 2009 Ford Escape. We are on our fourth transmission since leaving Florida on 6/13/09. It has been a nightmare I would not wish on anyone.

Since you are on your fourth transmission and I am "only" on my second transmission, are you going to try the Lemon Law? Iget hysterical just thinking about the next time we tow and having the transmission go out. Have you spoken to any service managers and asked them what Ford intends to do about this? I think it is false advertising on Ford's part saying that we can tow the 6 cylinder, front wheel drive automatic on all fours. We bought ours on May 7, 2009 and towed it on its maiden voyage on June10 and got three hours down the road and the transmission blew up. I don't want this to happen again, so I spoke with the service manager where I had bought the car and he said the dipstick was the wrong one. We had the new one installed and the proper levels checked out. Have you had your dipstick checked? What does Ford have to say about it? Is there a "higher-up" person from the Ford company that we can contact? Customer service just isn't doing the job.

Let us know what you guys have done please. Thank you!

I would like some advice on flat towing as verses pulling a car hauler.

I have a Monaco Dynasty that is rated to pull 10,000 lbs. The car I would like to trailer is about 3,000 lbs.

Any thoughts one vs the other..

Thanks

If you stay in one place for a long time, then move to another and stay a long time, then a trailer makes sense. Otherwise, IMHO a trailer is a PITA. (Unless you are determined to take your Porsche, Ferrari, or the like with you, then it makes perfect sense, to me! :D )