jgrassoiii

Dash Cover for Class A

We went to a local carpet store and bought a suitable remnant. They had one of their installers measure, cut, form, trim, and install the dash top cover all for less than $125.

I bought a dash cover from one of the above quoted suppliers. Their cover didn't completely cover the dash and I wasn't pleased with the product so I returned it for a refund. Instructions with the product said to cut it to fit defrosters, fans, and any other permanent objects on the dash. So I figured if I was going to cut carpet anyway, I might as well get an inexpensive piece and have at it.

I went to Home Depot and bought a remnant that was a good match for our interior decor for about $29. There was enough carpet to make two covers. I used newspaper, taped together into a large piece, to cover the dash. I cut it to the shape of the dash complete with cut-outs for the windshield defrosters and dash fans. The instrument panel has a raised area and I cut a separate piece of newspaper to fit that raised area. I used the patterns to cut both pieces out of the remnant. I placed the carpet on a tile floor with the top side of the carpet on the floor. I put the pattern on top, upside down and then drew around the pattern on the back of the carpet with a permanent marker. I used a utility knife to cut through the carpet backing along the line drawn on the back of the carpet. A heavy scissors completed the cut by cutting through the fabric of the carpet. When I placed them on the dash the fit was good enough that the main piece didn't move without any further attachment. I thought I would have to attach the two pieces but they have stayed in place without glue, tape or any other attachment. Both pieces are simply form fit and stay where they are placed. The piece on top of the instrument panel overlaps the main piece and the friction of the edges with the main section keep it in place. I can simply pick up the pieces and clean under them when needed and then place them back on the dash. No slippage, they do the job of taking the glare off the dash and provide a non-slip surface for objects while traveling. I intended to have the edges surged to keep them from raveling but it has proved to be a non-issue.

I still have the remainder of the original remnant so I could make another when the first one wears out. I made the original in November 2005 and it is still on the dash.

Just finished a frustrating hunt for a dash mat for my Allegro Bay. Covers by Jose only provides a flat piece of carpet cut to fit the dash but NO cutouts. Defroster vents, glove box, fuse access panel? Cut them yourself. Don't think so. Wade RV wants you to bring your RV to Florida. From Texas, not happening. RV toy store does not answer their phone or return voice messages. Strike three! Any one have any other ideas? <_<

Not really experienced with this topic, but I can think of one idea. Check a few automotive upholstery shops in your area. I had carpet replaced in my car many years ago and a local shop custom fitted the new carpet (front only) and did a great job. They could probably make a dash cover from carpet or other material for you. Good luck!

Reason #1 is to take glare off the dash. If your dash doesn't reflect sunlight and interfere with your vision while driving into the sun, then you don't have this problem. Louise is really sensitive to bright light and she said we needed one so we got it. Also, our dash is smooth and objects tend to slide off it. So reason #2 is to make the dash a place to put objects, maps, GPS, stuff. Reason #3, if you have pets, having a dash cover will protect the dash from sharp toenails. I've seen dogs and cats that love to be on the dash looking out the window, not while traveling but in camp. A cover protects the dash from the wear and tear of daily living. Remove it and the dash looks like new. This would apply to fading, drying and cracking from heat and direct sunlight.

We made a dash cover out of neoprene comfort rugs...same stuff mouse pads are made from.

gallery_1095_255_31225.jpg

On March 20, 2014 at 4:09 PM, TBUTLER said:

Reason #1 is to take glare off the dash. If your dash doesn't reflect sunlight and interfere with your vision while driving into the sun, then you don't have this problem. Louise is really sensitive to bright light and she said we needed one so we got it. Also, our dash is smooth and objects tend to slide off it. So reason #2 is to make the dash a place to put objects, maps, GPS, stuff. Reason #3, if you have pets, having a dash cover will protect the dash from sharp toenails. I've seen dogs and cats that love to be on the dash looking out the window, not while traveling but in camp. A cover protects the dash from the wear and tear of daily living. Remove it and the dash looks like new. This would apply to fading, drying and cracking from heat and direct sunlight.

My only question is what material (on the bottom side) will not harm the dash?

On March 20, 2014 at 4:09 PM, TBUTLER said:

You can put down some Velcro, round dots, about 6 and same on covering.   Rubber no slip rug runner, cut to size will work...for anything else ask a woman! 

I purchased my RV Dash Cover from rvdashcovers.com last year. They have a large number of patterns for many RVs and it's easy to order through their website. You just select your RV make, model and year, then the fabric type. Our cover is made of a lightweight carpet material. They cut out areas for dash vents. They were even able to create an indentation for our unusual dash configuration. We are completely happy with how it turned out and they were so easy to work with. The company is out of Yuma, Arizona, so if you are in the area for the winter and they don't have a pattern it will be easy to get one made for you.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 1:37 PM, lfordd said:

What material (on the backside) will not harm the dash?

I like to use boat carpet for this purpose, most are olefin, (polypropylene), all the way through with no backing, very easy on anything it lays on, and no rubber backing to stick to what it is lying on after a high heat day in the sunshine. As Carl said, you can use a couple of Velcro self adhering dots on the dash, use the latch side (the one that feels rough), no need to use the loop because the latch will hold the olefin, it is already a loop weave. This is the same carpet that the sound shops cover their speaker boxes with.