Sign in to follow this  
jerry1938

Country Coach Steering Wander

My '05 36' Inspire with IFS has a slight steering wander that requires constant attention when. A couple of mechanics have not been able to find any slack in the steering mechanism. It is worse in a stiff side wind or "groovy" blacktop.

Anyone else experience this problem? Has anyone tried any of the aftermarket steering stabilizers and if so, did it resolve the problem?

I have experimented with different tire pressures, but no improvement.

Jerry

Jerry1938,

Welcome to the Forum.

Wandering, in my experience, is in the alignment. Have a good shop check it. I have a feeling what you have is a Toe In problem.

When the Toe In is not correct, for example toe out, each wheel will be fighting to go straight. Hence forth wandering. Each tire is trying to go straight and is fighting the other tire.

Let us know what you find.

I had Safe-T-Steer installed on our first motor home. It made a significant difference in how the coach handled. There are better, more expensive systems but this was good enough to improve the steering on that coach, a 1994 Monaco Dynasty. Our current coach handles well enough that I haven't worried about having any after market product installed.

If you are going to have an alignment done, and I recommend that in any case, get the recommended specs from your manufacturer. Give those specs to the shop that will do the alignment.

Jerry,

I also have an 05 Inspire Siena 36' #51264. I had the same wandering problem you are experiencing.

After two alignments (I have the factory alignment spec) the wandering improved but was not eliminated.

This week I installed the Steer Safe steering stabilizer on my coach. I have only driven it about 30 miles for a test run,

but I can say the handling has improved significantly. I can now control it with just one hand on the wheel without constantly adjusting the steering. Next month my wife and I will embark on a month long 3,600 mile journey which will be the true test for this stabilizer.

I can probably scan the alignment spec I have from CC and send it to you if you are interested.

I also have new Michelin XZA3 tires on the coach which did improve the handling some.

I bought my coach about this time last year. I have serviced & checked most every component along with a little updating.

Don't forget about the PTO wet spline upgrade & the latest Norcold refrigerator recall, these are important.

If you have any other questions let me know.

RJ

2005 Inspire

Hi Jerry,

I have a Workhorse P32 chassis that was giving me the same trouble and more. No one locally help, even after a tire alignment. I have just returned from Henderson's Line-up in Grants Pass, OR where they did a ride performance assessment ,RPA. After the drive, they found several problems. Their Super Steer parts, and new Koni Shocks and new stabilizer brackets have really helped.

See FMCA magazine Dec. 2011. I know they are in Oregon, but they do ship to other areas. While I was there, a couple from Texas were there as Henderson's offered the best alternatives for them. Visit the mag. article and the Henderson's web site.

Good luck

2004 Winnebago Brave

Jerry,

We had a similar issue with our 05 Fleetwood Excursion 39'. Had an alignment done (that helped a bit) then Super Steer, Koni shocks, restrictors on the air bags, and Michelins to replace the Goodyears. It is a lot better now, but I still fear cross winds! Also, I discovered that the drivers seat was offset by about 4" to the left, which was wierd. I fixed that as well.

JT

Jerry,

I installed the Steer Safe on our Safari Cheetah. Now my co-pilot can't tell when I drop off the shoulder.