Ssyer74

Where To Get Air For Motorhome Tires

OK...I know this sounds like a stupid "newbie" question. But...oh well. I want to make sure that my tire inflation is good. Everything I read says determine the cold pressure and then get air but don't drive over a mile before you get it. I recently drove cross country and I have yet to find any place within a mile of campgrounds where we are staying where I can get air at the needed pressure.

Is there a relatively easy answer for this? Can I buy some sort of compressor to carry on board that will generate that much pressure?

I guess I should say that I have a gas powered 2009 Damon Challenger. 36 ft.

Welcome,

If you need to drive more than a mile or two to get to an air hose, just check your tires before driving, note how many pounds you need to add, drive to the air hose, check the pressure and add the pounds you determined before driving. Best to check early morning before the sun hits the tires. If you sleep late as I do sometimes, just bear in mind that the sunny side could be a few pounds more than the shady side and no need to let air out if they are.

If you like the idea of carrying a compressor, here is a link to a previous discussion:

http://community.fmca.com/topic/2487-air-compressor-best-typesize-for-motorhome-tires/

You could also do a search for "compressor" from the forum main page and get more topics.

BH

I did a post on getting free air.

Some with large RVs have on board compressors for air bags or brakes or jacks and simply have an extra fitting added to their system. Others who have Class-C that run Light Truck tires that need 80 psi or less can use a $25 to $50 Harbor Freight compressor or similar.

But I would ask why do you need air? If you are running the +10% that I suggest above your minimum as calculated from your actual tire load numbers and you check air each day before travel and have TPMS you should see that you are approaching your minimum goal days in advance which gives you time to top off the tires at a truck stop or tire store. Normal day to day change due to temperature should be normally in the +/- 3 to 5 psi range.

If you note the cold inflation in the morning is a few psi low then write down the number of psi you need to get back to your +10% level, then when you stop you write down the hot inflation and add the number of psi needed from your morning check plus 1.

I think you will find you are +/- 2 of your goal the next morning when you confirm your cold level.

If however you discover you have lost 20% from your goal then you really need to call for service as driving on a tire when 20% low is considered to be driving on a flat tire and you can be doing damage plus you need to find out why you lost 20& of your air in one day.