GM.Engineer

GM Needs Your Feedback On Dinghy Towing (4 Wheels Down)

My name is Nick. I work on the new 6T30/40/45/50 fwd 6 speeds at General Motors within transmission development. In particular, I'm in charge of validation for dinghy towing.

I'm after some feedback, regardless of vehicle make, about the vehicle you currently dinghy tow (or have towed in the past).

1. How many miles do you typically dinghy tow your vehicle yearly?

2. What is the total tow mileage you have on your vehicle now?

3. What is the total tow mileage you expect to put on the vehicle before you upgrade to a new vehicle?

4. When towing, what is the average amount of time between stops? (be it restroom or fuel)?

5. How often do you stop for a period of 10 min or more? (be it restroom, stretch, eat, fuel)?

6. What is your preferred cruising speed?

7. Do you use a rock shield?

8. Where does the rock shield mount (bumper,towbar,dinghy, or... so what type)?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated, which will help me better tune our internal testing requirements to better meet and exceed actual customer usage.

GM,

Welcome to the Forum. And thank you for looking to FMCA to answer your questions.

1) 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year.

2) Tow vehicle 46,000 miles - Coach 57,000 miles.

3) Some where around 150,000 miles

4) Can be up to several hours.

5) Again several hours.

6) 65 to 70 MPH

7) No

8) N/A

Hope this helps your survey.

Herman

1. 3,000

2. 10,000

3. 50,000

4. 2.5 hrs

5. 3-4 time per day

6. 65 mph

7. yes

8. Under back of coach.

Comments:

Looking for a small SUV, auto, power passanger seat, approx 3,000 lbs.

My name is Nick. I work on the new 6T30/40/45/50 fwd 6 speeds at General Motors within transmission development. In particular, I'm in charge of validation for dinghy towing.

I'm after some feedback, regardless of vehicle make, about the vehicle you currently dinghy tow (or have towed in the past).

6,000 - 10,000

5,000 (2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - 35K on Prior 2007 Grand Cherokee)

3. What is the total tow mileage you expect to put on the vehicle before you upgrade to a new vehicle?

30,000 - 40,000

4. When towing, what is the average amount of time between stops? (be it restroom or fuel)

2 - 3 Hrs

5. How often do you stop for a period of 10 min or more? (be it restroom, stretch, eat, fuel)

65MPH

Not yet, but plan to.

8. Where does the rock shield mount? (bumper,towbar,dinghy, or... so what type)

Towbar

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated, which will help me better tune our internal testing requirements to better meet and exceed actual customer usage.

For your input to the process, I personally would not purchase a vehicle to tow that:

Had to have the ignition key turned to accessory or

needed fuses to be pulled or

had to be towed at a speed slower than the speed limit on interstate highways or

had to be cranked every several hours or

required a driveline disconnect!

Nick at GM

Long time member and reader of the forum, but first entry. This is a very important subject to RVer's and I thank you for asking for first hand info.

1) 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year

2) 41,500 miles, Coach 48,500 miles

3) 100,000 Miles

4) Varys, usually every 2 to 4 hours

5) Most stops are for 15 to 30 minutes

6) 60-65 MPH

7) Yes Roadmaster Tow Defender Screen. Coach is equipped with full width Mud Flap

8) On towbar

For your input to the process, I personally would not purchase a vehicle to tow that:

Had to have the ignition key turned to accessory or

needed fuses to be pulled or

had to be towed at a speed slower than the speed limit on interstate highways or

had to be cranked every several hours or

required a driveline disconnect!

Frank, one of the nice things about the newer Chevrolets and GMC is that there is no steering wheel lock. If you are towig their 4 X 4 all you have to do is put the transfer case in neutral, put the selector in Park and remove the key. And if you are really smart you have a M & G Brake and do not need to have power to a brake in the toad.

Herman

Same thing with the jeep wranglers..I think after 07 or08 they don't put wheel locks in them anymore...My 2011 wrangler doesn't have one I no that for sure...Pull the transfer case into netural, hook up tow bar and Go...Too easy!!!

8-10,000

49000(08 Saturn Vue) 62000 Dutch Star Class A DP

4. When towing, what is the average amount of time between stops? (be it restroom or fuel)

3-4 hrs

5. How often do you stop for a period of 10 min or more? (be it restroom, stretch, eat, fuel)

1-2

63-65

No

NA

1. 10k-15k

2. 100,000+

3. 200,000+

4. 15-30 minutes

5. 1-2

6. 58-62

7. yes

8. 1/2 inch camp sleep pad across the front held in place with 6 ft bungee cords.

I tow a 99 Silverado 1/2 ton 6 cyl 5 speed.

38,000 (2009 Silverado,crew cab 4x4).

100,000-125,000

3 hours

About 3 times in 400-500 miles span

Yes

Bumper. Road Master,

1. How many miles do you typically dinghy tow your vehicle yearly? 7,000

2. What is the total tow mileage you have on your vehicle now? 12,000 (2011 CRV)

3. What is the total tow mileage you expect to put on the vehicle before you upgrade to a new vehicle? UNLIMITED

4. When towing, what is the average amount of time between stops? (be it restroom or fuel) THREE HRS.

5. How often do you stop for a period of 10 min or more? (be it restroom, stretch, eat, fuel) EVERY THREE HRS...CAN BE ANYWHERE FROM ONE TO THREE

6. What is your preferred cruising speed? 60 TO 62

7. Do you use a rock shield? YES

8. Where does the rock shield mount? (bumper,towbar,dinghy, or... so what type) BOLTED UNDER REAR OF MH

Hello thats why I bought a GM for their 4 wheel down towing. Towed a 2005 GMC 2500HD & just traded it in on a 2008 Avalanche LTZ

Tow about 8 thousand mile a year

98 thousand KMS

Not trading just bought it used

Stop about every 2 hrs

Stop about every 2 hrs

Travel between 60 65 MPH

Full Frontal Bra

Attached to the Truck (remove every now and then for cleaning)

10-15000

90,000 (Just bought a new tow vehicle last week).

3-5 hours

One

The speed limit

No

N/A

1. How many miles do you typically dinghy tow your vehicle yearly? ~10,000 miles

2. What is the total tow mileage you have on your vehicle now? ~15,000miles

3. What is the total tow mileage you expect to put on the vehicle before you upgrade to a new vehicle? Trade every 5 years without regard to milage

4. When towing, what is the average amount of time between stops? (be it restroom or fuel) 2 to 4 hours

5. How often do you stop for a period of 10 min or more? (be it restroom, stretch, eat, fuel) 2 to 4 hours

6. What is your preferred cruising speed? 62 mph

7. Do you use a rock shield? no

8. Where does the rock shield mount? (bumper,towbar,dinghy, or... so what type) NA

PHE

Mini Cooper Clubman TOAD

Itasca Medirian V Class 34' - 2010

1. How many miles do you typically dinghy tow your vehicle yearly? 12,000 miles

2. What is the total tow mileage you have on your vehicle now? 116,788

3. What is the total tow mileage you expect to put on the vehicle before you upgrade to a new vehicle? 200,000+

4. When towing, what is the average amount of time between stops? (be it restroom or fuel) I guess about 3 hours

5. How often do you stop for a period of 10 min or more? (be it restroom, stretch, eat, fuel) 4-5 times per driving day (could be 12 to 14 hours)

6. What is your preferred cruising speed? 62 MPH

7. Do you use a rock shield? Yes

8. Where does the rock shield mount? (bumper,towbar,dinghy, or... so what type) Towbar

Hi Nick,

Thank you for requesting this info.

As many as we can! (120k)

Three hours or less

Same 3 hours or less

65 MPH

Yes

Full width shield mounted below the towbar

Tom and Elaine

2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay Fred

2010 GMC Acadia

1. How many miles do you typically dinghy tow your vehicle yearly? 8,000-9,000

2. What is the total tow mileage you have on your vehicle now? 12,000

3. What is the total tow mileage you expect to put on the vehicle before you upgrade to a new vehicle? About 10 years not mileage

4. When towing, what is the average amount of time between stops? (be it restroom or fuel) 2-3 hours

5. How often do you stop for a period of 10 min or more? (be it restroom, stretch, eat, fuel) 2-3 hours

6. What is your preferred cruising speed? 67 mph

8. Where does the rock shield mount? (bumper,towbar,dinghy, or... so what type) On the towbar close to the auto

1. How many miles do you typically dinghy tow your vehicle yearly? 8000 to 12000

2. What is the total tow mileage you have on your vehicle now? 8000 (2012 Honda Fit)

3. What is the total tow mileage you expect to put on the vehicle before you upgrade to a new vehicle? 80-100K

4. When towing, what is the average amount of time between stops? (be it restroom or fuel) 10-15 minutes for fuel, 5 minutes for restroom

5. How often do you stop for a period of 10 min or more? (be it restroom, stretch, eat, fuel) every four hours

6. What is your preferred cruising speed? 65-70 mph

7. Do you use a rock shield? yes

8. Where does the rock shield mount? (bumper,towbar,dinghy, or... so what type) Towbar

I was shopping for a Chevy Cruise when I found out at the 2011 Hershey RV show that they could no longer be flat towed. I bought my first non GM car (Honda) so I could flat tow. Traded in my Impala but still have my Suburban.

1. How many miles do you typically dinghy tow your vehicle yearly? 6,000 miles

2. What is the total tow mileage you have on your vehicle now? 17,328 miles

3. What is the total tow mileage you expect to put on the vehicle before you upgrade to a new vehicle? 100,000 miles

4. When towing, what is the average amount of time between stops? (be it restroom or fuel)? 4 hours

5. How often do you stop for a period of 10 min or more? (be it restroom, stretch, eat, fuel)? 4 hours

6. What is your preferred cruising speed? 60 MPH

8. Where does the rock shield mount (bumper,towbar,dinghy, or... so what type)? Towbar

Hi Nick

1. towed miles 2000 -3000 miles / year

2.total towed 12,000 miles ( 2003 Malibu with 4T40)

3. miles before replacement less than 20,000 miles (total not towed miles)

4. stops 3- 4 hrs

5.usually 15 minutes rest every couple hrs if possible rest areas or gas

6. cruise at 60-65 mph

7. solid rubber rock guard under Motorhome rear bumper.

Rich

1. 5000

2. 15000 this vehicle

3. 75,000 plus towing

4. stops generally 3 to 4 hours

5. usually for 10 minutes

6. around 62 to 64 mph.

7. no

8.n.a.

I also suggest you look at the design of the transmissions used by Saturn. I have been towing a Saturn for 3 years now (apx. 30,000 miles). It is so simple and reliable.

1. How many miles do you typically dinghy tow your vehicle yearly? 10,000 - 12,000

2. What is the total tow mileage you have on your vehicle now? 25,000 [11 Honda CRV] previous 110,000 [04 Honda CRV]

3. What is the total tow mileage you expect to put on the vehicle before you upgrade to a new vehicle? 125,000

4. When towing, what is the average amount of time between stops? (be it restroom or fuel)? 2 hrs

5. How often do you stop for a period of 10 min or more? (be it restroom, stretch, eat, fuel)? 2 hrs

6. What is your preferred cruising speed? 60-65 mph

7. Do you use a rock shield? no

8. Where does the rock shield mount (bumper,towbar,dinghy, or... so what type)? N/A

Best Cars to tow were the 1990-92 Saturn SL series and 2001 Pontiac Sunfire. Hook it up, transmission in neutral, key in OFF - unlock stering wheel and go. No worries. At end of day transmission fine, no registration of towed miles, no dead battery, unhook and go off in car. No fuses to pull either. Also, both car weights were under 3000#, so for most states there was no legal requirement for any sort of supplemental braking system on the cars.

Towed 92 Saturn for about 60,000 miles an now have about same towed miles on a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire. Still driving Sunfire with 88 ,000 miles showing because nothing better built!

Use solid rubber rock shield on rear of coach for car front protection. Normally tow 8000 to 10,000 mile yearly. Typical hours or straight towing is 3 to 6 hours, no stops.