Sign in to follow this  
tiffinphaeton

Bike Carrier on Towed Jeep

I am towing a 2012 Jeep Wrangler behind my RV. The Jeep has a hitch that was installed by the Manufacturer. I want to purchase a bike carrier to take along a couple of bikes when we are on trips but found the website for Thule bike carriers that says you can't use their hitch mounted bike carrier on a car being towed. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, can you share your experiences with me....

Thanks,

Jim, I think this is the Mfg. doing a CMA. If the Rack can be used to carry bikes on the Jeep when you are driving it, what different does it make if the Jeep is towed?

(Cover My A--)

Herman

I carry two Mountain Bikes on the rear of my towed Jeep Wrangler quite often! I us a carrier made by Swagmann and sold at camping world called a XC 2-Bike Rack. It fits into the 2 inch receiver on my Jeep and holds the bikes by the wheels rather than by the upper bar that most carriers use. I also use the same carrier on the rear of the motorhome at times. On the Jeep, you will need to use a 12 - 14 inch hitch extender to clear the spare tire. Didn't have to do this on the Grand Cherokee that we had before the Wrangler. For what it's worth, Both Thule and Yakima recommend against using their carriers on the rear of motorhomes, as well as towed vehicles!

I have a Class C Aspect. I have this hitch mounted unit for my bikes, which still leaves the hitch free to tow a vehicle, if we wanted to. We currently do not tow a vehicle and do not plan to in the foreseeable future. The bikes at least give us some other form of transportation.

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B000CCFFR4

They also make a 4 bike one, BRS400. I like the ease of putting the bikes onto or off of this rack, vs. the car rack we have for our Sonata. Plus, most car racks use straps, which can eventually break. This one uses no straps, (neither the rubber stretch kind that hold the bike directly or the cloth web kind that hold the rack).

Jim ...

The best bicycle rack that I have ever seen is the Yakima. Most higher end bicycle stores carry it, problem is that it is a little pricey. If your bikes are heavier, ours are, frankly I wouldn't feel comfortable with the thousands and thousands of miles that we have towed with using that rack. If there is a better one available, I haven't seen it. Needs a two inch receiver to be safe and effective in my opinion.

Yakima.com will select the rack that you need if you give them the make and model of your vehicle ...