Sign in to follow this  
sfccpa

Refrigerator While In Storage

Our Allegro bus is stored in an enclosed garage 45 miles from our home. We keep the unit plugged into a 110 outlet so that the refrigerator remains cold. No food is left in the refrigerator when stored however it is nice to have a cold refrigerator when we pick up the bus.

We have a Xantrex 3000 inverter/charger, a Norcold 1210, and AGM coach batteries.

We switch off the chassis battery and, leave the inverter on. We do not switch off the coach batteries by the battery compartment.

My concern is the possible loss of power to the 110 outlet (storms, circuit breaker, etc) resulting in drainage of the AGM coach batteries.

Would it be wise to unplug the refrigerator from the bus and plug it directly to the 110 outlet when the unit is stored?

If so, we would the also switch off the coach batteries using the master switch located by the battery compartment. Then if 110 power is lost the refrigerator will not drain the AGM's.

We usually get to the coach at least once every 5-6 weeks.

Thanks in advance

Can you run an extension cord from another shore outlet to power the refrigerator? ABSOLUTELY. In fact, I am doing that right on our coach parked in my brother's driveway. 15 amp outlet with adapters to coach's 50 amp to run ONLY one A/C on low (voltage has not dropped below 112 VAC). Refrigerator on another circuit in the garage.

That would materially prolong battery life if the power went off. Since you have no food in it, no big deal. Were you interested in retaining cold in the refrigerator for a prolonged period without shore power (AND YOU HAVE ENOUGH VENTILATION WHERE IT IS STORED) you could leave the propane on and if the shore outlet/extension cord power went off, it would revert to propane.

Can't tell you how to do your battery disconnect switch. On most, the refrigerator is NOT turned off by the disconnect switch. Remember, irrespective of heat source, your refrigerator needs 12 VDC to power the brain (assuming this is an RV absorption refrigerator).

Brett

Yup, splitting up the load makes good sense if you are trying to run multiple things on 15 amp outlets OR if you want to prevent an inverter for quickly taking down a battery bank if 120 VAC goes off.

Brett

Of course, in the event of 110 power failure the refer will still draw off the batteries since it also needs 12V to run.

Will the draw on the batteries be substantially less if plugged directly into 110 or will it be the same as it would be with the refer plugged directly into the coach?

Question: "Will the draw on the batteries be substantially less if plugged directly into 110 or will it be the same as it would be with the refer plugged directly into the coach"

The battery draw will be exactly the same, whether the 120 VAC power cord for the refrigerator is plugged into the coach or directly into shore power with another extension cord.

The draw on the batteries will be a little more 12VDC if the power goes off, as it will then be working the gas valve and igniter instead of only switching of 120 VAC heating element on and off.

But, even on propane, I suspect the average draw is under 2 amps.

Brett

Why not just unplug the refer when stored? That's what we do, then plug it in the night before a trip and it's cold in the AM.

Allegiance40X

If you notice in my original post I mentioned that our unit is stored 45 minutes away from our home.

It's not exactly convenient to drive 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back the night before to turn on the refer each time we want to use the coach.

Being reasonably intelligent I do realize that the alternative to leaving the refer on.............. is to turn it off.

The purpose of my post was to find a way to leave the refer on.........and avoid the only other alternative........... of turning it off.

sfccpa,

This is what I would do: Plug in the coach when you park it. Make sure there is nothing in the fridge that will spoil and leave it running. If you have a power failure it will go off but if you have it in the auto mode it will switch to LP and will revert back to AC when the power returns. If your coach pops a breaker you will have a hot fridge when you get there. At that point I would be looking for what popped the breaker rather then being concerned about a hot fridge.

As has been said before "It happens". Buy some Ice and hope that is cools down quickly.

Also if you are going to leave your fridge on and it is a Norcold be sure you have had BOTH recalls done.

Happy RVing and cold Beers to you.

Herman

Allegiance40X

If you notice in my original post I mentioned that our unit is stored 45 minutes away from our home.

It's not exactly convenient to drive 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back the night before to turn on the refer each time we want to use the coach.

Being reasonably intelligent I do realize that the alternative to leaving the refer on.............. is to turn it off.

The purpose of my post was to find a way to leave the refer on.........and avoid the only other alternative........... of turning it off.

Just making a suggestion and expressing an opinion...not a comment on your intelligence.