Guest Wayne77590

More camping in Ohio

Guest Wayne77590

I say Amish Heartland because that is what I have read, but you know brochures!!

We arrived today at Scenic Hills RV Resort in Millersburg, Ohio. It should be Berlin, OH, but it's not. Berlin OH (pronounced BER.lin) This is a good size RV park with 3 levels of spaces. When I called this morning to see if they had space, I asked if they had PA, or GS. The person's reply was that there park discount was better than GS. The regular nightly price is $27 and 3 nights would be $70. So even with a GS 10% discount, the park discount for 3 nights is a couple bucks cheaper.

The site was level as level can be and just needed a little tweeking of the leveler/stgabilizers. There are back-ins and pull-thrus. Both are crushed rock with pea-gravel as yards on the middle level. The lower and upper levels have grass. There are 3 or 4 supersize with more grass between sites, but they are close to the service road where a lot of school busses are parked. Not so bad this time of year, but I'll be when school is in the morning traffic starts early.

Ohio has the largest Amish population. We are ready to venture out in the morning to take it all in. Miya, the puppy, goes crazy over horseys, and cows, and anything that looks like an animal.

We've stayed in Amish areas several times in OH and PA (we're natives of northeastern OH, but haven't lived there in too many years to count), and find it to be really pretty country, with very nice midwestern people. The week-end farmer's markets are GREAT as a rule, with meats, cheeses, and produce as well as cooked food available.

One of the nicest, small parks we stayed at was in Intercourse, PA. Enjoyed good food in restaurants and a place called Kitchen Kettle Village that we still order salsa and preserves from every few months. I wish I could think of the name, though I'm sure you can find it in the literature or on line. All that salt water years ago has done something to my brain....Marine-like, I think.

Anyway, the park is on two levels, with mostly big rigs on the lower. Surrounding community is nice to travel in, and the area is quiet and peaceful. Horse/buggies, quilt shops, and close to Hershey. Our Portuguese Water Dog also barks at all the animals, needs to let them know he's around.

Be safe in your travels, and enjoy.

Doc Mike

We've stayed in Amish areas several times in OH and PA (we're natives of northeastern OH, but haven't lived there in too many years to count), and find it to be really pretty country, with very nice midwestern people. The week-end farmer's markets are GREAT as a rule, with meats, cheeses, and produce as well as cooked food available.

One of the nicest, small parks we stayed at was in Intercourse, PA. Enjoyed good food in restaurants and a place called Kitchen Kettle Village that we still order salsa and preserves from every few months. I wish I could think of the name, though I'm sure you can find it in the literature or on line. All that salt water years ago has done something to my brain....Marine-like, I think.

Anyway, the park is on two levels, with mostly big rigs on the lower. Surrounding community is nice to travel in, and the area is quiet and peaceful. Horse/buggies, quilt shops, and close to Hershey. Our Portuguese Water Dog also barks at all the animals, needs to let them know he's around.

Be safe in your travels, and enjoy.

Doc Mike

Wayne....We stay at Scenic Hills at least 2 times a year. We love the area. There are a lot of good Amish restaurants in the area a new flea market a rock throw from the park, the cheese factory and a little town called charm. We will be back in Oct.

Have fun,

Road Dog

Hi, all. We are brand-new motorhome owners and FMCA members :rolleyes: and are getting acquainted with the FMCA website. The campground in Intercourse, PA is called Beacon Hill and is an "adult" campground, for folks over the age of 16. It's across the street from Sam's Farm, a working Amish farm. We stayed there for several weeks last year while still in our fifth-wheel. It was wonderful, a place we will definitely return to.

We are planning a trip to Holmes county in September. We have a 31' motorhome, towing a vehicle on all fours. Are there campgrounds that can accommodate our rig? Does anyone know about campground memberships and are they worth buying into?

we also stayed at scenic hills rv park. I would reccomend it to everyone. nice location and easy access to all areas. They seemed to be full the whole time we were there. reservations are reccomended. They do not take credit cards, just cash or personnel check We hope to go back again.

Guest Wayne77590

Garysharon,

Sorry I missed you post the first time around. I think by now you found that most of the CG's in the area can accomodate your rig and TOAD.

Where did you end up staying, and how did you like it?

re Campground membership

We are planning a trip to Holmes county in September. We have a 31' motorhome, towing a vehicle on all fours. Are there campgrounds that can accommodate our rig? Does anyone know about campground memberships and are they worth buying into?

I would not buy untill you have returned at least three time to a same campgroung Fam as Idon't find it conveint to move to the next one or be restricted on length of stay. Non member ships often have a lower monthly rate an have worked well for Us

Rosco Junction City Or