coreygrubb

French Quarter RV Park

Years ago we stayed at New Orleans KOA, 11129 Jefferson Hwy River Ridge, LA. All back-in sites and the price is about $55 a night with membership. Add 10% without.  Driving to it I was concerned about the neighborhood but upon arrival and talking with staff they don't have (didn't at that time anyhow) a problem. We did not have a problem. At that time the had a shuttle to the French Quarter. We did not use it and just used the TOAD. It is about 12 miles from the French Quarter.  I would use it again if the Military RV park was full.

Great city, I hope to visit again. We had dinner this evening at the Red Fish Grill and it was excellent! So many good places to eat and not enough time and money.

ACME Oyster House comes to mind...:)

Roland, what kind of food you want in Lafayette?  Are you overnighting?  Fezzo's Sea Food on I-10 Service rd. just past Harley Davidson in Scott, LA. Exit #101.  Or Don's Sea Food I-10 SR Lafayette!  There's more, but it's down Hwy 67 thru town...not recommended in a coach!

If you ever want to explore the Cajun Country, you can stay with full h/u at the Fair Grounds in Rayne, LA. Exit #87. $15, there is a Fezzo's there also.  KOA in Scott, La. just off I-10, Bills serve up some fine food to go, best Cracklins!  Frog City RV Park, exit 95, between Scott & Rayne!  

We all have to have food & because of that, we might as well find the best, in any given area...that don't mean the most expensive!  In NO, get away from the FQ, 7th ward in the day time, you'll find some of the best Chef's at reasonable price's! :wub:

We are staying at Frog City for 2 nights. Went to Acme Oyster House yesterday, um um good! I agree, expensive doesn’t mean best. I am afraid that if I lived here I would gain 50#.

We have stayed at the KOA in Scott. LA. Have reservations there for a one nighter on the 6th. Only place I would stay there is in the new section in the back.

Wayne,  agree!  The old section is great, if your under 30 foot and no slides!  It's really old, stayed there the first time in 1976!!!

Frog City is real good for one night, easy in and out...handy fuel stop next door, but no truck noise!   If I'm staying in that area for more time, then I go to the camp in Kaplan, LA. Linda & I will be there for Easter...crawfish, crayfish, mudbugs=good eats! Specially when it's free!

Roland -

Glad you're enjoying your time in Louisiana but am sad to hear about your water leak.  In the Houston area, I've had good repair service from both Cummins Coach Care and RV Masters.  If you call ahead one of them they may be able to provide some prompt help finding and repairing your water leak.  If one of those repair shops can not provide prompt help, I also have had good prompt help from Reynolds Mobile RV Repair --> http://www.rvrepairinhoustontx.com/   Reynolds does not perform chassis work but can repair most any coach item.  I don't know if they travel to Galveston to do repair work.

Since you've already made it past Lafayette you already know about the horrible bumpy ride and construction on I-10 between Lafayette and the Atchafalaya Basin.   You will have another very rough ride on I-10 between Lake Charles and Sulphur.   As you near the Sabine River (Texas / Louisiana state line) you will start into a another very rough and very narrow construction area from the state line through Beaumont to Winnie, TX.   TXDOT has been working very slowly the last three years widening I-10 (several new bridges, lots of new elevated "fill" areas, etc. which is all slow construction) and has spent very little time or money maintaining the existing I-10.   During my adventures to/from Baton Rouge this past fall I simply slowed down to 55 mph to help reduce some the banging from the bad highway AND to make sure the rough road didn't through me into concrete barriers which are just inches away when driving in either left or right lanes (there are no shoulders on either side in the construction zones!).   I'm sad to say that I-10 from the Texas/Louisiana state line to Winnie, TX will beat the heck out of your motorhome so take your time, and make sure everything inside is secured i.e. don't leave your coffee maker or anything else on a counter and don't be surprised if a drawer or cabinet door flies open.  

When do you plan to arrive in Galveston?  The weather starting this weekend and through next week is forecast to be gorgeous "winter" weather for the Houston / Galveston area -- sunny days with highs near 70 F and lows around 50 F.

Mike, now you know why you need a tag axle...I have yet to take things off counters! :P That includes Hwy 35 from Crowley to Kaplan!  Or Hwy 67 from I-10 to Abbyville.  

Roland, I'm assuming you will take the free Bolivar Ferry across to Galveston and not come all the way in to Houston. Take the Hwy 124 exit at Winnie.

Carl --

This comment distracts from the original topic, but do tag axles make a significant difference is smoothing-out the ride?  I can see tag axles helping minimize sway and are needed for weight distribution for larger motorhomes.    My problem would be convincing the wife we "must have" a larger motorhome with tag axles to make our journeys more enjoyable.

4 hours ago, fagnaml said:

My problem would be convincing the wife we "must have" a larger motorhome with tag axles to make our journeys more enjoyable.

Take her for a test ride.😉

Bill

Mike, in a word? Yes!  However, you don't have to go to 45 foot and 47,000 pounds for the ride!  In 1974 I rode in a GMC 24 foot and the ride was equal to a Cadillac, the roads was not real wonderful in Norway back then...mostly cobblestone! :rolleyes:  Newmar Vantana 40' comes to mind and also Dutch Star in 2014 had a 38', both models with tag!

Now we can get back to OP!

We are staying at Frog City for 2 nights. Went to Acme Oyster House yesterday, um um good! I agree, expensive doesn’t mean best. I am afraid that if I lived here I would gain 50#.

We will be in Galveston Saturday and staying for 1 week, then down to Corpus Christi for a week before going to RGV. Reguarding the leak, it only seems active when using campgroung water. Not leaking when using fresh water tank. 

Wayne, the Frog City Park is fine. Small park but open and plenty of pull thru spots for big rigs. There is some noise from highway but didn’t keep me from sleeping.

Roland,

I live in Texas City about 14 miles from Galveston. When we are going East, or coming back from the East we always take TX-146. It is at mile marker 798.  We have traveled all ways and this is the easiest way that we have found.  Yes, there are some stop and go's but it is 4 lane 99% of the way.  The Fred Hartman Bridge is at the Houston Ship Channel and is about 2.5 miles long and about 400 ft high. It is 8 lanes (4 each way) and I never had a problem with the previous MH with the 340 ISB, and towing.

TX-146 will merge into I-45 at the Texas City Wye. If you do plan on coming that way. There is one underpass but it is 13' 7" and should be no problem. I can give an alternate route to avoid the 13' 7" if needed.  Also, in Texas City there are two fueling stations now on 146. If you come this way there is a Chevron on the left side 1/2 mile just past the 1764 hwy. The other one is new and it is an Oaisis just past Hwy 519. Diesel prices at these two convenient locations is not as cheap as off the beaten path but beaten path is out of the way - a little.  Chevron is $2.70 and Oaisis is proud of their Diesel at $2.99.  Off the beaten path is $2.77. At 100 gallons it's not worth the effort to go off the route for $22, just don't buy beer for one day..

Ah shucks! I was writing this when y'all posted.  We leave Sunday so we'll be missing you. Wave when you see us going by.

Look fast and for the colors.

IMG_6908.jpg

Roland, when you leave RV Park, turn right and go the length of the Island, you'll have to pay $4 at the bridge, but is a nice scenic hwy, when you get to surfside take a right over the Intracostal Bridge and go to the first light, about 4+ miles, turn left and follow road around, until you get to Hwy 36, turn right and stay on 36 about 25 miles, then turn left on Hwy 521.  You can stay on it all the way to Hwy 35 or you can turn off at the Bay City rd. and it will take you to Hwy 35, then turn left. :) 

IMHO, I would stay on 521 until it merges into 35!  Interesting drive & if the little cafe, say's Sea Food, or Cat fish, it will be good eat's.  Little Rustic, but good.  Where the trucks are parked, guaranteed. :D

When in Galveston.  Try Shrimp & Stuff and Press Box for Lunch.  Dinner, Salt Grass, Fish Tales, Fisherman Warf, Guido's, Landry's or fish taco at Salsa!  Mario's has great Italian...they also have a Lunch Buffet,  Galves Hotel, has a Sunday Brunch to die for, make a Reservation!

1 hour ago, wayne77590 said:

Ah shucks! I was writing this when y'all posted.  We leave Sunday so we'll be missing you. Wave when you see us going by.

Look fast and for the colors.

IMG_6908.jpg

Nice looking coach, I love the chrome along the bottom!

Ate at Fezzo’s tonight, really good Cajun food for a northerner! Right across the road from Scott KOA,6 miles from Frog City. On to Galveston tomorrow, hope to get leak sorted out there.

Thanks Joe. We lost our 2008 MH to Harvey and the insurance was good to us...otherwise..

The chrome is a nice touch.  The also have LED lights on the front that goes down the inside of the opening to the generator compartment. Each leg is 21" long and is in a "\ /" shape.

I took out the "outside kitchen" for more storage space. The outside kitchen slide out of the compartment and had a 1 burner induction top, a small refrigerator or freeze (owners choice of which switch to press) and a small roll up compartment.  The burner in my opinion was to close to the side of the MH and I would never cook bacon or other splattering items on it.

Roland,

We are staying one night at that KOA in Scott. They have a new back section that is real amiable to long RV's towing.  Billy's Boudin and Cracklin are just outside the RV Park. No eat-in, just take out.

We stayed here last year a week in February. Under the highway but we weren't bothered by that. They have excellent directions on how to get into the park from the highway. The park has a high brick wall with razor wire on top which made us feel safe. The amenities are very nice and the workers very helpful. Easy talk to French Quarter