coreygrubb

French Quarter RV Park

We stayed right outside the French Quarter in New Orleans, You can walk to most of the attractions, otherwise you are just steps away from public transportation. The park is walled and gated. Gets a little pricey when there is an event going on at the superdome. We are making this a yearly trek. The link to the park is http://fqrv.com

When we were there is was walled, gated and had an armed guard at the gate. While Bourbon street was about 2 blocks away they recommended that we not walk as it was not safe. It is a great location and a nice, relatively new park. It's just not the best part of town. We stayed there a number of years ago but I have not heard that anything has changed.

It was a couple years ago when we stayed at FQRV and while a bit on the high side in price we would stay there again. clean, safe, convenient and nice.

Anyone have anything else to add on this RV park? We are traveling there this summer and I had some concerns about the route in and out with a 42' motorhome not being familiar with the area. We plan on walking to the French Quarter to check out some sights during the day, the usual tourist stuff.

Kay, planning on heading down I-81S from PA, I-40, I-59, I-20 back to I-59, I-10 to exit 235A in New Orleans, CG looks close to the exit. Unsure of the roads down in the city. Early August I believe is the plan.

Joe, check with someone who has been on the east side of NO and I-10.  The last time I drove it I was in a 5th wheel and I had to slow down to 25 mph because of the wavy road. I don't know if they have fixed it but an alternative way in would be better than that wavy road I was on back then.

We have stayed at the New Orleans West KOA twice.  Like other parts of NO, when you are driving to it you ask yourself, what am I getting into, but once we were in the park it was okay. I asked about security and the Host said they do not have a problem.   That was then, it is now, now.

Wayne, good info, hopefully someone will chime in. Last trip down there was in 2013 we came from California all the way down I-10 through Texas. Stopped in San Antonio KOA and Baton Rouge KOA and ran I-10 to I-12 back to I-10 to I-65 and up from there, it was December and I was trying to get home between snow storms so I didn't have to drive the old motorhome in the snow. I do not recall the roads being bad, I do remember a long bridge along the way I believe it was closer to Texas for a long while being just over the swamps. DW hated that bridge, it was like riding a horse in the gasser coach back then.

Yup, that's it thanks Brett! 

Good, we will not be traveling over that, I guess the DP we have now would handle it better but....DW won't!

You will not be crossing that bridge going the route stated. You will pass within 3.5 miles of my house which is just after going through B'ham. I crossed that bridge the last of February in an automobile, was not too bad at that time, and I did see quite a few large semi's crossing at that time with no apparent problems, though there was a big delay coming back home due to construction on the interstate east of the bridge, you will not be going anywhere near that same construction. I-59 between Chattanooga Tn. and Ft. Payne Al has been resurfaced about 80% at this time, and is much better than before, I-59 has minor construction just before I-12, no major delays.

9 hours ago, jleamont said:

Anyone have anything else to add on this RV park? We are traveling there this summer and I had some concerns about the route in and out with a 42' motorhome not being familiar with the area. We plan on walking to the French Quarter to check out some sights during the day, the usual tourist stuff.

Hey Joe,

We've stayed at the French Quarter RV park several times.  Pricey but extremely secure and close to the Quarter.  The center of the Quarter is just a couple of blocks from the park.  Sometimes we're able to get the park employees to take us there via golf cart.  During the day, its an easy walk and safe.  After an evening in the Quarter we hire a horse and buggy and have them drop us off at the park.  Cost is usually around $20 plus tip.

Last time we were there one of the US Naval Fleets were in town.  It was awesome to see and visit with all the sailors and Marines (our daughter served in the Navy).  They were on their best behavior and having a ball.  We've also taken the river dinner cruise.  That was a lot of fun and very informative.

Navigating through town is easy and we've never had a problem with our 40' Monaco and toad.  You will have to unhook before parking if you get a space on the "wall" because you'll be backing in.

There's a nice club house and pool area with BBQ grills that you can use.

Have fun........!!

Blake

Yep, the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge. I didn't find it bad as far as roads go and different times of the year you get a different feeling when crossing over. Sometimes the water is high, like now, and other times it looks like a dismal swamp.  Lots of locals go fishing in that basin but I'm sure I'd ask for a guide trying to navigate those waters.

I hope someone comes along with an update on the East side of I-10 into NO with road conditions. I'd like to know also.

Sorry, I didn't put enough info, while I was traveling in Feb., Construction about 6 miles east of the bridge was down to one lane for about a mile, was a busy time of the day 5 pm there had been a wreck because, you probably guessed it, some nuts, wouldn't move to the proper lane that was signified as soon as they came off of the bridge, took two plus hours to get passed it.

Blake, Wayne and Kay, thanks for the information. I might do the horse and buggy trip back to the park, everyone will get a kick out of that. Good to know about the park, I get nervous traveling to parks I am unfamiliar with due to the size and weight of our DP. I have to be cautious of bridge weight limits and overhead clearances. Turns I do not get to worried about often, unless they are beyond 90 degrees, then it can get interesting especially when you take up the intersection to avoid curbs. Being an old city I was concerned the roads were full of tight turns and narrow roads, from Google earth they do not look that bad. Then there is the age old question that you hear often, what are the roads like in route? Kay answered that, no too bad some under construction etc. Its a short trip to the city, just enough for a cram session to take it in (kids have been asking to go), if we like it maybe add it for a later date return trip, who knows. DW and I went there in 1999 for Mardi Gras (before kids) and we had fun, after Katrina I have heard its not the same. I guess this short trip will tell. Afterwards we will be headed to TN to unwind.

Thanks Guys!

Joe,

Was just perusing the Passport America campground book and found French Quarter RV Resort listed.  So, if you are a Passport America member you can get a site for $48 a night.  Everyone else pays $96.  Holidays and weekends don't apply though.

Our Passport America membership cost $45 (if I remember correctly).  So, payout in this case is a one night stay there!

Blake

I just reserved a spot for more than two weeks from now, since my mother-in-law wanted to see New Orleans. I was concerned about getting in and out of the park with a 45' coach pulling a 20' car hauler, but was told such rigs are common in the park. I swallowed and signed up for the $340 two-night stay, our most pricey in eight years of RV'ing.

Four hours later, my guest's schedule changed, and I called the park well within the advertised 10-day cancellation period.

The park told me that there is a $50 cancellation fee regardless of when it is required.

Use caution, when making reservations here.

On 4/20/2016 at 10:06 AM, jleamont said:

Speaking from experience,(we were there 2014)  inspect Google maps for access to the French Quarter RV resort before getting to NOLA. My GPS did not identify the turn correctly. I had to go around the 2-block area 2X to get it right. The entrance is designed on an angle, making entry and departure a one-way affair for 40' and over MH's W/towed.

When we were there, there were also 14 Marathon Prevosts there for a rally. A washing/waxing company was there for a week working on all 14 MH's.

We also walked to the FQ each day, at night we took a cab back to the MH, not because we were worried about violence, we were simply too tired to walk home.

Oh, check the Saints game schedule, the RV resort is booked a year in advance for home games.

On 4/20/2016 at 7:06 AM, jleamont said:

It is hot as heck there during the summer and not enough shade.  Yes, eggs will fry on the sidewalk.