Sign in to follow this  
derh2o

Freezer Icing Over

We have a Monaco B+ with a Norcold refrigerator. It seems like I need to defrost it ever couple of days as ice builds up. I would think this would be a refrigerator problem, but our earlier RV, a 5th wheel, had the same problem. This makes me think the problem is me, not the refrigerator. I am at a lost to figure out what i am doing wrong. I think filling the refrigerator full, like my wife likes to do, probably adds to the problem. I did put a fan in the refrigerator compartment, but still have the problem. Any ideas out there?

First thought is Door seals. The fact that you have had this problem with 2 different refrigerators, with the same issue kind of rules that thought out.

You mentioned that you pack them full, so there could be something blocking the door just enough to keep the magnetic seal(s) from sealing, just the slightest gap would be enough to cause a problem.

You have used one for a few years, but have you checked the setup of some switches inside and at the top of the refrigerator like Low ambient and Climate control switches that are often out of sight at the top of the refrigerator door opening?

Rich.

First, want to make sure I understand the problem. Is the freezer building up ice that requires defrosting every few days or is it the fins in the refrigerator?

As Rich said, for either the first thing to check is the door gaskets. Use the "dollar bill test". As you move the bill around the seal area, you should have firm, consistent resistance. If not, the door needs to be adjusted or gasket replaced.

If this is the refrigerator fins icing up, verify that there is a reducer in the outboard end of the condensate drain. If not, warm, humid air is continually being let into the refrigerator.

If this is the freezer, making large quantities of ice will add a lot of moisture to the freezer and accelerate the need to defrost.

Brett

Thanks to those who are helping.

Our MH is 6 months old, so the seals are good, although I did check to be sure the door is adjusted properly.

Here are answers to some of your questions:

I have the frig set on 3 or 4.

The ice is building up on the back and floor of the freezer and sometimes on the sides. The frig fins are fine.

I have not checked the ambient level-good thought. any more ideas would be helpful.