Sign in to follow this  
Pxr177

Towing Baseplate Pontiac Sunfire

I am preparing to tow my Pontiac Sunfire this year. I will be towing it flat, 4 wheels down. I have the proper towbar, now I need to install a baseplate. Anyone who has done this, I would welcome comments.

Questions:

Does it need a specific towbar for a Sunfire, or will a generic one do?

Is it easy to install, or better done by a mechanic?

If a mechanic, whats a reasonable cost?

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

You did not mention the year model of your Pontiac, but some of the tow bar manufacturers have on line installation manuals for each vehicle, so you could go through it and see if it is something you want to tackle and/or approximate installation time.

Here is one-- just enter the specific vehicle information: http://www.roadmasterinc.com/vehicle_guide/tow_bar_brackets.php

I have done a Chev Malibu, a Chev Meto, 2 Pontiac Vibes, a Pontiac Grad Prix, and a Chev Equinox using Roadmaster products. All installs took less than 4 hours for the base plates with standard mechanics tools. On one, I did need to drill a 3/8 in hole. The wireing for the turn signals and brake lights took much longer because I like to use the existing lights of the towed auto. Roadmaster has excellent directions for installing their baseplates and wiring.

Brett gave you Roadmaster's web site.