My husband and I have been married barely over a year and do not have any children yet. We are currently living in a 36' 1993 Hitchhiker, Champagn Edition, which is very convenient because my husband works for an oil pipeline building company, and we move a lot. It has a superslide, but with only one bedroom it is not large enough for us to have a family in. We have been looking into building our own motorhome, with several slide-outs, but cannot seem to find any manufacturers of slide-out kits. I haven't even been able to locate a company that will just let us buy the shell of a camper with the slide-outs where we want them. Does anyone know where I can buy slide-out kits, the shells of a fifth wheel, or anything like that? I'd really appreciate the help... Thanks!

-Emily

Emily, There are so many preowned RVs on the market today it would make it impratical to take on such a project. You can purchase many different coaches with up to 4 slideouts. Some even have what is called a full body slideout.

However HWH makes slide components.

That will be quite an undertaking. If you are going to attempt it then you might check out RV salvage yards for used ones. I remember seeing a motorhome online a couple of years ago that had an optional room that could be setup as a study, a small bedroom or a walkin closet. Wish I could remember the company, but maybe you can google some of those features and find it. Or maybe someone here will remember it and post the name. I never saw one, only online pics so it may have just been a prototype or something.

Good luck!

Jack

Emily,

Interesting Question!

Like Herman mentioned, there are a number of different used units on the market. Some come with bunk beds that work well for little ones.

Regarding your question on a supplier for a Camper shell, be it a class C or A one would need to contact a coach builder with the question. It would be a pay up front item.

You can get about anything and as the song goes! If you got the money honey I have got the time.

Power Gear and HWH make slider systems. Putting a complete Slide Kit together is common for Coach manufactures, so it you have a plan that you could submit to a builder they might put everything together for you. It just comes down to cost.

You might also consider picking up a used unit and modifying it to meet your needs. It would be labor intensive and require a work space and the ability to work with the sidewall panels.

Being on the move might prove to be an issue.

Rich.

Emily, There are so many preowned RVs on the market today it would make it impratical to take on such a project. You can purchase many different coaches with up to 4 slideouts. Some even have what is called a full body slideout.

However HWH makes slide components.

Ditto. A friend just sold a perfect late-model Country Coach that was meticulously maintained and always stored indoors for 46% of its book value. The market is truly in the dumps, and represents a rare opportunity for anyone buying a first motorhome. I don't think you could build one for what you'd spend buying the equivalent.