MikeL

Using 30 Amp Service For 2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x

We are new to motorcoach owning.

We have never used 30 amp service for our coach so do not know how it will handle it.

We are thinking of going to the FMCA Indy rally but only 30 amp is available....any input would be appreciated.

Mike,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Assume your coach is equipped with 50 amp shore power.

If so, all you need to use 30 amp is a 30 amp male to 50 amp female adapter. Available at all RV stores and many Walmarts.

The only difference is that you must limit your electrical consumption to under 30 amps.

BTW, I HIGHLY recommend coming to an FMCA Convention to anyone new to motorhoming. The number of free seminars that will help bring you up to speed on the many systems in your coach are well worthwhile.

Brett

There's nothing special about 30 amp service, you just have less power available for use. 50 amp service actually provides 50 amp on 2 separate legs or a total of 100 amps. With 30 amp service you will be sharing 30 amps over all of your connections. First, you will need a 50 amp to 30 amp "dog leg" adapter so you can plug in your coach into a 30 amp plug. Other than that you just have to be very aware of what is on and how much power you are using. Generally, that means you can only run one A/C unit at a time. You will want to ensure your elec. water heater is off and that you be careful about running the A/C, a coffee maker and a hair dryer all at the same time. It's a bit of a learning curve as there are usually small draws you never paid attention to in the past (the battery charger, etc.) but you will catch on pretty quickly.

Edit: Brett and I just love posting at the exact same time!

I don't think you can use your generator in an electric area. There are those that have registered for elecric service to be away from the noise and fumes of other motor home generators. But you can register for non-electric and run you generator during daylight hours. Also, there is a full generator (24 hours) area available.

The key to living with 30 amp service is to watch the amps you are using. Try not to turn on too many appliances the first day because your battery charger will be using amps that are not usually measured as the first load. Be sure your water heater is on gas and not electric. Turn refrigerator to LPG. You should be able to run one air conditioner and maybe two (only) if they are small or are heat pumps.

Full generator works better than 30 amp for me. Noise has never been a problem for me. Depending on where you are in 30 amp area you could be close to a large, noisier generator.

Will the generator area require use of a Genturi device to channel the exhaust up over the roof. Not a bad investment if you don't have one.

The manual for our coach had an extensive listing of the amperage for various pieces of equipment installed on the coach (TV, water heater, refrigerator, etc.) as well as those items which might be carried in your motor home (coffee maker, hair dryer, vacuum cleaner, etc.). You can also look on the labels on most electrical devices to find the amperage that each draws.

We are fortunate to have a monitoring system that allows me to see just what our use is at any time. Once you have a little experience it only takes a little extra thought and care to stay with 30A. We in 100 degree heat right now with 30A service. We're only here for two days and I haven't put up the sun screens so I'm paying the price. I do have all the awnings out. Still the afternoon sun is shining brightly on the windshield. Until it starts to fade in the evening we'll be a little warmer than normal. One air conditioner would work fine if I had the window screens on. Tomorrow we'll be back in a park with 50A.

Will the generator area require use of a Genturi device to channel the exhaust up over the roof. Not a bad investment if you don't have one.

No. Just one, don't use one. It's just fine. Your neighbor may or may not like your fumes, but that's not your fault!

Went to the Daytona 500 last year..Stayed in the generator area...If you didn't have a Genturi to get the exhaust up over the roof, you couldn't run your generator...That simple..Go by the rules or go home!!

We are in a site with only 30-amp power, here for six weeks.

My mistake in not insuring I had a 50-amp site, but that is another story. Fortunately, the weather doesn't require full air conditioning. We also have a monitor that tells us how many amps we are drawing at any given time. I leave my water heater and fridge both on electric; however, when we use the coffee pot, tea kettle, etc., I turn off the water heater and monitor the use. Even can use one of the heat pumps if necessary. As many have stated, it only takes an awareness of how much power you are using at any particular time. Keep in mind that appliances that use electricity to heat draw a lot of amps - toasters, coffee pots, electric heaters, etc.

GM