Sign in to follow this  
CountryCoach2000

Real World Towing Experience

We have a 2000 Country Coach 40' with a Cummins 330 ISC and are looking for our first toad. The people that owned her before us towed a Jeep Grand Cheokee which is our first choice as well. But, my dad, who has a lot more experience than we do, is saying we would be much happier with a lighter vehicle like the Chevrolet Malibu they tow. So my question for all you experienced RVers out there, is he correct, or would the added weight not be that big of deal since we will be well below our GVW and 1/2 the coach's towing capacity. Since we are not full timers, most of our travels will be within 3 hours of home and only dealing with passes once or twice a year for big trips. Anything else to consider?

Thanks in advance and safe travels to everyone.

The weight to be concerned with is the coach's GCWR, not the GVWR. Add the loaded weights of the RV and toad, if it is below the GCWR, I see no problem.

Actually, the LESSER of the following determines towing capacity:

GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) MINUS actual loaded weight of coach.

Hitch capacity (do NOT assume that what is printed on the hitch is the towing capacity-- often coach manufacturers buy a heavier hitch and use it on a number of different models-- not all of which have the same towing capacity)

Chassis maker's towing capacity (something like transmission may be the limiter)

Coach maker's towing capacity (there are quite a few coaches built with frame extensions that are much less strong than the chassis maker's frame, so the coach maker degrades the towing capacity)

Brett

Thank you for the clarification. Basically we would be under by 2000 lbs with the Cherokee.

I think my dad was trying to say that a relatively heavy vehicle like the Jeep Grand Cherokee will not be as enjoyable to tow as a lighter sedan.

Again, we are part timers and will rarely deal with passes. Our toad will have to function as the family's everyday car as well so we thought the added weight would be an ok trade off. But, I don't want to get into a situation where I will end up stressing out while driving.

Thanks for your thoughts!

It would REALLY surprise me if a Jeep Cherokee was under 2000 pounds.

Not suggesting that you don't want to tow it, but it does weigh well more than 2000.

Brett

Sorry. What I meant to say is that we would be 2000 under the GCVW with the Cherokee. It weighs around 4800 lbs.

What I was looking for feedback on is what I may expect the difference in driving experience with a 4800 lb tow rig compared with a sedan that may be around 3200 with my particular coach.

Thanks again!

We drove a 94 Dynasty w/Cummins C350 for three years and towed a light weight sedan for two of those years. Then we purchased our present toad which comes in at 5800 pounds. I couldn't tell the difference between the two. I could detect a little better performance when we didn't have the toad but it wasn't that big a deal. I wouldn't hesitate to tow the heavier vehicle. You will need a little more stopping room, even with the supplemental breaking system you should install. Starts and hill climbs will be a little slower than the coach by itself. More weight does mean a little lower fuel mileage. When you get to where you're going you will have the vehicle you want to go exploring.

I towed a 2007 Grand Cherokee for 4 years. I couldn't really notice it being back there, other than the obvious "see it in the rear camera". Our current Wrangler is the same. Both are in the 4500 - 5000 lb category. With the Country Coach that you have, you won't notice the difference between the Jeep and the Malibu. You would notice a difference with a smaller lighter Coach with a gas engine. The Jeep will be more useful to you if you do any exploring when you travel!