Bud2chill

HWH Leveling System Won't Store

I have HWH 325 series in my 05 Itasca 33V with Workhorse Chassis.

Can't get all stabilizers up. Usually it is curbside rear that stops about halfway up. All store retractions very slow.

New to this Motor Home.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bud,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I would call HWH on Monday-- they are very good with troubleshooting (as are their manuals). Most manuals are on-line at:

http://www.hwhcorp.com/service34.html.

There were issues on some jacks with weak return springs-- don't know if your series/year was involved.

HWH 800 321-3494 or 563 724-3396.

Brett

We have HWH with slow retract on our coach. I purchased a 6' crow bar and use it with wooden blocks for leverage to "help" with final retract. Has worked well for last couple years though a little inconvenient.

We have HWH with slow retract on our coach. I purchased a 6' crow bar and use it with wooden blocks for leverage to "help" with final retract. Has worked well for last couple years though a little inconvenient.

I wouldn't have the patience to do what you do. I would have to figure out what the problem is and fix it.

I have HWH 325 series in my 05 Itasca 33V with Workhorse Chassis.

Can't get all stabilizers up. Usually it is curbside rear that stops about halfway up. All store retractions very slow.

New to this Motor Home.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I just had this problem. Someone suggested it might be low fluid level, ie the reservoir is at its lowest upon full extension. Cold temps, dirt, lack of lubrication could all be factors, too. Good luck. I hope you have a happier ending than us: I pull the leg tomorrow for repack <sigh>

My drivers side jack was slow retracting, put new springs on same story. Used WD-40 just before retract and it went right up, but would stick again the next time I used it. I decided to experiment and cleaned shaft and applied petroleum jelly to shaft. Unit started retracting as designed and has continued to do so for the last several months without further application. Please note someone on this or another forum said it was not good to apply petroleum product to shaft, something about seals, I decided I would take a chance since it seemed to work with no leaking the next step would have been replace the cylinder!

Actually I believe you have it reversed. WD-40 is not a lubricate and should not be used as it will dry out the rubber seals.

I think it depends on the maker of the jack system, one says not to use WD 40, another says it's OK .....check your manual..

WD-40 isn't actually a true lubricant. WD stands for "water displacing" and its main use is as a solvent or rust dissolver.

The lubricant-like properties of WD-40 come not from the substance itself, but from dissolving components. And the effect doesn't last.

WD-40 can be a good substance to start with — it can help clean up rust or other grime. But depending on what you're working with, you should probably follow up WD-40 with use of a true lubricant such as one based on silicone, grease, Teflon, or graphite. In the case of the leveler shafts, I'd prefer to use a dry lubricant, sprayed liberally on the shaft while it's extended just prior to retracting them.

Bud2chill, welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice so far. I cleaned the shafts and sprayed them with silicone dry spray. Then I ran them about 6 times. I think the levelers need to be used/ exercised just like other systems on your coach. Most problems come from lack of use.

Bill

We have a 2007 Winnebago Adventurer, I called HWH and was told to use WD40 and it has solved my problem of slow retract for the last few years I spray about every month and it works great.