ronpatkni

Styrofoam Coming Out AC Vents

We own a 34 ft '07 Fleetwood Fiesta.

We have had a problem for the past several months with Styrofoam balls coming out of the AC vents when we turn it on. The most of them come out in the rear AC vents, but some come out up front, and to a lesser degree the vents in the center of the motorhome.

We recently had it in for service on the generator. When they started up the AC after repairing the generator, there was quite a lot of Styrofoam balls on the bed and floor in the rear of the motorhome. Up front, there was some but not near as much as in the rear. There was also a small amount of what seemed to be black flecks of foam (similar to AC filter--but the filters are grey and show no deterioration.

We removed all the vent covers and the filter covers. I found that the AC ducting is composed of Styrofoam. I vacuumed all the ductwork that I could get to with the vacuum hose. I got about 1 cup of Styrofoam balls and a couple small chunks of Styrofoam.

We called Fleetwood when we first experienced the problem. They suggested that loose Styrofoam had worked itself loose in travel, and that it should not be a continuing problem.

We did have a little mouse problem, but we caught them in traps. We also put Bounce sheets all over the area we found them in, and removed all food from the area. We see no tracings from any mice now. Could they have contributed to the problem?

We have the motorhome stored in a clean storage lot.

We just returned from the motorhome. We ran both AC's and there was very little Styrofoam that came out of the vents. I believe that could have been tiny amounts that I missed when I vacuumed out the ductwork.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, do can you help us understand and avoid this problem in the future?

We have not had this problem but as I was reading your post I thought to myself that there are mice involved. I can't think of another explanation except for the inevitable construction debris that happens during manufacturing, but all of that should have been blown out long before now. Fleetwood's suggestion seems a little extreme unless you have been racing down some pretty rough roads.

Don

Take your leaf blower to the ducts. At approx 200MPH you should blow out any loose styrofoam. Possibly more will work loose over time thru vibration and bouncing but it should be minimal.

We had the same thing happen about a year ago. I found mice droppings in the back where the spare tire would go [if i had one].

Ours is stored in our backyard next to a hedgerow. I thought I would seal all the holes but after looking closer there is no way to seal all of them. I put 2 traps back there and check them about twice a week.

So far the traps have not been tripped and I haven't seen anymore signs of them. I still have a piece of Styrofoam come out occasionally but I think it is just from the original problem. I'm just thankful a snake didn't get in there and my wife found out. I would be traveling alone.

ccmsm

Shortly after we got our first motorhome we parked under a tree. A limb was lightly touching the roof but I didn't think too much of it. Then we found ants on the bedspread and sure enough ants had invaded the air conditioner. It didn't take too long to get rid of them but it did take some persistence to keep checking and finding the last few. I believe ants could be responsible for this kind of damage also.

My experience with beaded styrofoam, actually expanded polystyrene aka EPS, has been that it tends to deteriorate slowly over time with beads coming loose on a more or less continuous basis. Exposure to atmospheric gases and ozone in particular can result in degradatiion of the polystyrene itself. At any rate, I would expect that there will always be a few beads escaping their bounds and coming from the vents.

Hi All, first time owner here with a 2009 Fleetwood Fiesta LX 29vs. Owned for 5 weeks now and just discovered the same problem for the first time. I figured it was a critter problem and this stuff makes me crazy! Seems to be in the rear vents only. (2 A/C units)

Here's my question:
If I remove the AC unit will that give me total access to all the "duct work" so I can make sure they are all gone?

The air flow from the vents is minimal compared to the front unit. Probably blocked, but is it possible that they have made holes in the styro ducts which is allowing the air to escape elsewhere and not into the bedroom? If so can it be repaired? Should I remove the AC unit or would that be a waste of time and effort? Thanks for any further suggestions!
Rickford

Rick,

Welcome to the Forum. Are you a FMCA member? If not come and join this wonderful group of folks.

Is your A/C vented with several outlets or just one vent. Our coach has vents and they are sheet metal. You may have to remove the unit but I would start with a flash light and mirror and look for a nest of some sort.

Good luck on finding your blockage.

Thanks for the prompt reply! I have several vents on both units. Problem seems only in the rear vents above the bed. This just started so hopefully I can get the buggers. Not having owned a MH before I'm not ssure exactly how they're built.

When I look up into the vent I see Styrofoam? Also, I don't see any screws, are the louvered vents just snapped in?

I'm a pretty good mechanic so no worries about taking stuff apart! (With a little advise)

Thanks.

We had this issue on our first coach and it was 100% a result of a mouse infestation. I accidentally left a banana and orange in a plastic bag in a drawer in between trips while the coach sat in a storage unit. Gave me the creeps when I saw all that styrofoam fly out of the ducts......good luck!