Sign in to follow this  
captbob

Norcold Refrigerator 1200 4 Door Cooling Fans

Can anyone tell me how to check the cooling fans for operation on my Norcold 1200?

I never hear them running on my current 2006 coach. On my previous 2005 coach, I could hear the fan cycle on and off.

The refer seems to be working OK, but I never hear the fan noise from outside the coach at the access panel.

Thanks for any help.

Bob

Edited by captbob

Bob,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I assume the fans you are talking about are at the top back (outside access area). If so, check with your coach maker-- they may be on a switch or they may be on a thermostat.

You might also use a flashlight and mirror and look up in the refrigerator outside access area to see where the wires go from the fans.

Brett

I HAVE REPLACED MY COOLING UNIT WITH A NEW UNIT BUILT BY THE AMISH. MY COOLING FANS ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COOLING UNIT. ON YOUR NORCOLD THEY ARE NEAR THE TOP OF THE COOLING UNIT. THE THERMOSTAT IS IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER.OF THE COOLING UNIT. LOOKING FROM THE REAR OF YOUR REFRIGERATOR. MY FANS CYCLE ABOUT EVERY 2 MIN.

Reference my Norcold 1200lrim 4 door refrigerator---

I am requesting information on how to check the thermostat on the outside back of the heat fins that turn the 12Vdc fans off and on. I can jump across the thermostat and the fans work but don't remember them every coming on. Do I just check continuity across the switch or no?

If the thermostat is bad, can I bypass the thermostat and let the fans run all the time until I get a replacement?

We are heading to the hottest part of the Country Monday and this being the weekend, I assume I can't get one tomorrow unless it is a universal type thing I can pick up at Lowes.

Thanks

Dan DeRenzy

Dan,

Welcome to the FMCA forum.

A simple solution is to replace the thermostat with a simple switch. That way you can turn the fans on during the hot part of the day and off at night. In fact,that is how I have mine wired-- to a switch over the galley (hot) direct to the fans and then from there to ground.

Even simpler short term solution: at any auto parts house get protected (insulated) male and female connectors and to wire to thermostat IN and OUT. Connect them when you want power to the fans.

Brett

Brett

Thanks for response. I can handle all the wiring, switching, soldering, etc as I repair barber/groomer clippers and do alot of that with my business. However, I'm not following you on the last part when you say, "wire to thermostat IN and OUT." Whatever this term of "wire to thermostat IN and OUT" means, is it in addition or in leu of putting in a switch? Feel free to call if in-person explanation would be better.

Thanks

Dan DeRenzy

217-652-4203

Dan,

If you just want to substitute a switch or even male/female connectors for the thermostat, remove the wires from the thermostat and wire the switch or connectors in its place.

It is late now. PM if you want me to call you in the morning.

Brett

Norcold 1200 LRIM on Monaco Dynasty; I bypassed the thermostat with hard wire, still the fan does not run.

My question to you is where the 12V power to fan comes from?

How can I track the source?

Thank you.

After agonizing days of checking here is what I found and solved my problem on fan issue.

The issue was my fans were not running. I have changed the thermostat, bypassed with hard wire, traced source of 12V, and several more with no result but frustration.

My coach have done Norcold recall work per the previous owner at a Norcold authorized shop and it seems they have done a poor job. You can see the new wires were wraped around gas pipe, tied to ice maker water line, and bunched like twaing and see no quality workmanship.

Anyway, the 12V supply line plug in to the fan was reversed, Pos to Neg. The same line feeds to heaters, valve and light which doesn't matter reverse polarity as long as DC current passes through. But, for the pancake fans(magnetic fan) if you reverse polarity it does NOT turns at all. Well, the lines were reversed on mine and the fan never turned a single revolution since the recall work.

After the line change my fan works as the way should be and my Norcold refrig is in a happy camper.

So, check your wires to the fan.

Yes, yes!

We have owned our coach (2005 Revolution LE) since October and until it got hot outside, never knew there were fans not coming on. I added an extra fan from below and that fixed the "warming up' problem but on further servicing found just what bambiajkora had found. My black and white wires for the fans were reversed! Changed them and heard the fans come on and the Norcold and I are now happy!

My coach have done Norcold recall work per the previous owner at a Norcold authorized shop and it seems they have done a poor job. You can see the new wires were wrapped around gas pipe, tied to ice maker water line, and bunched like twaing and see no quality workmanship.

Fneece,

Make sure they wire tie the insulation around the burner snug. If not a loss of heat there would reduce performance.