Sign in to follow this  
DOOWAH

No 12V

We are new to RVing (common thread there)...

I have 2004 Four Winds Hurricane 32R.

Almost all electric works when when on shoreline and generator with exception of satellite angle indicator. When working on the 12V no lights, gas for frig, gas for H2O heater. There was a mouse problem; wires between engine compartment and under dash (3 total) were repaired. No other mouse damage appears in that area.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Sounds like the house batteries are dead, or at least not getting charged. When shore power or generator power your converter or charger, all appears well.

My suggestion is to check wiring and any breaker/fuse between the converter or charger and your house battery bank. Make sure all connections are clean and TIGHT.

With a digital voltmeter (a necessity and they start under $20 at Sears, Radio Shack, etc) check voltage at the house battery bank. Of course, if the batteries have been totally discharged for a long time they may be toast. Voltage should be 12.2- 12.7 with converter or charger OFF (no shore power or generator) and 13.2-14.2 with converter or charger ON.

To check the batteries, they need to be fully charged (by your onboard converter or charger OR by a portable charger. Once fully charged, any place that sells batteries can load test them for you.

Brett

Doowah,

Check your 12 volt continuous solenoid. Take a 12 volt cont. tester, clip to ground and check both sides of solenoid. you should have 12 volts on both sides. If not your solenoid is bad.

I just replaced 2 of the 5 on my coach.

Herman

Being the neophyte, I am assuming these will be in the engine compartment. Let me know if wrong.

I will get that done late this afternoon and post results.

Clearly, you are loosing 12 VDC somewhere between the battery and the appliances.

Don't know if you have a manual battery disconnect switch or a solenoid battery disconnect switch as Herman mentioned.

Start by making sure that the disconnect switch IS in the on position.

If the switch does control a solenoid, it will be somewhere near the house battery bank.

With switch off, one large lug should have the same voltage as at the house battery. With switch on, the other large lug should have the same voltage. If it doesn't, disconnect the small positive wire from the small terminal. Use a jumper from the large lug with battery voltage to the small positive terminal. If the solenoid clicks and the other large lug has voltage, you have a problem with a fuse, the disconnect switch or wiring to the solenoid. If still no voltage at the other large lug, the solenoid is bad.

Brett

We had some rain tonight, sorely needed in corn country, and did not get a lot done. I followed the power from the battery to a power distribution box where 12.28V registered. There is coach shut off switch which is engaged while we have the issue. I have relays as opposed to solenoids and there are six. Diesel mechanic son told me on phone the relays perform the same function. He is going to walk me through checking the relays.