Sign in to follow this  
cmarq

Drive shaft Disconnect

Has anyone used a Remco driveshaft disconnect?

Are they easy to use, any problems such as vibration etc.?

I am looking at installing one on a Chevy Tracker 2wd, rear wheel drive.

We have installed a number of them some years ago in our business. For the most part worked OK but did cause some problems with adjustment of the cable and vibration and noise. Unless they have improved in the last 12 years or so I would be leery of recommending it. I have always maintained that the fewer things that have to be modified to make it towable, the better.

I have used the same REMCO on three different F150 SuperDrews and it has performed great. Camping World installed it the first time and I removed it and re-installed it the other two times. I have no problem recomending it use.

The disconnect is great and if anyone is telling you how theirs performed 12 years ago you might want to look for some updated information. I have used the REMCO disconnect on 3 different vans and I am now waiting for my new disconnect to be built for my new 2012 Chevy Express Van. This is a replacement for my 2004 Chevy Express Van which I used the disconnect successfully (and easily) for 8 years. I would just suggest that you use your parking brake any time you are parked on a hill just for an added bit of security.

Here's why I am replacing my 2004 with a 2012:

http://www.datastorm...2/t/000401.html

REMCO has been sold and the new company is having a hard time keeping up with demand as, apparently, only one guy builds the actual disconnects so it can take months to have one built and shipped.

Is your Chev Tracker 2-wheel drive automatic? We have its predecessor, the '96 Geo Tracker with the 5-speed manual tranny and only have to put the trans in neutral, disconnect the battery, and put the ignition key in the on position in order to let the steering wheel "float" while towing.

What the problem was the clutch dog, which looks like a syncronizer ring gets slack in it after a few thousand miles and causes play in the driveline which clunks when you accelerate or decelerate. If you can live with that then thats fine. What happens is the road grime gets into the mechanism and causes wear. They may have found a way to seal the area. We had a number of driveshafts out of balance and had to have them rebalanced. Because the shaft is no longer 1 piece but separated with a bearing and any unbalance is amplified.

Thanks for all the info. I have a 2001 tracker 4wd auto trans that we have towed for 9 years just put transfer case in netural. It has 160K miles now and needs work. I have looked for a replacement like the jeep liberty or Honda CRV but prices on used ones are unreal. I have a chance to get a 2003 tracker with only 33K miles but 2wd. At this point I think the best way is put some $ in my 2001. Thanks again for the input it made the decison easier.

What the problem was the clutch dog, which looks like a syncronizer ring gets slack in it after a few thousand miles and causes play in the driveline which clunks when you accelerate or decelerate. If you can live with that then thats fine. What happens is the road grime gets into the mechanism and causes wear. They may have found a way to seal the area. We had a number of driveshafts out of balance and had to have them rebalanced. Because the shaft is no longer 1 piece but separated with a bearing and any unbalance is amplified.

I guess things are much better these days. I had 100,000 miles on the speedometer and I had towed it another 100,000+ in the last 8 years without issue. Yes, I did clean the coupler a couple of times over the years if it got difficult to put in gear but we never had and clunking like you describe while it was in gear.

dd69,

One of my main concerns was the balancing of the drive shaft. Drive Shaft King in Dallas, TX made mine. David explained that the disconnect have splines and will only engage one way. This allows them to balance the drive shaft and it will stay in alignment and balance.

David gave me a history of Drive Shafts. As cars got longer the d/s got longer. The d/s were made of steel and they got harder and harder to balance due to the length. That was when they went to the 2 piece d/s with a carrier bearing. It was later discovered that a d/s made of Aluminum could be made with a larger diameter, that didn't add weight, and was easy to balance.

Because my d/s, in my Chevrolet Silverado was aluminum David made a 2 piece d/s and installed a carrier bearing for support and he balanced it.

I have had no problems with the unit. He told me to spray it with WD40 ever so often and to not lube it because that will attract and hold dirt.

The one thing that David does that varys from Remcos parts is the release cable. Remco provides a small cable like an old choke cable. David uses a PTO cable that is much stronger and will function much better the Remcos cable.

Hope this helps.

Herman

Just a note on cleaning the D/S disconnect with WD-40. Of all the things in the World that will attract and hold dirt/dust, etc, WD-40 is among the top. It is an excellent cleaner and I use if for that same purpose as well. However, once I am done cleaning I like to clean off the cleaner with something else to get rid of the WD-40. I usually use a dry silicone spray which leaves no residue behind and keeps everything moving extremely well. I got that tip from REMCO themselves at their factory and then again from Blue OX as that's how they recommend cleaning their tow bar as well.