Sign in to follow this  
jfxg48

RVi brake system

I've been looking around for a couple months, looking for a supplementary brake system for my toad-to-be (2004 Honda Element). I've become quite interested in the RVi system, but found not much current information. There was a lot of traffic a year ago when it was first introduced. There were happy users, but a lot of negative because of early supplier and production problems.

Well, this past Monday was the day we picked up our coach ('02 Dutch Star DP40), so I had to make a decision. Through the winter and spring on a few different forums there were a growing number of happy users-- not too many, but they all seemed pleased, so I went ahead and ordered an RVi from an online source (not RVi) a week ago last Saturday- $995, free shipping. I called the company on Monday 16th to confirm shipping because I wanted it by this past Saturday so I could check it out. No problem, he said, it'll go out today. Called again on Friday. No problem, he said, it's shipping today. Cancel, says I.

I called the shop at the SC dealer where we're buying the coach, who said 'yessir, we have a couple left..... no sir, the computer won't let me sell it for $995. Computer says I have to sell it for $950...... yessir, we'll hold that for you. See you Monday'.

So here I was about 2PM Monday, done with the paperwork, coach - check, towbar - check, Element transmission pre-tow configuration - check, ready to roll. Popped the RVi box onto the tailgate of the Element and slit it open. Pushed aside the packing, slid off the plastic bag, and six seconds from box to floor of car. Clipped onto the pedal, plugged it in and hit the green button. Buzz, hiss, burp, snort, red lights on and we're ready to go. Checked the settings for small SUV, medium sensitivity. Honest to goodness, less than a minute and a half, two minutes tops from box slit to ready to rock. I stood back and checked the instruction sheet, sure I had missed something. Nope, good to go. Diane and I got in the coach, plugged the remote panel in. Came to life instantly, said the right words. We smiled again, did a brake check crossing the parking lot, and hit the road. We stopped a couple of times on the way home, 250 miles +/-. The unit seemed to behave flawlessly.

Now, admittedly this was a fairly short trip, and the machine only did what it was supposed to do, but still I was impressed. This is supposedly a good company, and what I hear of their customer service is very good. I hear their top people were the Brake Buddy people. You can check all that out online. I'll keep an eye on it, but the point is this: light weight, easy carry, no setup, no calibration, no installation hassle, and it works. Flat on the floor and press a button. Haven't had anything this simple and worthwhile since years ago we'd steam fresh-caught lobsters right on the dock, right off the boat. But even the lobsters you had to work for.

Anyone considering a brake system ought to seriously consider this one.

I have not heard of the RVi brake system, but i just installed an Invisabrake by Roadmaster. With this system, there is no "brake in a box", or actually anything to do. Simply connect your toad, go through the steps your toad needs for towing, and go. BTW-I found Roadmaster's support great.

Thanks for the info. I have been interested in the RVI. Read a lot of good reviews. I only travel in Texas right how and toad is under 4500# but will be traveling to other states in the future. Sounds simple, I like that.

UPDATE ON THE RVi SYSTEM

We've now been using the RVi system for about four months. We left Raleigh, went to Cape Cod, and we're now in Everett, WA. We've put about 5000 miles on our coach, and the toad has been attached for about 4800 of them. I've developed a startup routine, so the daily trip start is now even simpler and easier. We have had not one lick of difficulty from the RVi. I know its working, as there have been a few braking events where I could feel the toad resistance kick in. I would recommend this system, or purchase another, in a heartbeat.

My dealer has recommended this system. We have a 2012 Class C Sunseeker. It weighs about 13500 lbs fully loaded and my new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee weighs 4860 ready to go. So my total weight will be around 19000 lbs fully loaded and my GCWR is 22,000 lbs.

Do think this system will work well going down mountains? I'm going to Colorado this summer. I guess just the Coach will hold everything back until I hit the brake.

Any issues you folks see?