Sign in to follow this  
lloyd21

Our First Motorhome.

2007 Fleetwood Discovery 39v, 330 Cat, Allison 6 speed w/ trans brake.

Tow vehicle is a 2003 GMC Yukon slt 4x4

We travel with Ziggy our 4.9lb Yorkie

Harvey and Nancy Lloyd

Chapin, S.C.

Flew to Minneapolis, Mn. bought our Discovery and drove it home in a blinding snow storm,

our first night in the Discovery the windchill was 45 below zero--we stayed warm.....we knew we were

going to love this RVing.

With the Caterpillar 330 HP and Allison 6 speed, you have an EXHAUST BRAKE. Yes, the transmission downshifts when the exhaust brake is applied.

Our first MH was gotten in 1986 from a fellow at Church whose parents wanted to sell theirs. It was a '76 Fireball 21' Class C on a Dodge chassis with the 360 motor. I thought it was great because it started right up after not being used for 2 years and it was a -13F that day. Anything that started that quick at 13 below zero would run anyplace. We were able to park on our driveway. First surprise came when the warm weather came and it began to smell. It may not have been used for 2 years but nobody had emptied the holding tank. I got that done quick. We had TTs popups, Hi-LO previous so dumping was nothing new. The tires were all pretty rotten since they were originals. The PO had always carried 3 extra V belts for everything under the hood in case he had a problem. I decided to just replace all of the old belts and hoses. None of those belts fit anything under that hood. I did find the wet bath a great time saver. You could shave, shower, shampoo & sh@# all at the same time. We traded it in '89 for a new Jamboree Rallye and sure appreciated the difference.

Like most of you, we started out tenting, popups, back of the van - then 17' fiberglass EggCamper. While camping in Wyoming several fellow campers recommend we check out a motor home before heading to Alaska. Well, we did and within two months sold our camper and bought our first coach. We are 67 and still want to do a lot of 'travel camping' - we want to tour northeast Canada, Maritimes, northeast US, northwest US central and northwest Canada, Alaska, southwest US and continue to regularly vist the Tetons, Wind River Range Beartooths and many other parts of the Rocky's. Heck! I guess we will have to live to be 120 years old to see all we want to see ;-) Well, because we also like to take scenic byways and boon dock in the mountains, besides traveling everywhere - we settled on a smaller Class C that gets super fuel economy - a Mecedes-Benz Sprinter chassis and coach by Winnenago - View model 'J'. Sleeps 5-6, roomy and classy.Has a high torque MB V6 3.0L Turbo-Diesel that just hums up the 10% mountain grades - easyly passing many 5ers with huge V8 diesels working their guts out. On our last trip of 6,000 miles in and around the Rocky's we averaged 16.6 MPG overall. Can easily cruise at 70, but we enjoy 60, if traffic allows us to enjoy the trip. It is 24' by 7'5' with 11'3'' clearence, rear duals and 5,000# hitch. We love it! Only have about 11,000 miles in 11 months so we plan to 'break it in' while going to Alaska, spring of 2013 - God willing! Bill