billkoboldt

Refrigerator Vents

The outside refrigerator vent cover has some large holes for ventilation and I have noticed hornets and other insects flying in them.

Can I put screen on the inside of the cover without losing ventilation?

I don't want the insects building nests inside the compartment.

I forget the brand name but a set of three pre cut vent screens are designed to fit the three open slots in the vent cover. They make models for both Norcold and Dometic wall vents. No cutting or fitting required. They attached with supplied tie wraps. Put mine on about two years ago. No more mud dauber nests behind the refer.

Note the roof vent should already have a screen inside it.

Got mine on ebay for a few bucks.

If you do this (install a screen, whether commercially available or homemade), use the most "open mesh" that will keep the mud dubbers out. Keeping insects out is good-- restricting air flow is BAD.

Not all RV manufacturers do the prescribed refrigerator installation (void between refrigerator top and roof vent, incorrect clearance back of refrigerator to outside wall, etc). So maximizing air flow is always a good idea.

Brett

If you do this, use the most "open mesh" that will keep the mud dubbers out. Keeping insects out is good-- restricting air flow is BAD.

Brett

I agree as most RV fridges have enough trouble with maintaining acceptable air flow through the outside compartments. You might consider instead, putting a dog flea/tick collar in the outside compartment instead of the screens.

jc,

Not a bad idea. That way you can keep the flying critters out and keep down your Fleas at the same time. :lol: :lol:

For several years I have kept a bottle of Flea and Tick spray with my dump hoses and spray the Dump hose, Water Hose (away from the nozzle) and Power Cord.

So far the Wife doesn't seem to scratch so much. :rolleyes:

Herman

Why would you automatically assume a device designed and manufactured for a specific purpose will probably damage or impede the operation of the device it is intended for? Let's be factual instead of assumptive.

The screens I used are manufactured by a major RV accessory manufactured and blister packaged with the name and logo. It may have been Camco. I don't remember. They are not a home brew concoction made on a weekend.

They are stainless steel with a grid of 4mm square. This allows something close to the original 60 square inches from the three openings on my Norcold wall vent. Much larger than a fly screen. But then these screens are not designed to keep out flies, ants, fleas, or ticks. Their purpose is for hornets (as originally posted), yellow jackets, etc. that create large mud nests that imped air flow, cooling, etc. They also work well for rodents.

Actually fleas and ticks require a biological host to survive. Unless you have rats, squirrels, or others in the rodent family for a pet in your refer compartment, or a small dog or cat, a flea and tick collar won't be necessary.

My Norcold 1200 stays at 38 to 39 degrees F on the middle shelf of the refer compartment. It is monitored 24/7 with outside temps from 15 F to 105F. The fans don't come on any earlier than they used to.

What setting do you have your fridge at to hold those numbers in the fridge? Do you have numbers for the freezer? We have had trouble holding a steady temp in our 1210. Hope a new thermistor will help (just installed). Taking it out next week.

Regarding the question of a screen over the refrigerator vents, one caution. We were in an area where there were cottonwood trees. The seeds from cottonwood and some other plants will be pulled by any draft and as the air enters the refrigerator vent, these seeds will be drawn in and the fine fibers will stick to the screen. If you do put a screen on the refrigerator you should check it frequently. When you are in an area where you see seeds floating in the air, check the screens daily. Refrigerator fires are already way too common in RV's.

I was having trouble with my Dometic not getting cold enough. Adjusted Thermistor all the way to the top but it still struggled. Also have battery operated fan inside. Took the RV to my local Tiffin dealer. They monitored and ran tests. They discovered the screens on my vents. Yes, yes the Camco type designed for it. Their test results were that they restricted 40% of my air flow???

Anyway, we removed the screens and installed a second fan in the vent flue. Tiffin covered the modification. Thank you Bob and crew. Testing it out ourselves this weekend.

A word of caution. Just because an after market RV company builds something for one's RV does not mean it is safe or complies with ANSI codes. There have been many aftermarket items that preclude safety and performance issues and all marketed with total disregard for the unsuspecting consumer. Only one example is an after market "knife" switch used at the battery to kill the battery. Any spark at the battery is dangerous due to the presence of hydrogen gas when the battery is charged. Why would you assume that Camco has done the necessary homework to insure maximum performance? Some of the Camco products I have purchased have been totally inferior and did not perform as desired.

A retired RV manufacturing manager.

Thanks for all the input. I do monitor refrigerator temp regularly with a thermometer that reads 37 degrees. Will try these ideas and see what works the best. I like the idea of the 4mm size screen as compared to regular size screen I was going to use.

...Why would you automatically assume a device designed and manufactured for a specific purpose will probably damage or impede the operation of the device it is intended for? Let's be factual instead of assumptive....

Camping World et al, make lots of things that should never be used on RVs, but people keep buying them, so CW keeps making them. Typical example is supports they make to put under slides. In every RV we have had with slides, the manual said not to use supports...if there is a flat tire, the coach settles but the supports keep the slide from moving with the coach resulting in serious damage.

Re screens...we had them and the refrig was not working correctly...removed the screens, now all is well. I have also added an AC powered fan in the upper left corner of the back of the refrig to help with cooling.

40x, you are correct about the slide supports.

I also am not too sure about putting a screen on top of the Ref. vent. I do think the vent screens that go on the access door to the fridge are OK to keep dirt dobber and wasp out. You are also correct about the fan. Too many mfgrs don't move enough air around the coils. Add a fan and keep it cool.

Herman

I have had screen over the refrigerator access door now for two weeks and we have had outside temps for the last four days in the mid 80's to low 90's and a lot of humidity. So far the refrigerator has been holding temps at 36- 38 degrees. So far, so good. Will continue to monitor temperature for the rest of the time we use our M/H , and when we go to Fl. for the winter.

Ok, so tell me how lucky I am....... but when I purchased my last motorhome I could not keep my Dometic refrigerator operating while running down the road. I brought it in for servicing on multiple occasions and they replaced fuses, circuit boards, etc and nothing worked. I ran into a gentleman who said I should purchase and cut to size a porous furnace filter from Walmart and place it inside the external refrigerator door. I did that and never had the refrigerator blowout in 14 years of use! Guess I was just lucky as I see posts of the refrigerator fires due to overheating. But, that was the solution to my problem and I live in Texas where we start most every Summer day knowing 95* is a Cold Front.