Good morning, we are in the process of getting ready to make our trip to Moab this year. We are going to tow a Rubicon 4 door this year with our Bounder 35k with a v10 gasser. I am trying to decide which braking system would be best for our application, thanks in advance for your advice.

On 9/5/2012 at 9:37 PM, seadog said:

US Gear system has worked well for 2 1/2yrs. for us. It's great, nothing to move around, plug it in and go.  

Jim

Mine just failed. It is on the second coach and second (or third) toad. I just got off the phone with Darren at the subsidiary that handles tech support and parts. The product is no longer available as a complete system but parts and tech are available for existing units.  Failure mode is one red light indicating light braking when brakes are applied and no braking indicated when brakes are applied hard in the coach. I am disabling the unit until I can get it fixed. Will repair if possible, will replace with an air brake friendly system if repair is not practical.

On 9/5/2012 at 11:14 AM, peterjray said:

I have a Blue Ox Patriot brake system and have the issue of it timing out when descending hills in mountainous areas. I have to stop the coach and reset it each time, which is a pain. Is this normal?

Same problem with mine. Called Blue Ox and they were no help. Passed me on to the mfg of the unit and they were no help also. Changing to different system. 

On 8/31/2012 at 9:46 AM, fzeuner said:

Does anyone have any experience with the Blue Ox Patriot Braking System?

I am new to Dinghy Towing and have reservations concerning the system discharging my battery. I'm going to be towing a 2012 Ford F150 4X4.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

I use a second battery sitting on the passenger side. Works well. Problem with the Patriot system is that it times out very quickly going to fault mode. Would not be good in an emergency when you need the brake to work.

M&G is the best and requires no power.  It's not available for every car but it is the best.

I just order the newest and greatest from M&G including the break away for the Panther and a little 2004 Chevy Tracker. Silly little car but 4 wheel drive, adequate power from the little V6, plenty of clearance except when you compare it to Carl's Jeep. It is light at 2800 pounds and cost $3,500 as a disposable vehicle and at a 100,000 miles it should go another 100 with care. We were impressed last winter as we were riders in one of these over 200 miles in the sandy southwest. We are using a Blue Ox base plate and the aluminum tow bar from Blue Ox that came with the Zanzibar 6 years ago...really nice.

Yes Herman, It works just fine but It needs a lube before we head out in a week...one of those items on my list. I will do it and then if I find something odd then I will send it to them before the long Easter Texas drive.  Thanks  B

1 hour ago, jj05232007 said:

Someone needs to update ‘this or remove it, many changes to systems available since 2012

So why haven't you "updated it" with your information? What coach and what toad and what brake system are you using?

Bill

5 hours ago, jj05232007 said:

Someone needs to update ‘this or remove it, many changes to systems available since 2012

I just read the thread and I can't find what you're saying is outdated. Can you please point out which braking system is outdated? Thanks.

I too should have updated my two bits...Took your advice Herman when in Quartzsite in January 2018 and at the RV show took the Aluminum Blue Ox in for a check up. I was told not to pass GO with it and they would not touch it. They explained why and I left with a new one Aluminum and steel. It is a third lighter than the 10K unit and since the Jeep I now have replacing the Tracker is only 3200 pounds should have enough excess strength to handle any adverse situations. I am not new to towing stuff but yes to flat towing a car.Thank you Herman for the suggestion.