montie

South Dakota, Rushmore Badlands

Planning a trip to NW, going through the badlands and Mt, Rushmore, need to know the best places to camp close to these places.

I would like to stay at the same place for several days and see the area, maybe 3-4 days. 43' motorhome.

We have stayed in several campgrounds in the Rapid City Area. One that we enjoyed is Custer State Park. You can do a search for Custer State Park and look at the campgounds and services that you would need. They even show pictures of each site. Some sites will handle 44-45 feet. There is a nice city campground in Spearfish that is very nice for families or retirees. Usually cooler because it is in a canyon, but no hills or inclines to enter from a city street on the south side of Spearfish. A little drive to Rapid City, but most of the sights to see are west and south of Rapid City. Avoid the Sturgis Rally dates. Most campgrounds in the area will only take reservations for a week or more at that time. Plus there will be 600,000 plus motorcycles on the roads. We have been there at that time and did not have any problems with motorcyclist, just the heavy traffic.

Next year the FMCA Family Reunion will be in Gillette, WY, June 19-22, 2013. You may want to wait and combine the trip to do both next year.

We stayed at the Crooked Creek Resort just outside of Hill City SD. It was convenient to both areas esp. Rushmore. We were in campsite 58 in the back near the creek. The town of Hill City was a nice area as well. We stayed three nites and happy with all the area offered.

Have fun hope this can help

J.G.

:) Hi Montie, my wife Susan and I usually stop at the Elkorn Ranch RV park in Spearfish SD. Its a large park with concrete pads good power and a small store. We have stopped there the last 4 years on our way back to Winnipeg from Indio Ca. and enjoy it . The sites are large and will accomodate a 45ft. and tow vehicle. Good luck Smokeater75

Last year we visited the area and stayed at Heart Ranch. We found this to be a mistake as it really is too far away from everything and makes sightseeing a much longer days trip than necessary. The last time we visited we stayed at the Mount Rushmore KOA which has a much better location.

As mentioned above there are several campgrounds available in the area and you may find that no one will cover everything conveniently. It depends upon where you want to go and what you want to see. If I return any time soon I think I will stop at the KOA again as it's close to the conveniences of town in one direction and close to many attractions in the other.

The only time we stayed in the area we were in Custer. That is a little far but hey it was October and the park had cut off their water but we filled our tank and they only Charged us $10..00 per night. Hill City has 1 or 2 parks.

All that being said don't plan on staying in the Black Hills before the third week in August. Staring in a week is the Black Hills Motorcycle Rally (Sturgas). They have had as many as 600,000 bikers in the area. Not a good time to sight see let alone finding a spot to park, good or bad.

It is a beautiful place to visit.

Herman

We were there last year, we stayed in Hill city at Rafter J Bar Ranch. It's very close to most of the attractions in the area. AQfter looking at all the other parks in the area, this was our choice3 as the best park available.

Dennis

Thanks for the motorcycle info, I think we are planning to be there about the 23-24 August. I hope that is late enough. If not we may change our route, I am not a motorcycle lover, to loud for old ears.

Are you referring to Heartland RV and Campground? It is a Passport Camp. Looks like it is in a good location so I will not have to move.

Thanks

We will be at the Custer State Park Stockade North Campground August 23 through 25. We have not stayed there before but have been told it is a nice area. I made our reservations last night and it appeared they had 2 more sites available for larger motorhomes. Of course it is electric only.

Don't have reservations yet, but sometime the end of August we will also be in the area.

Stay tuned, and thanks for the information.

We were there last year, we stayed in Hill city at Rafter J Bar Ranch. It's very close to most of the attractions in the area. AQfter looking at all the other parks in the area, this was our choice3 as the best park available.

Dennis

X2

Very nice park and very friendly staff.

Leary

Looks like about the same time we are pulling in to that area. I think we are going to stay at a place that has full hookups, Heartland RV in Hermosa for Mt Rushmore and Badlands RV Ranch in "Interior". I noticed that you are in Alaska or do you live in there. I want to go to Alaska so bad I can taste it but not any of my traveling buddies want to come, afraid they will scratch their coach I guess. I thought about a caravan but man are they expensive, Anybody going to Alaska maybe next spring, I would be interested in joining up for a trip.

Having lived in Juneau and driven the Alcan 3 times and cruised to Alaska 8 times starting with our honeymoon in 1975, I agree with Bill.

By far the more spectacular scenery on the way to Alaska is by water.

Want to REALLY see Alaska, take the Alaska Marine Highway system with your RV and get off at each port. After seeing that port, board the next ferry.

Montie,

We left Great Falls, Montana on June 21st (having spent 3 weeks coming up from our home in central Texas) on a trip through Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon and Alaska. I have been told by my brother that the way to see Alaska is by water.

If that is any more spectacular than what we have seen, then I want to do that too. The roads overall have been good although not up to the standards in the lower 48. The only really bad road was the Top Of The World Highway from Dawson City, YT to Chicken, AK - I would not do that one again.

The main thing, if you take a motor home to Alaska, is to slow down and enjoy the scenery. These roads are not designed for high speeds.

Having lived in Juneau and driven the Alcan 3 times and cruised to Alaska 8 times starting with our honeymoon in 1975, I agree with Bill.

By far the more spectacular scenery on the way to Alaska is by water.

Want to REALLY see Alaska, take the Alaska Marine Highway system with your RV and get off at each port. After seeing that port, board the next ferry.

I checked into that last year but I could not afford it with a big coach, I did consider flying in and renting a coach.. Anybody done that.