Riotravelers

Locked Out, Broken Lock

Rich.

Great point...now I'll get off my bottom and go do locks in house.  I'll be in garage tomorrow, so I'll do my coach lock.  I all ready do my bay locks every year, along with Jeep.

Thank you.

Rich, you have brought up a very good point, not to say this manufacture doesn't have a quality issue. With plastic parts inside what to lube it with also comes into question.

After reading this there is defiantly something wrong with me :blink:. I lube the door hinges, latches in the motorhome and house at least 2 times a year. I cant stand when doors squeak, knobs and deadbolts are hard to turn or you go to close a kitchen cabinet and it will not fully seat. We have saloon doors to the basement staircase at the house, nothing will stop them from squeaking, I am about to toss them in the trash :angry:

Jleamont,

Take a look at this link. This original link is no longer working.

http://www.belray.com/molylube-spray-coating-moly

So start hear to find the product mentioned in the original link.

http://www.belrayracing.com/news/bel-ray-announces-molylube-open-gear-and-rope-lubricant-various-mining-applications     

Farmingdale, N.J. (May 16, 2017) – Total performance lubricant manufacturer, Bel-Ray, today announced the release of its latest mining product, Molylube Open Gear and Rope Lubricant. The newest mining lubricant can be used in general industrial open gears, pins and bushings, chains, wire ropes, cables, drive chains and sliding surfaces.

Molylube Open Gear and Rope Lubricant has been specifically formulated for open gears, girth gears and rack and pinions which are found in all types of equipment such as draglines, shovels, mills, kilns and stationary and mobile cranes. The Molylube Open Gear and Rope Lubricant is a highly tenacious lubricant that ensures adherence to the gear teeth creating excellent resistance to throw-off and slinging.

Might just stop the squeaks on those double swing hinges.

Rich. 

That's interesting.  It claims to be a lubricant, but it acts the same way as WD-40....Joe.  Your bat wing salon doors are suppose to squeeek and bang!  Jeez, it must have saved John Wayne's life a 1,000 times!:lol: 

Wow- this just happened to a very nice couple who are renting my RV. I just lubricated all of the door and compartment locks yesterday- and today the entry door striker would not retract and they were locked out. There is no other door and all of the windows were locked. It is obvious that this is a known problem, and under certain circumstances this could have been catastrophic. Fortunately no one was trapped inside and we were able to locate a locksmith who came and drilled out the cylinder. This is unacceptable to me, knowing that TriMark knew of this issue and has failed to take responsibility. I will be in contact with both Tri-Mark and the NHTSA.

JoVonna!

I might as well chime in. My tri mark did the same thing a couple years ago, thankfully the dw was inside so she unlocked the driver door. After taking it apart I still couldn't get the door open so I went in town to a shop. He bent a small screwdriver and managed to push the latch back. I then put on the new model tri mark.

On July 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Riotravelers said:

My side entry door lock broke internally locking my wife inside. The lock is a Trimark 60-650.

I was able to remove the inside plate then drill multiple holes in the casting around the broken keeper operating bar. I was then able to tap the keeper back into retracted position to get the door open. I have attached pictures of the lock and broken parts as well.

I am interested to know if anyone else has had this problem as I am considering notifying the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to create a recall. I know of at least two other failures of this same type of lock on different brand motorhomes.

If you have had this problem please respond with Make, Model, Year of M/H and month and year lock failed.

photo_1.JPGphoto_5.JPGphoto_2.JPG

My entry door lock would not open on September 2nd on our Class A, 2012 Serrano 34M. We had a locksmith crawl into a window to try and open it by removing the back plate (suggested by TriMark). He was not able to do this, the screen door was in the way, and I did not want him to damage the door.  I ordered a new lock, apparently TriMark replaced the lock with an improved lock. They must have been aware of the problems with this lock.  I agree, it should have been on a recall, it does create a safety hazard. Now we have to find out how to remove the old lock.  We were fortunate that no one was trapped inside the Coach.

Door locks are an item to put on the maintenance list and there are posts that mention the fact that the screen door is often in the way when trying to remove the assembly when the door is closed.

The door lock systems do fail, but we tend to forget to remove the parts and keep the internal mechanism lubricated. Not an item placed on the periodic maintenance list. Should the latch pin be made of plastic, there is always a greater possibility of them braking.

How often do people remove and lubricate there house door locks, not often if ever and the new combination locks for homes do require new batteries and they always run out of power when one does not have the key ring with the house key!

Rich. 

The Flaw I see in the Tri-Mark door lock is the lock is engaged when the entry lock is pushed down on the inside when closing the door and is way to easy to lock the door accidentally.  

Once it is activated and with no key in hand or placed somewhere on the outside of the coach, you are locked out. 

I have used a rubber band to hold the lock lever in the up position, but rubber bands do age and need to be replaced as needed.

Rich.

Tri-Mark door locks are notorious (at least in my case) for sticking. I have found that if I push the door with one hand while pulling on the handle it will release.

From what Neil said, we don't know what he has tried.

Is it that the door will not unlock?

Is it the dead bolt?

Will the door unlock but not open? 

Neil my friend can you give us a bit more info.? You posted 7 hours ago, have you gotten in yet?

Herman