Sign in to follow this  
wildebill308

An Interesting Afternoon

New to this forum and thought you might like to read about my little adventure.

Well I had an interesting afternoon. Saturday I went to do my final walk through and test drive on my new to me 2003 bounder 38U diesel pusher. They had it plugged into shore power when we got there. It was nice and cool inside and about 104 out side. This let us check all the systems. I was impressed with how much ice the freezer had made in a fairly short time. Everything was going just fine.

We finished the outside and disconnected the shore power and started the gen to get ready for a test drive. We were waiting for a tech to put on the plates and do a minor maintenance item (the awning over the door was not moving smoothly and trying to hang up. The tech that was helping was spraying some lube on the pivot points).

Well while we were setting in the nice cool coach the generator quit. Tried to restart but it ran about 5 min and quit. Tried this a couple of times. Tried checking the oil level, fuel was at ½ tank. The tech tried changing the fuel filter. Then they tried hooking up a different fuel source no luck. Interesting as we had run the generator earlier in the week when we were talking to the salesman for problem 45 min to one hour. Worked great.

They are taking it to have it fixed Monday, as they don’t have any one who knows how to work on diesel generators. Well the good news is it quit in their lot before I singed the papers not on the road some place lol.

Bill

Bill, you haven't said what kind of generator you have and what the model is. Does it have an electric fuel pump? This might be a funny question, but are you sure that although it says the tank is half full, Is It?

Herman

Please note that it was run from an alternate fuel supply as well. Fuel does not appear to be the issue. I would suspect that it is something related to a sensor such as a faulty low oil sensor.

When it comes back fixed, make sure it is documented as to what exactly was the cause and what was fixed.

Remember the 30 days or 30 feet, which ever comes first warranty rule.

Herman,

I apologize it is a Onan 7500 quiet diesel.

Wayne77590,

You are right I am glad it happened on their lot not 35 feet from their door. I didn’t hear aneything today. I am going to call tomorrow.

Bill

I would also suspect that the generator ran out of fuel. My experience with a diesel engine is that if it looses its prime through a loss of fuel, it must be primed before it will start again.

Sam

I encountered the same scenario when I purchased my coach this May. Here's what we found: Onan QD 7500 would run fine for about 25-30 minutes and quit. Wait 15 minutes and it would run fine for about 10 minutes and quit. Took it in for service and they checked everything out without finding the problem. I ran across a post on RV.net with identical problem and here's what it turned out to be. The radiator was plugged up and the unit would get to 240* and shut off. Cool down and it would run again to 240* and shut down.

Servicing dealer insisted it wasn't the radiator as the unit only had 206 hrs on it......... But, that's what it was. Radiator shop said unit was so bad that they recommended replacing (radiator itself was <$200 ) rather than cleaning. That was the problem all along and it now runs like a champ for as long as you want to run it.

So, if all else fails, you might suggest he check the radiator. Both the seller and I had to force the radiator scenario on the service center after reading this post ( http://forums.goodsamclub.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24252552/print/true.cfm ) as they kept insisting it was something else.

Hope this is of some help.

Planocat

Sam,

When it runs on 2 different fuel supplies it is not out of fuel.

Planocat,

You are right. I was thinking it might be an over temp sensor as it was 105 that day. Well they called and told me they had to replace the radiator and it cost them $600.00. Well glad the shop made their money off them not me. I am going to go tomorrow and try to get this deal done.

Thanks for all the help and comments.

Bill