Sign in to follow this  
brasfield

Flat Towing 1992 Jeep Comanche Standard 4 Speed 2WD

I recently acquired a well kept 1992 Jeep Comanche (Cherokee) pick-up truck. It is a 2 wheel rear drive with a standard "stick-shift" transmission powered by a 4.0L, 6 cylinder engine.

I am trying to obtain a definitive answer (rather than an opinion) answer as to whether it is "flat" or "four wheels down". I would like to tow it behind my class A motorhome without a dolly, trailer, driveline disconnect, etc. I would use a commercial base plate and tow bar, etc.

I continue to get wildly divergent opinions from all of the "experts". Invariably they are inserting their personal preferences as to using a trailer, a dolly, driveline disconnect, etc. I am also getting different opinions (not facts) from participants in the various Jeep Forums on the internet. My local Jeep dealer won't commit one way or the other. The folks at Remco say they don't have any negative reports with the 5 speed stick, but can't say for sure. The 1999 FMCA "Toad" document indicates the equivalent Cherokee in 1999 was flat towable, but doesn't indicate if that was for a standard or automatic transmission, or if for a 2WD or a 4WD.

If anyone has actually flat towed a 1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee with a 2 wheel drive standard transmission, please offer any suggestions you might have. Thank you!