Sign in to follow this  
gypsies2

Safety Steering Products

HI, I AM INTERESTED IN FINDING THE RIGHT STEERING SYSTEM FOR MY ALLEGRO RED OPEN. THE BLUE OX TRUE CENTER OR THE SAFETY PLUS.

I HAVE SEEN BOTH AND HAVE BEEN HEARING GOOD AND BAD ABOUT BOTH. I WOULD LIKE SOME INPUT ON THESE AND WHICH HAS SEEMED TO BE A BETTER PRODUCT.

JOHN ALLEVI

John,

Welcome to the Forum.

I know you may not understand, but when you write in all capitol it mean you are shouting, but when you write in both capitol and bold, you are screaming. I know that is not what you mean.

On each of the product you have listed there will be both good and bad comments about them. Here on the Forum you will hear from many people that have used either or both. The final decision will be yours.

I can speak on one. The Steer Safe unit. I never saw any change with or with out the unit. I did change out the eye bolts with longer ones and was able to tighten the spring up more and did notice a little change. When I stopped by Deming, NM at the Factory, they had a fit and changed all of the springs and eye bolts.

After that I didn't feel any difference from what I had done. Even so I was pleased with the unit from there on.

Herman

Herman, sorry for the caps and the bold. It seems I can see the letters better. Thanks for the info. I have heard from others and it sure is kind of difficult to hear both good and bad, I guess you are right I will have to make up my own mind.

Thanks again,

John

I have had the Blue Ox TruCenter since last December. It has made a tremendous difference in the driving pleasure of my 2011 Monaco Knight. It's a bit pricey, but well worth the money in my opinion. There are also two models of the TruCenter. My installation is of the 270 lb. of pressure model. I think that is the right number. I haven't had any experience with the other. Although on my previous coach I had the Safe-T-Plus installed, and didn't really see that it helped much.

Thanks for responding. The thing that bothered me with the Blue Ox True Center, was the man at the Louisville Seminar, and the way he put it. It seemed like you always had to hit the button on the dash when ever you were in wind or what ever and then had to hit it again to bring it back to normal. It seemed funny to me. You say the saf-t-plus didn't do anything for you. That was the only other one I would have preferred. I am going to talk with a rep from Blue Ox and get the real low down. Thanks for your input.

John

John,

Blue Ox True Center is like an airplane trim control. Pilots are always adjusting the trim when flying. There steering units are the same way. When you are in a cross wind you will adjust the MH trim for the cross wind. but when you turn into the wind you will have to adjust again. And when you turn back to the cross wind , you adjust again.

I my self have a wonderful steering aid in my coach, ME. If I have to adjust every time the wind changes I just do it with the steering wheel. By the way it didn't cost me a penny for my unit. When the day is done I just feed him a beer and give him some rest.

Happy steering and good luck

Herman

You only use the adjustment when you need it. Every crosswind is not strong enough nor lasts long enough to need adjustment. The thing to keep in mind is that it is exerting 270 lbs. of pressure to keep your steering constant without any adjustment. This is basically what the other units do, only the TruCenter is stronger. Therefore, the only time you need to make an adjustment is when the wind or ruts are strong enough to override the normal 270 lb. constant load.

I don't find the need to adjust a problem, and in most cases the normal pressure solves the problem.

The primary purpose of these products is to aid the driver with steering control as is the case with a front tire blowout by adding centering force to the steering wheel. A secondary benefit provided with Tru-Center is ability to trim the centering force of the steering wheel to the right or left of center. This can be useful in situations of high camber road surfaces and cross winds. The trim must be changed when road or wind conditions change. For myself, I use it on long stretches of windy highways such as I70 crossing eastern Colorado and Kansas.

Thanks guys, I will look into the Blue Ox. I have spoken with a rep named Mike Thelander. A nice person to discuss this with. You too Herman, but sometimes the wind is a little bit of a pain. Especially with my Allegro Red, a short wheel base with out a tag axle.

John

We recommend the Safe-T-Plus Steering Control. We were at the Good Sam Rally in Phoenix last Spring where we saw a presentation by Henderson's Line Up and Redlands Truck and RV. We had been experiencing problems with wind and passing trucks as well as play in the steering wheel on our 40 ft Fleetwood Providence. We had the part installed on site (along with new Koni shocks) at the Rally. We can now drive with one hand and have no problems with passing trucks. Unbelievable difference.

Den & Deb

I have a 31' 2008 Coachmen Concord Class C motorhome. I am looking at the Steer Safe stabilizer system to assist in reducing a bit of wondering (always seem to need to slightly correct steering) and reduce movement of coach when 18 wheelers are passing. I had a Henderson Rac-Trac Bar installed in the rear earlier with minimal benefit. Any input you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated. Chuck

Sandpc,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

First a question-- have you have the front end aligned with the coach at its "loaded configuration"?

While steering products can help, you still need to start with the basic alignment, particularly caster and toe set properly to minimize wander.

I am looking for a product that can help the steering safety if a front tire were to blow out. I remember that there was one once, but can not remember its name.