Sign in to follow this  
ljborba

Which Direct TV Receiver Works With A KVH R5SL Satellite System

Recently purchased a motorhome that has a KVH Trackvision R5SL in motion satellite system and cannot find a Direct TV receiver that will work. I realize it may require an older receiver (D10 or D12), however I've already tried a D12D-100 (standard Def) and a H25-100 (high Def). I was also told that DVR receivers and High Def receivers might not work.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what Direct TV model number receiver will work and where to buy one???? Will a High Def receiver work at all???

Thanks......

ljbora,

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you checked to make sure the KVH Trackvision is programed for direct TV?

Google the KVH and look for the page on setting the dish for Direct or Dish Network. The previous owner may have had Dish.

Herman

According to the owners manual the only receivers verified to work (at the time of printing) was the D10, 11 and 12.

You will have to go into the Repeat Satellite Setup and ensure that you antenna type is set properly. I would recommend that you use 18" round but you may find that 2-LNB or 3-LNB is required depending upon how KVH set things up.

Check again with KVH and ask if there is a different setting for either the D12 and the D12D-100? I believe that there is only one setting but it would not hurt to ask. You said before that you had checked the switch, was that the unit in the satilite dome? I had to remove the dome cover and set them to Dish when I bought my coach.

Herman

Check again with KVH and ask if there is a different setting for either the D12 and the D12D-100? I believe that there is only one setting but it would not hurt to ask. You said before that you had checked the switch, was that the unit in the satilite dome? I had to remove the dome cover and set them to Dish when I bought my coach.

Herman

There is no such option with the KVH antennas. You have to have a dealer connect a laptop to the computer port and upload the software to change services. This is also usually necessary if an update has not been done recently and my well be what ljborba needs to get the antenna working correctly.

I just installed a KVH R5SL as a replacement for a KVH R4. I have a pair of D-12 boxes and there was no special installation needed other than setting up the antenna type on the D-12 to round and it should work if everything is connected correctly. KVH receivers come pre-programmed for DirecTV so you shouldn't need the unit re-programmed unless it had been changed to Dish for the previous owner.

There is no point in having an HD receiver as the 5SL will not support HD with DirecTV. In fact I had an HD receiver that I tried and the picture was not as good as the D-12 using the S-Video connection. The HD receivers have no S-Video connection and with the HD cable the analog picture isn't as good as with the S-Video cable. My results apply for a 36" Sharp HD TV and a 26" LG HD TV.

Perhaps the question was not asked, but the KVH R5SL will not pick up Direct TV HD programming. You can get standard definition, but not HD regardless of the Direct TV Box you chose.

If you want HD, forget Direct TV and go with the Dish Network Pay as you go. They actually make RV specific Satellite receivers and if you don't have home Dish Network, you can get East and West Coast Network programming for a small additional fee in lieu of local channels.

Been down this road all the way, had Direct TV at home and in my motorhome and was never successful at getting East or West Coast Network feeds and Local channels did not work. Upgraded TV required upgraded satellite receiver, which would not work with the antenna which ended up in buying a Weingard Traveler for Direct TV. It worked great, but traded the coach last fall and the dealer said he would add a satellite antenna, and before I could say "Weingard Traveller for Direct TV", they installed a KVH R5SL on the new coach. It would work great but would not receive HD programming with Direct TV, vut with the right receiver, you can watch TV driving down the road. So I am in the mountains of Southwest Colorado watching Dish Network West coast network feeds over a KVH R5SL and a VIP 211K Dish Network Satellite receiver.

By the way, don't know what a newbie is. I have been a FMCA member for 26 years and have owned 7 motorhomes including three diesels. I wouldn't call that a newbie.

JDW

F78957

Since you have only made 5 posts to this forum you are a newbie to this forum. More posts will change that status.

As to your statement "They actually make RV specific Satellite receivers", this information is incorrect. All of the DirecTV and Dish Receivers are made for homes but many are used in RV's.

I have hd direct tv at home and tried to hook up in the coach with an he receiver. I have a kingdome on the coach and finally found out after days of frustration that the had receiver won't work with a 2006 kingdome. Will a standard direct tv receiver work or should I get a portable dish.

Camping World carries that receiver for the KVH 139.00 just had to buy one for our new satellite. The old receiver was not compatible with the new one.