shuzie029

Replacement Of Slideout Awning

shuzie,

Welcome to the Forum.

What brand of awning do you have?

Google the Brand you have and check out the installation Manual.

Most Mfgs. have good drawings and picture to help.

Herman

Yes I have repaired my awning before. It isn't easy but can be done if you take your time, have the tools and follow the instructions. Go to Carefree and look for instructions.

Herman

Shuzie:

I just replaced my slide awnings on my 09 Journey. I got mine from the Tough Top Awnings web site. Mine also were Carefree. Their methodology to replace which requires widening the channel at one end makes the task very simple. You will Need an 8 ft step ladder and at least a 6 ft one for a helper who feeds the awning to you while you pull it thru the channels to do it safely. You ned a drill to widen the channel and a vise grip style oil filter wrench ($15 from Harbor Freight) to do it easily. Took us about 2 1/2 hours to replace both - one of which was 21 feet long. It is a simple task if done using the instructions from the website. The TT replacement is vinyl and thicker than the Carefree original.

Like Herman, I went to the Carefree site to see the instructions for replacing. They have you remove the awning tube which convinced me that I didn't want to wrestle a 21 foot awning 10 feet above ground and try to reinstall It later. While their method undoubtedly works, I would suggest it will scare off more DIY'ers which may be their objective. Check out the Tough Top instructions for the fast and simple approach.

Bob

I removed and replaced the slide out awnings on our coach. They were Carefree of Colorado, no requirement to remove the roller on ours. I suspect that the answer to your question depends in part on which model slide out cover you have. I'm going to have to replace another one and I'm having it done at the factory service center. Just getting a little slower and less flexible.

Depending on what's wrong with your awning, I may have a cheap fix for you. Our Carefree slide awning came loose at the RV. We realized the stitching had come loose. My husband & a friend removed it (carefully- read the directions, you can find them online). I took it to a shoe repair store & they restitched it for us. We had them stitch it with the small vinyl strip inserted. My husband & our friend remounted it & it's good as new. We then took some RV glue & put it on all our awning stitching. The sunlight breaks the threads after awhile. Maybe this will be helpful to you. If it's a carefree, you have to stick a pin in one end before removing the awning to hold the tension.

If you have any questions, call Carefree. My experience is that their techs service is higher quality than their awning material and thread.

We have A&E 9000 covers. After 10 years the fabric was getting brittle so I ordered new ones from Tough Tops, they came in less than two weeks and cost just over $200. Friend and I did them in just an hour or so for both. We have the metal covers so they had to allow for that. Nice heavy material, much heavier than OEM and cheaper too.

Deenad,

I see you replaced awning material. Did you have to tension the tube and if so can you explain that process? Or anyone else for that matter. Thanks!

PS. Please email me at rodbar53@yahoo.com

All good advice and info. I too bought awning from tough tops. It came with excellent directions. Be sure to follow the directions on how to measure the awning on the web site you order from. It is better to err on the short side rather than too long. I measured mine a little to exactly. Another 1/4 inch and it would have been too long to roll up properly.

I had my awnings replaced locally in Las Vegas from Sahara RV. They are right near Las Vegas Blvd. on Sahara. It's not a big place, but they have a couple really experienced RV techs. They don't do anything custom, but they can work on most anything else. I rented a RV from them years ago, and that is what really got me hooked on RV'ing. I order custom parts from a company in California, but I have had Sahara RV install some of them.

After reading the comments here, I replaced the fabric and spring on our 2000 American Eagle slide out. Ours was a Carefree and I found them to be very helpful. If you are going to do this I would suggest spending extra time to take a good look at your seals and gaskets in the area below the cover. It is impossible to clean or inspect this area with the slide out cover in place. I spent considerable time cleaning the gasket under the cover and treating the gasket. I also resealed a large area and washed an waxed the area on the sidewall just below the cover. While you could simply replace the spring and cover in a couple hours I would add two or three more to clean and inspect what you can not see once the cover is replaced. Look at it as an opportunity inspect and service this area of your motor home. While you can do this project by yourself, you can save considerable time with one person helping.

I have replaced my slide awnings, my wife and I can do in about 1 hour. http://toughtopawnings.com/ has how to videos on several makes of awnings and how to measure your awning.

They have seemed to last, has been a couple years now and no problems and cost is very reasonable.

Neil Van Dyk

F442182

Watched the way the "pros" do it by drilling out the channel with my three carefree, then I did it by pinning the roll and spring together with a small allen wrench after unrolling the fabric. I then removed an end cap after pulling awning out and slid new one in. I found that the three Allen screws were stripped and cap loose on one slide, went to Home Depot, got 1/2" longer stainless screws and fixed the loose cap. I find when I take short cuts, it always bites me in the keister... LOL! They pin like A&E window awning springs...

Hi there, I just replaced one of my side topper awnings, the best instruction video I found was on the rvgeeks web. site.

I ordered from tough-top, the material is superior to Carefree and cheaper.

Check it out and good luck.

Smokeater75.

I have an older RV and needed the awning replaced. In Southern Oregon there is an outfit that repairs and replaces awnings. We stayed at an RV park in Brookings, OR. They carry new and used parts for awnings of all types. They came out and removed the old awning in the park - took about an hour. A day later, brought out the new one and installed it. Very inexpensive, as awnings go. Excellent job, good people.

They also have a good video to show how to do it: http://www.rvawningrepairs.com

I did both my slide out toppers and it was simple. The secret was the RVGEEKS YouTube videos. I watched them about 2 or 3 times just to make sure I caught every detail and it was amazingly easy.

They recommend Tough Top Awnings and that is where I got my new material from. It's top notch and they were very professional when dealing with them. I think they still have a discount code for the RVGEEK viewers.

RVGEEK website http://thervgeeks.com/awnings-and-slide-toppers/

Tough Tops website http://www.toughtopawnings.com/index.html