Sign in to follow this  
justus2

Problem With My Even Brake-- Anyone Have This Problem?

I have a 35' motorhome towing a 2001 Saturn car with a Roadmaster Even Brake that I use for stopping the car that I bought new.

I install unit as per owners manual & everything works correctly. but, when I'm driving along and need to brake, no braking in car occurs & motorhome sensor reads like no braking is happening.

Roadmaster sent me the new sensors for both car & camper but still no braking is occurring. like I said before-- when camper and car are sitting still, all tests perform as they should but traveling on the roads--0- nothing works. Roadmaster techs have no ideas. anyone experience something like this yourselves? Oh yes, I've had to make hard braking stops but it still won't work.

When I had mine, sometimes it would not indicate braking. I put a auxiliary brake light inside the car on the dash. I could see the light in my rearview camera. I found that the car was braking but the brake system was not always sending a reliable signal to the cab receiver. I repositioned the transmitter in the car and it seemed to help some.

Actually Mike Cannon at Roadmaster is the one who designed all the Roadmaster brake systems and would be the one I would call.

Wayne Wells is their suspension guru.

Brett

We purchased Even Brake in May 2012, and had it dealer installed. We have had nothing but problems. Roadmaster sent us a whole new Even Brake system during the first couple of weeks because the unit basically wasn't functioning reliably (usually not braking unless applying the coach brakes forcefully). The replacement unit seemed to work (although not quite to the degree we thought it should) for a few weeks, and then, while on a road trip, the braking function stopped working. The TESTING processes worked appropriately at startup while stationary, but the monitor continued to hang on "Test is Good, System Ready", and no braking would occur when in motion. We tested this by having my wife ride in the dinghy while at a large rest area, and despite several attempts, no car braking occurred. The rep thought it might be a faulty accelerator. At any rate, we are again waiting for Roadmaster to correct the problem. We have paid to mail the unit to them.They state it will be another 4 weeks before we will have our "repaired" unit back. We lack confidence in their product, and we regret at this point having purchased it.

Thanks everyone for the replies. RV won't be going out till late September.

Wolfe 10--- I'll give Mike Cannon a call when I leave & see what he suggests. Hope I don't need to return for repairs, unit has very limited use on it.

Yes, give Mike a call-- just not this week. He is at the FMCA Convention all week. Saw him there in several of the seminars I gave.

Brett