Sign in to follow this  
mikendar

Winegard TRAV'LER Issue

My awning recently blew over the top of our coach and dented the dish. Now the dish just turns and searches but never locks on to a satellite. The damage appeared to not be significant. could it be enough to cause this? Or is there something else to look for.

Winegard did not seem to have any technical info to share.

Does anyone know of a way to test this?

Thanks.

I am sorry to hear that you did not find the feedback from Winegard and the Winegard forum to be enough information. The fact that you know you damaged the antenna would lead me to suggest that you might want to take it to a repair facility where a more detailed analysis of the problem can be done. If you have warped the reflector you may never lock on since the signal would no longer be focused on the LNB's. If you damaged a cable or an LNB you would also end up with no signal.

Does the display ever show that it is peaking or identifiy anything?

Thanks for the input. I think the dish may be warped and that is probably the best place to start. I am working with a repair tech and he is ordering a new reflector. It looks like repairing these systems is a matter of replacing components one at a time until it is working again. The display just shows searching so it is not seeing anything. There is no overall way to diagnose just where the problem is. It does not appear that we damaged the cable or LNB' so hopefully the reflector will do it.

Thanks again for your response.

Mike

Please so let us know if I am correct about the reflector. I would be very surprised if it was anything else unless you really gave the antenna a huge whacking. That center DirecTV LNB contains 3 LNB's and each one is about the diameter of a tube of lipstick. The signal from the 101 satellite must be able to focus on the center LNB inside and if it cannot you will not get anything.