Sign in to follow this  
Larry196

I Want To Buy A Basement Freezer For My RV

We are buying a new RV tomorrow and would like to buy a chest type freezer designed for the basement of my rig.

CW Wants almost $900.00 and I can eat out a lot for that price.

We need a "Classified" area for these type of things.

Larry F428262

Did you want an electric freezer or were you looking for some kind of cheap option like a box with a lid and some dry ice?

"a chest type freezer designed for the basement of my rig" is different than anything you might find in a house so don't compare pricing for a mass produced 120V unit and the minimally produced 12V RV setups.

You can always look for used units, units listed on E-Bay and Craig's List, etc., but the reality is that this kind of a product is not going to be cheap. My coach came with one which I immediately threw in the trash. I just don't want to keep more stuff in my coach than necessary so when I need something I go to the store and buy it. YMMV!

Never thought about a house unit.

Most of the ones I've seen are like a strongbox from the old west.

Like this

logo.gif&sizeN=0.1,0.1&posN=.42,.4&opac=20

Just remember that a household unit requires that you provide 120V power 24 hour per day. An inverter can handle this but you may have to refresh your batteries with shore or generator power more than you are willing to do.

Unless you have a slide out tray in your basement storage area, you won't be able to lift the lid on one of those small home chest freezers. Plus the weight is considerable.

My rig came with a basement ac/dc freezer but if bought seperately wouldn't be cheap. You can find units from places other than CW and the cost is lower.

When I'm not on the road, I remove my unit and use it in the house so I am 'sorta' getting two uses for the price.

I have a Dometic CF 110 with a slide out tray. It runs on AC [or inverter] or 12VDC and is 3.77 CU ft. It does not draw a lot of current and can be used as a supplemental refrigerator or a freezer and can maintain temperatures from 0 degrees to 40 degrees or so, I had this box in my previous motorhome because it had a gas/electric refrigerator that like every other gas/electric I have owned, did not work well, so I bought it as a supplemental refrigerator. We bought a new motorhome in September 2011 with a residentail refrigerator, and I took the box and installed it in the new unit. I keep drinks, etc in it mostly and it stays 35 degrees all the time.

JDW F78957

I have a Dometic CF 110 with a slide out tray. It runs on AC [or inverter] or 12VDC and is 3.77 CU ft. It does not draw a lot of current and can be used as a supplemental refrigerator or a freezer and can maintain temperatures from 0 degrees to 40 degrees or so, I had this box in my previous motorhome because it had a gas/electric refrigerator that like every other gas/electric I have owned, did not work well, so I bought it as a supplemental refrigerator. We bought a new motorhome in September 2011 with a residentail refrigerator, and I took the box and installed it in the new unit. I keep drinks, etc in it mostly and it stays 35 degrees all the time.

JDW F78957

We have that but probably an older model. We ordered our 2000 DSDP with one and then when we upgraded to the 2002 we ordered it again. Cost installed on a slideout tray was $1700 in 2002 $. Use it for a freezer and it's been running 24/7/365 since we bought it in 2002 except for a 113 days it was at the dealers. Still works just fine although the ice cream was a little soft (not runny soft just not solid) on a 100° day with that side in full sun.