Sophia7

Pacific Coast Highway, Route 1 California

Question

6 answers to this question

Yes, we have as well, but you really need to tell us what part of it you are interested in-- that is a long highway and some parts are more "adventuresome" than others.

The other part of the equation is how good are you at "technical driving" in your motorhome?

How long is your motorhome? The PCH is restricted to coaches 40 feet or less. We drove the section from San Luis Obispo to Monterrey last February in our 40 ft Phaeton, towing our Jeep. The lower section was pretty hairy, several hairpin bends where I felt like I could reach out and touch the Jeep from the MH drivers seat. It is better if you do it during the week, so you won't have to deal with weekend tourists.

We drove the sections north of San Francisco about 12 years ago in a 31 ft coach, towing a Cherokee. That wasn't too bad, except that some of the northern area is open range, and several times we came face to face with herds of cows, and a 300 ft drop to the sea on one side of the road and a cliff on the land side.

Also one must dodge logging trucks along the area near the Redwoods.

Enjoy, it is beautiful! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply.

We have a 40 ft coach and flat tow a Jeep Liberty.

We are traveling from Leggett Ca, to Watsonville Ca.

What do you mean by "technical" driving? My husband is an excellent driver, been driving the coach all over the country for over a year, through some tight spots. He was a bus driver for over 10 years and drove fuel trucks at Logan Airport also. He has a CDL license. Thanks for the help.

I would recommend you go to Willits on #101 before you turn west to Ft. Bragg. That's a good road. I do not recommend you turn onto #1 at Legget as it is a narrow road to the coast with hairpin turns and a ditch on the side...no shoulder. The logging trucks take both lanes and there is nowhere for you to go. From Ft. Bragg south it is a good road with a lot of scenery. Stop and enjoy a fresh fish meal.