Sign in to follow this  
Larry196

New Monaco Rig -- MPG?

We just bought a '06 HR 40 foot, with a 400 Cummins. The coach weight is 33,000 and we plan on towing a '13 Kia Soul, 3,700 lbs on a tow dolly.

I have heard we can expect between 6 and 15 mpg.

I have never had a diesel so I have no idea who to believe, but I know I can trust people on this forum, that have done the traveling.

What kind of fuel mileage can I truly expect ????

Larry & Rita F428262

Larry, congrats on the new coach. We have 02 Monaco (40') with the Cummins 400 ISL. We tow a Chevrolet 1500 Extended Cab 4 down. I would believe 6 and love to get 15 but that ain't goin to happen. (unless you can travel on a road that goes down hill for 4 or 5 hundred miles). :lol: We get 6.5 to 7 MPG on a steady basis.

Good luck and enjoy your new rig.

Herman

We got our Itasca Meridian 36M earlier this year. A couple of short weekend getaways gave us around 8 MPG. This summer we traveled to the WIT GNR in Forest City, IA. Overall mileage for the 4000 mile round trip was (to me) an astonishing 9.2 including running the generator for the house A/C and towing a Jeep. We usually cruise at 5 below the limit.

Be happy with 8 MPG, expect about 7 depending on how heavy your foot is!

Agreed. I would only add, when towing, accept 6.5. Speed, climbs, and wind are enemies to mpg. Especially speed. I notice a significant difference between 60 mph and 65 mph. 60 mph gets (for us) at least 1/2 mpg better mileage when towing. Use of the generator will alter results somewhat depending on usage.

You just bought a 40 ft. motorhome rig with a 400 hp diesel engine (and a good one) pushing 33,000 lbs. . Don't sweat the mileage. It is what it is and it is not good. Whomever told you over 10 is smoking something they shouldn't be smoking. I figure it costs about $0.40 to $0.50 per mile for fuel. Add in all the maintenance, storage, insurance, etc. and...............I don't want to know the per mile cost. Don't anyone tell me.

Don

I have made it my choice to never worry about MPG or if I have to pay too much for fuel during a trip. If I do it ruins the trip for me. The time I get up tight is when the Visa bill comes in. That is when everything come together. Don't get me wrong I do try for the best fuel prices but still don't let it get me down.

Have some good trips and worry after the bill comes in.

Herman

High 7s to low 8s with our 400 ISL. Biggest detriment to fuel mileage is a heavy foot and head winds.

Congrats to Your New Coach.

We have a 04 Alfa Gold 40 ft with a 400 Cummins , approx,33000 lbs ,towing a Nissan Maxima on a tow dolly.

Just completed a 7800 mile trip, averaged 8.1 mpg, keeping the speed at 62-63 at 1600-1650 RPM.

Good luck and god bless.

old Marine