tiffinphaeton

Good Sam Roadside Assistance versus Coach Net

I have both Good Sam Roadside Assistance and NMC/Coach-Net plans. My first year of RV ownership is approaching in October-2012. I have not had to use either Good Sam or Coach Net so far so don't have any experience with how well they perform. I am leaning toward Coach Net but wanted to see if anyone had any experience using either of these services and could fill me in on what their experiences have been so far.

Thanks in advance

We have been back and forth over 12 years and 160,000 miles of motor home travel, most of it full time. We had Good Sam when we were at our first FMCA Convention in Hutchinson, KS. It rained for several days and everyone parked on grass was living in a lake/mud environment. Everyone near us had to be pulled out. There were farm tractors working everywhere. We called GS and I expected that it would be hours if not days before we could get a wrecker. Surprise, it was about 30 minutes and we were out. Then we had an incident in N California (engine ate an exhaust valve) and they couldn't get us a wrecker until the next day. We were in a campground and we had called the day before and tried to make an appointment which they refused to do. That backed us up into a holiday weekend for repair work so it cost us four or five days that wouldn't have been necessary. We dropped them and went with Coach Net. We had good service with them, one incident, stuck in the mud in a campground in N. Dakota and they had a wrecker there, no problem. The next time we were stuck in the Sierra Mountains, broken oil line, and had communication problems with Coach Net. Couldn't call back and get the same agent when we needed to follow up. We changed back to Good Sam. We blew a tire on the interstate in St. Joseph, MO and Good Sam couldn't or wouldn't get us service that could provide the proper tire. They convinced us to have the service company come out and assess the situation. When they arrived we were going to have to purchase a used tire and a new rim. We refused the service. They wouldn't talk to us saying that we had received our service call. We called a shop about 50 miles away in Kansas City and had them come out to put on the proper tire. We bought a tire we could use but had to purchase a rim we didn't need. We also had to pay for the service call. So now we are back with Coach Net. We had a tire problem two years ago, on a Sunday night, interstate highway in Alabama. They had someone there within an hour. We bought a used tire that wasn't the proper size but got us on the road.

What is the conclusion you can draw from the above? I guess I would say that you will find that some situations will work out well for you and others won't. If you use these services you will experience some frustration. I think it depends greatly on who you get for the agent to handle your problem. For now we are with Coach Net and just renewed for another 3 years. I guess you could say that I am more comfortable with Coach Net. Either way, I wouldn't be without this service. When (not if) you have a breakdown, they can find you a service provider to take care of you. They don't pay repair costs and their motivation is to minimize their costs for the service call, not to minimize your repair costs. Their solution may not always be in your best interest but they will provide a solution and cover the cost of a tow to the nearest service or a service call. You don't get to choose where that closest service is unless there are several providers an equal distance away, nor do you get a choice of the service call provider unless there are equal cost providers available at your location.

As a newbie, I signed up for CoachNet right after purchasing my first coach. Four months later I had to be towed in Virginia (July 2010) to a service center about 35 miles from home. The driver was professional and provided excellent service. CoachNet called to check on me several times while I waited on the highway. They also followed up to see if the service was satisfactory. The service center became my primary service dealer.

Newly married, We are now on a 7-month trip...across country. Left North Carolina in April, and in June we had a breakdown in New Mexico, and again received excellent towing service. It's a matter of when, not if, you will need road service.

We have never used Good Sam, but have heard good things about them. I highly recommend CoachNet.

Dot

Good Sam bent over backwards to deny a minor claim, citing a chain of related items to reach a non-covered aspect of my tie rod replacement.

Then, they ignored my BBB complaint against them.

As far as I'm concerned, they simply stole my money.

I used Good Sam once with a tire blowout. They sent someone who replaced my blown tire with my spare tire. Obviously if I did not have a spare tire then the whole process would be that much more difficult and taken much longer. I have no complaints, but would like to know about other companies besides Good Sam and Coach-Net. Surely there are more than two companies competing for our business.

I have had Good Sams, I have had U.S. Rider (mostly for the Equestrian Community but they will service any one if you pay your fee's and you vehicles are less than 10yrs old or have less than 100,000 miles) IMHO Coach Net is the best of the three.

I have been with Allstate and also AAA in the past.......... until I needed the service. I can say from first hand experience that neither company has a clue when it comes to the kind of equipment needed to tow an RV. Why they even claim to be in the RV business is beyond me.

On the advice of a friend, I switched to Coach-Net years ago. As luck would have it, 2 days after signing up I had a master cylinder go out and needed to be towed to the closest Heavy Duty Ford dealership. They promptly sent the biggest dadgone tow truck I had seen. Driver knew what he was doing....... had me on the hook, disconnected the drive shaft, and delivered to the dealership within 2 hours.

I know nothing about Good Sam, but can highly recommend Coach-Net based on my experiences in addition to that of friends.

I forgot: the topic came up over at the dysfunctional forum, and the same consensus was reached: if your circumstances require a contract provider, eg not having a shop and skills at your disposal, Coach Net polled as the preferred choice.

I'am very disappointed in coach-net, they don`t fix everything. There are many certain things they cannot help you with. It`s a temporary fix .

For example, if you have a flat tire or dead battery, they will jump start you, or change your tire if you have a spare. They don`t go into great detail. They will get you help, but you pay for it. For me it`s not worth the money spent. I have AAA road service and well satisfied with there service.

Fred

If you have good RV insurance, you don`t need either services, because they will only tow you to the nearist service centers. Why spend extray money when your own insurance will pay for the same service. Plus they don`t fix everything.

buttons,

I both agree and disagree with you. If you have insurance on you auto and RV you will most likely have towing. That I agree with you on.

However on that night when your wide is out on the road and has a flat on her car she can call your roadside assistance and they will come out to change the tire bring her fuel or help unlock her car. When you are in your RV out between Rockspring and Cheynne, WY and have a flat you can get someone to come out and fix or replace your tire.

We have had both Good Sams and Coach Net. Thankfully I have only had to the service, Coach Net, one time. However for the company to come out was so far away that I called Coach Net back and told them that it would be very hard for the service to come in less the 4 hours and that I would call someone in town. They said that would be fine and to send them the service call bill. They sent me a check by return mail.

So you see there are good point to having extra coverage

Good luck,

Herman

My husband and I traveled to Canada this year and had several tire issues. We have coach-net. We have nothing but good things to say about them. The first time we were stuck on a Sunday in a Flying J parking lot, it was 5 p.m., try to find a tire then.

They had a guy there with a new tire within an hour, put it on our coach. We paid for the tire, but not the service call. While waiting they phoned several times to see how we were. The next time we had a tire issue it was in Canada, we were stuck under a freeway overpass, I called and because it was on a holiday Monday and because the blowout was on our 20 ft car hauler they had to send a huge flatbed tow truck, there was only one company that would do the job so it took awhile for them to get to us.

Coach-net found us a campground, had the tow truck take our trailer there. Next morning they came out and picked up the trailer and took it to a repair facility. The drivers were awesome and coach-net kept track of us ... we will stick with coach-net.

If you have good RV insurance, you don`t need either services, because they will only tow you to the nearist service centers. Why spend extray money when your own insurance will pay for the same service. Plus they don`t fix everything.

X2

When I had the Class C, my ERS was with Progressive. During that 6 years, I had 2 blowouts (back to back the same day). Had 2 fuel pumps expire. All in Rural locations. Progressive ERS was excellent. I believe they contracted with Coach-net at the time.

The only problem I had was not with progressive, but with their contractor. I was towing a uhaul, and they did not want to cover towing it. I knew my ERS contract and professionally explained to them that towing the trailer was covered, they back-downed and towed it along with my MH. I talked to Progressive about it, and they agreed. They also told me, if anything arises in the future to call them and they will ensure the contractor abides by their contract.

I have had both GS ERS and Coach-net ERS. I never had to use either while under contract with them.

I now have ERS for both the Jeep and MH with my current Insurer. After researching their contract, my policy, etc,,,,it provides the same coverage at less cost.

Value for the $. I'm confident that should I need ERS, they will come through as did Progressive ERS.

That's my mileage, yours could be different. What a Country,,,,,,we still have choices. Freeeeeedom!

I have been with both services, but I found that Good Sam does not have a 24/7 live tech line; coachnet does. Had a problem with GS and had to wait over a weekend to get someone to talk to. Have not had to use coachnet yet.

I had a Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership and I was happy with there service until I was on a trip with my RV and I was pulling my car on a car trailer I had a flat on the trailer and I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance I ask them to send someone out to put my spar on I was told that I was not covered in my policy for a trailer with tandem wheels I should put the spar on myself I told him that I was 70 years old and had a bad back and I could not change it myself the next thing he told me to do was to drive my RV and go to a station and have the spar put on I told him there was a car on the trailer and the other tire would go flat and I would rune the tires and what did I buy the Good Sam Roadside Assistance for he got nasty with me on the phone and said if I wanted to quite the Good Sam Roadside Assistance plan he would cancel it wright then I told him I would keep it till I got home I still had several thousand miles to go on my trip and six weeks before I got home I again told him I was 70 years old and had a bad back and he said he would not help me I drove to the next town it was about 10 miles away and I wound up having to buy two tires . I tried calling Good Sam Customer Service to complain and I got no ware fast when I got home I called Good Sams Customer Service again I was told someone would call me back I never got a call back I wrote several letters to Good Sam Roadside Assistance and never got an answer I belong to an RV club and they said why don't I join COACH NET I canceled my Good Sam Roadside Assistance and joined

Coach Net and I never had any trouble with COACH NET I have been very happy with there service If someone from Good Sam Roadside Assistance reads this my Good Sam # is 561314485 I am just so frustrated with Good Sam Roadside Assistance It takes a company years and a good deal of money build a good reputation and it takes one bad exuberance to rune it

Thank You

Donald Lieberman

I had a half flat tire in new Orleans. Coach Net said I should drive to a tire repair shop. They finally sent a fellow who could not change the tire as he had no jack. He tried to patch the leak but it did not hold.

I had a tire blow out on Hyway 75, phoned Good Sam. In less then a hour, help arrived and the spar installed. I will stay with Good Sam.

Denis Ross

I had Coach Net with my purchase of my 2008 Georgetown Motorhome, and need assistance when in New Mexico...total dash had no power,,,,called CN and they told me to drive 90 miles back...no other options!......My Good Sam service has been always there including picking up my car adn bringing it to a tire dealer for repairs!

So......my vote is for Good Sam

George

We are nine year fulltimers and have used both CoachNet and Good Sam with good results with both of them. We learned last year there is one big difference between the two and that is if you have an accident/crash and need to be towed. CoachNet will not tow your vehicle in that case, only if it is an emergency situation, while GS WILL tow your vehicle(s) in an accident situation. Just something to think about.

We learned last year there is one big difference between the two and that is if you have an accident/crash and need to be towed. CoachNet will not tow your vehicle in that case, only if it is an emergency situation, while GS WILL tow your vehicle(s) in an accident situation. Just something to think about.

I learned that a couple of years ago, and added my Insurance carrier ERS to my policy. When my independent ERS coverage expired, I did not renew. Now with my insurance policy ERS, covered for both situations. Again, at less cost. Just talked with Insurance Rep today viewing policy changes, and She brought up My ERS coverage. We discussed the ERS coverage.

Good point, a lot folks may not realize.

Mr. Lieberman

I read your blog in FMCA and became very concerned. I am a lifetime Good Sam member and have the Good Sam Roadside Assistance plan. I took the liberty of coping your blog and adding the following :

This is addressed to the "action line" at Good Sam and was from me titled "this couldn't be true - could it?" Please take no offense as I am trying to get the "action line" people to actually read the email.

I read this today in the latest FMCA newsletter in the section entitled Good Sam vs Coach Net Roadside Assistance. The man who submitted this signed his name and gave his member number. If this is true, why should anyone keep Good Sam Roadside Assistance? As a lifetime member of Good Sam, I would like an answer. Copied from the FMCA e newsletter "I had a Good Sam Roadside Assistance membership and I was happy with there service until I was on a trip with my RV and I was pulling my car on a car trailer I had a flat on the trailer and I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance I ask them to send someone out to put my spar on I was told that I was not covered in my policy for a trailer with tandem wheels I should put the spar on myself I told him that I was 70 years old and had a bad back and I could not change it myself the next thing he told me to do was to drive my RV and go to a station and have the spar put on I told him there was a car on the trailer and the other tire would go flat and I would rune the tires and what did I buy the Good Sam Roadside Assistance for he got nasty with me on the phone and said if I wanted to quite the Good Sam Roadside Assistance plan he would cancel it wright then I told him I would keep it till I got home I still had several thousand miles to go on my trip and six weeks before I got home I again told him I was 70 years old and had a bad back and he said he would not help me I drove to the next town it was about 10 miles away and I wound up having to buy two tires . I tried calling Good Sam Customer Service to complain and I got no ware fast when I got home I called Good Sams Customer Service again I was told someone would call me back I never got a call back I wrote several letters to Good Sam Roadside Assistance and never got an answer I belong to an RV club and they said why don't I join COACH NET I canceled my Good Sam Roadside Assistance and joined

Coach Net and I never had any trouble with COACH NET I have been very happy with there service If someone from Good Sam Roadside Assistance reads this my Good Sam # is 561314485 I am just so frustrated with Good Sam Roadside Assistance It takes a company years and a good deal of money build a good reputation and it takes one bad exuberance to rune it

Thank You

Donald Lieberman "

If and when I get an answer, I will let you know. In the mean time I am looking into Coach Net. Being stranded on the side of the road and getting some idiot on the phone who would not help me after I had a contract with Good Sam would not be good. I too travel with a family and pets. Keep your fingers crossed, maybe we wil lget an answer.

Jeff Roche

I'am very disappointed in coach-net, they don`t fix everything. There are many certain things they cannot help you with. It`s a temporary fix .

For example, if you have a flat tire or dead battery, they will jump start you, or change your tire if you have a spare. They don`t go into great detail. They will get you help, but you pay for it. For me it`s not worth the money spent. I have AAA road service and well satisfied with there service.

Fred

You better hope you do NOT need AAA for your RV in one of their NON covered areas.........AAA is NOT one company nationwide, but is 51 separate small companies with very different rules in each area. MOST do NOT cover RVs and will NOT even provide you the courtesy of dispatching the needed service with you paying.....Check for yourself, if you doubt what I say.

We have had Good Sam for three years. First year, we like you, didn't need their services. Second year I had my tires rotated and rebalanced at a local shop on a Tuesday. Following Saturday after the wife had packed the coach for a weekend trip I discovered on my pre-trip inspection that my inside rear dually was flat. A result of the tire guy not replacing the cross over flexible air valve extension on properly, thus letting all the air out of my tire. Well, I called GS as we were dead in the water and after about an hour I was told I would have to wait until the following Monday for repairs to be made. Furious I asked why the delay and I was told no local assistance could be found on the weekend. More furious by now I asked "What if I were stuck on the side of I-40?" They stated because my coach was in a secure location i.e. my driveway that that is how it works. Granted the person on the other end of the phone was very courteous and professional with me but none the less I was not getting what I was promised when I signed up. GS said they would continue to search for some help for me which eventually did happen about another hour and a half later. By then I had luckily gotten the local tire guy on the phone and they as a good will gesture sent their roadservice guy out to rectify my (their) problem. Of course I had to get furious with them as well for presenting me with a $165 bill after I had already paid them $268 for the alignment and rotation/rebalance. The tire guy relented on the $165 bill to keep my business. As a footnote, after complaining to upper management with GS they gave me 6 months of free membership for the inconvenience. I did have a blow out this past summer on the way to the beach, called GS WITHOUT any problems and was on my way within an hour. I have since purchased a new set of tires for the coach. Will I renew, yes.

We have had Good Sam Road Service for many years.

We have used the service quite a few times, always for tire problems.

They are very responsive and it is a god send to have them at the end of the phone.

They call back to keep you updated to where the call is and if your experience was

agreeable.

We will continue to have the service as long as we possibly can. It also covers all of our

other vehicles including our motorcycles.

Hope this will help you with your choice.

Carol Fogg,

Maine and Florida