tiffinphaeton

Good Sam Roadside Assistance versus Coach Net

bobetlindsay: You better hope you do NOT need AAA for your RV in one of their NON covered areas.........AAA is NOT one company nationwide, but is 51 separate small companies with very different rules in each area. MOST do NOT cover RVs and will NOT even provide you the courtesy of dispatching the needed service with you paying.....Check for yourself, if you doubt what I say.

Just to let you know: we have AAA RV Plus from Western New York and have not had any problems getting roadside service across the USA. We've been members of AAA of WNY for 40 years of which 20+ years RV Plus coverage (with the last 10 years as full-timers).

We have been towed to a facility of OUR choice- (covered for upto 100 miles). Received roadside service for a tire blow-out with the spare tire mounted and installed. When we crawled off an interstate and came to a stop, AAA stayed in contact with us and updated us with response time, wrecker size etc. Another time we were towed to one facility (because it was a weekend) and on Monday morning AAA towed us again to the next service facility a few miles away because they could help us much more quickly.

We belong to three RV clubs - Escapees, FMCA and Good Sam.

For many years we used the Good Sam Road Service (before their melt-down) and were very pleased with the service on the occasions we had to call for help. Several years ago we started towing a closed trailer that doubled as a toy hauler for the bike and as an additional bedroom for the grandkids. In reading the "benefits pamphlet" that came with Good Sam I couldn't find any info on what they covered for the trailer so I called Good Sam and much to my surprise was told that they did not cover anything in tow. I started researching and found that Coach Net does cover "in-tows", Even better they cover all vehicles and RVs that you own (Class A and fifth wheel in our case) as well as any RV I am operating, whether owned, rented, borrowed or whatever. And, their premium was lower than Good Sam. We switched to Coach-Net.

Since then I have had to call for a tow 3 times - once for SWMBO's car, once for my truck (for the 5er) and once for the Class A. Service was quick and efficient in all cases. The call-back feature is much appreciated. The tow company tells them the estimated service time and the Coach net call center calls you back when that time is up to see if the tow showed up in timely fashion. Nice touch! Earlier this year one of our club members got stuck in a wet field and needed a tow out. Later I called both Coach Net and Good Sam to see what their coverage was for that. Good Sam said they will cover a maximum of one (1) hour of wincch out by one (1) truck. Coach Net covers two (2) hours of winch out time and will break that down and send two (2) tow trucks for one (1) hour each if needed. I know that Good Sam has gone through some hard times in recent years and is now working it's way back up the quality ladder but I think Coach-net still has them beat.

JD

I have had Good Sam ERS for 24 years and never had any bad experience until a couple of years ago. I have had tires replaced on the road, Tows due to engine problems and battery jumps all with very good responses. Three years ago I had a tow due to a plugged fuel filter. The responding mechanic (from the tow company) diagnosed the problem as a bad fuel pump and arranged a tow with Good Sam ERS. When my motor home was delivered to a Cat dealer the tow company required a payment from me of $2250 and stated that I would get my money back faster than he could receive payment. (Wrong). I was first reimbursed $500 as the tow company bypassed a RV repair facility. I had originally received permission to tow to the Cat dealer as the bypassed RV repair facility did not work on engines. After Good Sam reviewed the recorded conversation with me and the ERS contact they sent another check for $1750 and a letter of apology for the slowness of reimbursement. Needless to say a bad situation turned out OK and I am still with Good Sam.

Gerald Thomas

Don

I received the following from Good Sam in response to my inquiry last week (9/5/12).

Hello Mr. Roche,

Thank you so much for contacting us with your concerns. When you read something like this it is very understandable that this brings up many questions about the service we provide. I hope that I can provide you with peace of mind that your membership and money have not been wasted on Good Sam.

We do honestly apologize that at the time of his disablement in June of 2009, that we were unable to meet Mr. Lieberman’s expectations. The good news is that since 2009 we have made major changes in our Roadside Assistance programs. One of the biggest is that we switched dispatch providers. The switch to a new dispatch provider has raised not only our customer satisfaction rating but also allowed us to reach a new level of efficiency in providing quick and quality assistance to our members.

Beyond that change, we have also made great enhancements to training of our Dispatchers as well as to the Member Service agents. This enhanced training has really helped us focus on the most important thing; Helping our members. We have also added benefits and diversified the programs we offer to provide a higher level of service, as well as the best product to all of our members. At the time of Mr. Lieberman’s request for assistance, we did not cover utility trailers or car trailers for service. We saw that gap in coverage and made changes, so we added a program named Good Sam Platinum Roadside Assistance that provides benefits for a disablement with a utility trailer or a car trailer.

With that said we have also made it a point to provide help to our members even if the service they need isn’t covered by the Roadside Assistance program they might have. If Mr. Lieberman were to call today, and let’s say he only had our standard Roadside Assistance program, which doesn’t cover utility or car trailers. We would still make all efforts to dispatch service to him, even though his disablement isn’t covered. Now please keep in mind, that while this service would be at his expense, but we would not abandon him.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback and would be happy to speak to you if you would like discuss the Roadside Assistance programs.

Thank you for your membership.

Wes Robinson

Good Sam

64 Inverness Dr East

Englewood, CO 80112-5114

T – 303-728-7395

Email – wrobinson@goodsamfamily.com

I have had both and now again have coach net. No problems no hassle and prompt service what more could you want I highly recomened them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've had Good Sam for the past 3 years. Had to use them last year when our tow car had a flat. They came within an hour. A few months later, we couldn't get one of our jacks to go up so again, we called Good Sam. They sent a guy who ended up having to remove the jack in order to get it raised. Good Sam paid for the guy to come, but not to do the work, we expected that. A couple of months ago, our motorhome died at a busy intersection. Called Good Sam once again. The agent we worked with was very helpful, but it was late Saturday afternoon & she couldn't get anyone to guarantee help before 2 hours. Luckily for us, the police showed up & said 2 hours was unacceptable & they could have someone there within half an hour. The lady at Good Sam said we would have to pay the service but to send in the bill with an explanation & most likely they would cover it. In the meantime, she tried to find a service provider for us to be taken, but everyone was closed. She did find us a campground & said they would call us Monday morning to set up a tow to service. We took the names & #'s of the police officers & all pertinent info for our letter to accompany the $600 towing bill. On Monday morning, Good Sam called us with the name of the company who would come for us & basically asked where we wanted to go for repair. They were very good about all of it & did pay the first tow bill with no problem. Another time We had them send someone to a campground to fix the valve stem on one of the motorhome tires. They paid the service call & we paid the labor. So far, we've been pleased with our service, but we've never gotten stuck in the middle of nowhere, so don't know how that would go. I guess they all have their good & bad points.

A few years ago we had Good Sam ERS and on a trip from AZ to Alberta, Can. we were in an area of AZ where there no cell service nor CB. Our engine quit going up a mountain. The State Patrol came by and told us to move the MH because of an impending storm. He used his radio to call a wrecker and when they arrived, the driver told he was ERS connected. He jacked us up and hauled us into Page AZ to a repair garage. I could not get ahold of Good Same until the next for authorization. The driver had notified them and they graciously paid the $285.00 tow bill. All that for a $79.00 enrollment fee

Deacon

Read the contracts & see how many times in a year you can use their service. The way I read the GS contract, I was limited to 5 call-outs per year. I went with CN.

Chuck

Last July I signed up with Coach-Net Gold Plan. I wanted to join it a year earlier, when I decided against continuing to pay the exorbitant prices for AAA, (but at that time I did not have an RV ... and you have to have an RV to get a plan with them). Anyway, I used Better World Club for that year, and went with Coach-Net last July, after I had bought an RV. I got great recommendations from FMCA forum and my father-in-law, and I really like that they cover you in your other vehicles, (regular car).

I now find myself in the CN vs. Good Sam quandry, as we recently became lifetime members of Good Sam, and it seems that Good Sam ERS may be a little cheaper, but I'd gladly pay a little more for CN, if it is better. Reading this thread doesn't really seem conclusive. Many good reviews for both, as well as some bad reviews for both.

I should mention, I have not had to use my Coach-Net service so far, so I have no personal experience to draw from.

If anyone can shed more light on this, it would be helpful.

One other note, some posters in this thread complained about either of the services not doing or avoiding repairs. I think, from the context of those complaints, those posters were misconstruing these as Maintenance/Repair Warranty not Emergency Road Service.

Coach-Net now is providing a service similar to FMCAssist, included with their Premier level membership. Both GS & FMCA charge separately for their medical evacuation plans, so this is apparently giving two benefits for the price of one.

I have Coach-Net road service. I have called on them three times in nine years. All three occasions were positive experiences. The first time I experienced a mechanical problem and a mechanic talked me through a temporary repair. The second and third occasions were tire related. I was back on the road in less than two hours each time. I am satisfied with Coach-Net.

I started out using Good Sam's sister company, Camping World Road Care roadside assistance. It had same call service and same service contractors, First time I used them, the contractor sent me a man who had just been released from the Alabama State Prison system. He was in a unmarked pickup with his girlfriend, He was able to get me going the next day. I spent the overnight in a Alabama Rest Stop waiting for the guy to come back and fix me up. The second time was at Columbus, Oh. Alternator belt broke Saturday morning. They could not find anyone to fix me up. Wanted to tow me to a RV show that would not open til Monday morning. I was in a safe place and told them to find me Road Service to change the belt. I ended up hoofing to a parts store late Sunday morning to get some stuff to make a temp fix to get me out of town to a truckstop where they hooked me up with a Road Service truck outfit who got me a belt and installed it. That was the end of anything to do with Good Sam Enterprises or Camping World except for the store.

I switched to Coach-Net three years ago and have been very happy with them. They have gone above and beyond what I expected and went beyond what their contracted stated. Super good company! I highly recommend Coach-Net!!!

In comparing the difference between Coach-Net and Good Sam road service I am a member of both. I recently was in Trumball, CT and had dead batteries in my coach. I called Good Sam Road Service for the first time since I was a member and talked to an agent who stated that she would call back in a short time. After waiting 1 1/2 hours, I called Coach Net. I had a service truck at my location in approximately 3/4 of an hour. He then started my coach by attaching 2 portable battery packs and I was again able to use my coach. Good Sam called back the next day and stated they would have someone there in about an hour. Needless to say they were a day late and will be a dollar short as I am cancelling my Good Sam Service Membership.

I have been a coach owner for over twelve years. Have always had Coach Net, been towed 3 times, replaced a blowout 1 time, and had battery service 2 times. I was serviced in a very timely fashion on all occasions and would certainly recommend Coach Net to anyone. It is well worth the cost for the piece of mind and if needed they will respond in a timely and very professional manner.

Safe travels,

I was about 25 miles west of Whitehorse on the Alaska Highway when my radiator light came on. Apparently a rock had gone over my protective screen and punched a hole in the rad. We unhooked and my wife drove back to WH to call Coach net. Up to that time I was very satisfied with their service and had renewed regularly.

The lady on the phone wanted to know the cross streets. There weren't any. My wife tried to explain that to her and after about 20 minutes she finally convinced her that if the driver set his odometer when he passed the place where she was he would have no problem finding us. Then we were told that if the damage was do to a rock we would be responsible for the towing because that isn't covered. We were also informed that we would have to pay the full amount and would be reimbursed when we sent the bill.

There was only one truck in Whitehorse big enough to bring my rig back. The tow truck was plenty big enough to take our 40 foot back but the driver didn't want to disconnect the drive shaft. I insisted and he did it. When we got to the garage we were told that if we had Good Sam the towing would have been taken care of. I think he said they don't use Coach Net because they have a problem getting their money. The driver also broke the front leveling system when he hooked us up but duct tape fixed that. At the garage I told then what we were told about the radiator and a rock. The next day we were on the road with a fixed radiator.The diagnosis was a split seam not a rock.

Coach Net did pay when I sent the bill but because of the problems I switched to Good Sam. The next year we were on our way west from FL when the serpentine belt broke. We overheated but were able to make it to a rest stop. The Good Sam tow was there in about 30 minutes. He said he could fix it on the spot or tow us to a shop. He had to go to town to get a belt but about 90 minutes later we were on the road.

I'll stick with Good Sam until they give me a reason not to. .

I think the both companies contract with the same tow companies so that wasn't why I switched. Until the Incident in Whitehorse I never had a problem with Coach Net but after that I don't want to take a chance.

If I can't have Coach Net...I don't want any road service. 'Ive had 3 in 17 years and when I had a tranny go out on me just north of Omaha...I called my provider at that time...gave her exact details as to where I was stranded....and she came back to me and asked me how to spell OMAHA..?? I did and in about 15 minutes she returned to the phone and said she had dispatched a wrecker from Des Moines......??????????.....And he would be leaving his home area in about 1 hr. Of course she hadn't planned on the 2 1/2 hr drive to get to Omaha!!

I told her to cancel that wrecker and on my own contacted a guy in Omaha that had the equipment to pull me in and also the garage where it could be repaired. When I got home here to Cincy I Immediately contacted Coach Net and signed up.

There was only one truck in Whitehorse big enough to bring my rig back. The tow truck was plenty big enough to take our 40 foot back but the driver didn't want to disconnect the drive shaft. I insisted and he did it. When we got to the garage we were told that if we had Good Sam the towing would have been taken care of. I think he said they don't use Coach Net because they have a problem getting their money. The driver also broke the front leveling system when he hooked us up but duct tape fixed that. At the garage I told then what we were told about the radiator and a rock. The next day we were on the road with a fixed radiator.The diagnosis was a split seam not a rock.

Ive always run across just the opposite in wrecker operators saying that Coach Net was good because they paid well and ASAP.

I would not expect my "towing service" to pay my bill for repairs....but to tell someone that "Joe Blows" insurance wont cover rock damage is just plain bald faced lie. I dont care if a person gets drunk and shoot a hole thru their radiator with a Magnum pistol....that has nothing to do with getting towed in for repairs.

In comparing the difference between Coach-Net and Good Sam road service I am a member of both. I recently was in Trumball, CT and had dead batteries in my coach. I called Good Sam Road Service for the first time since I was a member and talked to an agent who stated that she would call back in a short time. After waiting 1 1/2 hours, I called Coach Net. I had a service truck at my location in approximately 3/4 of an hour. He then started my coach by attaching 2 portable battery packs and I was again able to use my coach. Good Sam called back the next day and stated they would have someone there in about an hour. Needless to say they were a day late and will be a dollar short as I am cancelling my Good Sam Service Membership.

I have been a coach owner for over twelve years. Have always had Coach Net, been towed 3 times, replaced a blowout 1 time, and had battery service 2 times. I was serviced in a very timely fashion on all occasions and would certainly recommend Coach Net to anyone. It is well worth the cost for the piece of mind and if needed they will respond in a timely and very professional manner.

Safe travels,

AMEN!....X2

I have been a member of FMCA and Coach Net Emergency Road Service for several years and recently had my first problem and called the 800 number for help. I was in a campground in Kansas City, MO and my coach would not start (35' diesel pusher). I called for help and the call was answered by someone named Ian. After a short discussion he told me he could send a tow vehicle or he could send a roadside repair person. He could not do both and if roadside repair was called and I had to be towed, I would be responsible for the towing. I told him to tow me to somewhere it could be fixed and told him I thought the starter was bad. This was about 9:00 am on a Friday morning.

He asked me to wait and called back in a few minutes. He said that he could find no repair services to assist me until Tuesday morning of the following week. I did not tell him at the time but I considered this not acceptable as I know that an over the road truck would not have to wait 4 days in a major city before any repair help could be found.

Without any other options, I told him to send roadside repair service. About an hour or less later someone from All American Downtime Mobile Service came and after checking a few things he agreed that the starter was bad. The ALL American service person told me I had to pay his road time back to the shop as Coach Net only paid the cost to the site and not back. The All American service person was able to find a replacement starter and have it delivered to the camp site. He replaced the starter and I was able to leave.

I have been paying for platinum plus service, My only other need for road service was several years ago and was handled by the Good Sam club. They performed very well and the service was great. I also received a followup call from Good Sam about an hour later to confirm that help had arrived and later that day asking how things went. I received no call from Coach Net asking me how I was doing.

In reviewing their web site it would appear that Good Sam and Coach net service may be the same thing? All seem to be a part of something named National Motor Club? I tried sending a letter to coach net to the address on the back of my membership card and it came back as not deliverable to that address.

I will be going back to Good Sam this time.

We all seem to have very good or very bad experiences with our chosen roadside assistance vendor. I am surprised to read that Allstate is not covering you. I have a 40ft American Eagle DP and the air dump valve went bad while on the road. I called Allstate and within 1 hour a very large tow truck showed up. The driver was also a mechanic and he worked for 2 hours on the coach until he was able to get me on my way and I was able have the repair done at the end of my trip. Never saw a bill or invoice from Allstate. I have had them 4 years now.

mycroft,

Good Sam does cover your rig and your tow vehicle. I have a Good Sam card in each vehicle for the inevitable emergency that will occur. Just used Good Sam to jump start my 2013 CRV as I stupidly left the key in ACCY overnight. Called Good Sam and in 30 minutes had my tow started.

I have to agree that each situation is unique and both companies have plusses and minuses.

Good Sam Club is part of Good Sam Entrprises which grew out of Affinity Group, Inc., which also operates Camping World. I had Camping World Roadcare ERS, the sister company of the Good Sam ERS. They sent me a just released, state prison inmate, to fix my transmission. Actually, I should say that one of Roadcare's contractors sent him. Old beat up black pickup, and he had is girlfriend in tow. How unprofessional I thought. He could not fix my problem, but did lock my transmission in drive,so that I could continue on home. Was out in the middle of nowhere in a rest area in northenr Alabama when that happened. We were very happy to be alive when we pulled out of that rest area! Then on the same trip, they abandoned me over the weekend in Columbus Oh when they could not find a service provider to replace a generator belt. I found my own road service to get me back on the road. That was when I decided to switch to Coach-Net. Have been very happy with Coach-Net. I just renewed with Coach-net and they kept me at the old rate and plan, saving me $40 over what the current best plan

In reviewing their web site it would appear that Good Sam and Coach net service may be the same thing? All seem to be a part of something named National Motor Club? I tried sending a letter to coach net to the address on the back of my membership card and it came back as not deliverable to that address.
I will be going back to Good Sam this time.

Good Sam ERS contracts with different ERS companies, depending on the deal they can get. They are currently contracted with Allstate RV Roadhelp. FMCA just recently contracted with Allstate RV Roadhelp. Allstate RV Roadhelp has a BBB rating of C-. Coach-Net is their own company and have been owned by National Motor Club for a very long time. Coach-Net has a BBB rating of A. The towing industry also rates ERS companies and rates Coach-Net as the premier ERS in the ERS industry to deal with.