Sign in to follow this  
RJEJ

Pad For MH

We are getting ready to build a concrete pad on which to park our 33 ft Allegro, weight, 21,000 pound MH.

I'm guessing that a 6-8 inch thickness should be sufficient but not sure if that is enough for the jacks.

Also, to save some $, the pad will only be under the tire and jack area. I know there needs to be a moisture barrier and will place a thick rubber liner between the pad and the tires.

Suggestions and comments appreciated.

Thanks,

RJ

2008 Allegro 32LA, Ford

Scion Xd Toad

Suggest that you go talk to a reliable concrete supplier. Most have a technical person that will assist you. I used 5,000 # concrete reinforced with fiber glass fibers and crosshatched with reinforcing wire, 8 inches thick under axle area and jacks and 6 inches thick elsewhere.

Where are you located? If in a northern state, you need to consider the effect of the freeze thaw cycle. If in certain southern states, insects like fire ants and termites might make it better to do a complete pad. Local concrete contractors should be able to advise you on how best to build in your particular area. What works in one area may not work in another area.

To get an idea of the quality of work you want done, before you talk to a contractor, consider the following questions. What are the chances that you might move in the future? Are you interested in a pad that will last you for 5 years or 10 years or more? Is there a chance you might purchase another motor home? If that motor home is longer or shorter will that require doing some or all of this pad over?

Be very careful when you decide on the size of your pad. Tom is correct. Think about the future and not just now. At present time if all you want is some concrete under yout tires go out to your local A/C supply house and purchase Compressor pads. They come on 24" x24", 30"x30" and so on. They might support the weight for one season.

If you just put a pad under each wheel you will need thicker concrete then if you made a full size pad say 12' x 40', because of weight distribution. Think of the future. You put down 4 pads, and then decide that it is hard to lift the coach so you can do some work under the coach because your Jacks don't hit the pads.

Mighi I suggest that you build your pad with several things in mind. Make it long enough that if you upgrade and get a longer coach you will have a pad that it will fit on. Also make it wide enough that if you decide to enclose the coach you will have room to open the door and or compartments.

Two years ago I built a building to house our coach with room for a shop. I thought 50' deep should be plenty of room for our 40' coach. And it is but I only have just a couple of feet at each end to walk around, put up a ladder to clean the windshield and so on.

You will be glad you made the pad longer and wide when the DW doesn't have to walk in the dirt and mud to load the coach for a trip.

Happy travels and I know you will make the right decision for your needs.

Herman

Base is as important as the concrete. You may want to put in your base with dress stone on it for a season parking on that using the compressor pads for tires. Then pore next year. If the base settles the concrete will crack.

I have seen in Michigan were they will pile huge mounds of dirt on a site were they will build a Lowes with a concrete slab, and let it sit to compress the ground then remove dirt and pore. The weight speeds the process of compressing the soil under where they will pore.

Are you putting a carport or cover over this? I am planning to do so. I will make the parking pad from DG (decomposed granite) and concrete footers for each leg of the carport. I have DG for the ~100' driveway to my workshop - has been installed for several years.