Sign in to follow this  
Rhymmer

Hurricane 1 or Tropical Storm Coming

Good afternoon,

I am a full timer new to Rving.

I live in a 40 ft Motorhome.

I am on West Coast of Fl and considering my options.

Winds are expected @ 90 MPH.

Is there anything I could do to protect myself from all the rain.

I am considering parking in a storage facility or behind a large building where debris will be minimal.

Any basic tips would be helpful as I am experiencing a lot of thoughts.

I'm filling up tonite.

Thinking of heading East.

Have enough food and supplies to last a while.

Thank you for reading.

The building you hide behind just might be the one that collapses. This is a good time to be heading north. The farther north you get the prettier the colors will be in a month or so. After the mess is cleaned up you can head back south for the winter.

If you do decide to store it during the storm, park as far inland as you can and park with all slides in. If you can put the back the coach toward the projected wind direction, that would be best.

Brett

Either head for the East Coast or go North. Do not stay anywhere on the West Coast that is not inside a category 2 hurricane shelter. If you must stay, leave the coach where you think it might do best and then leave it there and take the appropriate shelter for yourself. You and your family are the only things that matter. "Stuff" can be replaced.

Thank you all for the wisdom and suggestions.

The storm is now projected more westward, and winds @ 40 mph with a lot of rain where I am located.

I've moved away from trees and using my generator for the next several days.

Thanks again.

The forecasters are wrong more often than they are right. Please, please! remain prepared and if you are any where near water, please move away. It's better to be wrong from a distance! We lived in FL for awhile and the one hurricane they required us to evacuate for never hit. He one they ensured us would not come near kicked out butts. Your coach has wheels but if you wait to long they will not do you any good.

I can see from the current forecast that the forecast path of the storm is just off the west coast of Florida. They've gotten really good at predicting the course of these violent storms. You still need to watch the forecast as they are constantly revising the predicted path based on later information. Remember just a few days ago they were forecasting it would go over Cuba, not north of Cuba. Even if it is off the coast, you will be in the fringes of a category 1 or perhaps category 2 hurricane. The thunderstorms associated with a hurricane are fierce, they spawn tornadoes as well as severe winds, incredible lightening and damaging hail. These can happen well outside the eye of the storm. The storm surge associated with hurricanes has moved ocean going vessels miles inland, parking them on high and later dry land. Ten, fifteen inches of rain can cause unbelievable flooding as rivers are backed up from the increased height of the ocean due to the storm surge. If you have the means to get away, that is what you should do. I would not take a chance on being anywhere hear a hurricane if I had the means to get away. As said above, if you aren't moving your coach, take the toad and head north and up the east coast of Georgia until the storm passes. At least then you will have your family and a few possessions. You can go see what is left of your motor home later. Evacuation requires that you leave now. Every minute you delay will slow your escape as you become entangled in the traffic of others who are leaving.