Sign in to follow this  
F389263

Route 2

Question

I am going to have my motor home serviced at Spartan in Charlotte, Mi on Aug 11th. Since I have never been to Northern Michigan, we were thinking of traveling north from Charlotte and then picking up Route 2 through Wisconsin, Minn., N. Dakota and on out to Glacier Park in Montana. Can anyone tell me what type of highway Route 2 is and if they traveled it, would they travel it again?

4 answers to this question

Hello F389263,

Welcome to the forum. I've been over US 2 from eastern ND to Glacier NP and found it to be a delightful highway. It is mostly two lane, don't get in a rush. There are small towns, points of interest along the way and great Great Plains scenery to be seen. Along US 2 they farm wheat in sections, not acres. You'll cross the Mighty Missouri and can visit the Corps of Engineers Dam on the Missouri at Fort Peck Reservoir. There used to be camping there, check to see if there still is. This would be a nice rest stop along the way. We found a nice ice cream shop (Bergie's Ice Cream) in a shop along the highway. Look for it, a refreshing stop.

The highway is a major trucking highway along the northern border so there are plenty of diesel stations. I had our generator serviced along the way at a Cummins dealer on the ND/MT border. The pavement was in good shape in 2004, the last time we traveled this route. Enjoy!

We just returned from a trip to the west coast and traveled rt 2 from Glacier thru Mt and N Dak. The road was the smoothest we were on the entire trip. It is a wide, straight, two lane road with a 75 mph speed limit (if you are in a hurry). There is a short stretch at the state line between Mt and N Dak that is under construction (adding two lanes for 10-15 miles) but other than that no problems. I told the DW that I would be ready to travel that rte anytime. There is not much to see other than sky, ranch land, and small cow towns. If I was leaving for Glacier today this is the rte I would take. I did not travel rt 2 in Minn and Wisc so I can not tell you anything about that section.

Hi From Duluth, MN:

We retired out of Duluth in 05 and have fulltimed ever since. We currently travel in a 45 ft. MH towing a car. Just returned here from Florida first coming up to Nappanee, Indiana and then N. through lower Mich. past Charlotte then across the Mackinac Bridge and then picked up Hwy. #2 on the N. end of the bridge and headedWest through the Upper Peninsula of Mich, through Northern Wisconsin and back here to Duluth. It's a GREAT drive all the way!! We've also, previously driven Rt. 2 West from Duluth out to Glacier and as others have siad...it's a very good route.

By the way, after crossing the Mackinac Bridge and turning West on to Hwy. #2, take your time driving along the North shore of Lake Mich. as it's a particularly BEAUTIFUL drive. Stop at the rest areas, have coffee, eat lunch, etc. since once you hit Escanaba Hwy. 2 departs from the lake shore and although it's a nice drive, it's hard to beat the sand dunes along the North Lake Mich. area. ENJOY. Steve & Lynette

Thanks for your responses! They really helped us with our decision. We are planning to leisurely take Rt. 2 to Glacier Park and see some of the sights you recommended.

Ken & Linda Straub

Pennsylvania