Sign in to follow this  
fzeuner

Flat Towing a 2012 Ford F150 4X4

I'm new to motorhomes and towing dinghy's. I pulled a 5th wheel for 10 years with an Ford Diesel and was comfortable with it.

Now that we have a Motorhome I'm feeling like a novice again. I did my research and found the F150 4X4 was Flat Towable. I installed the Blue Ox Base plates and did my wiring for the tail lights and turn signals.

Now I am in the process of working out the Supplemental Braking issues. After some research i purchased the Blue Ox Patriot system. The 2012 F150 4X4 uses the computer to put the transfer case into the neutral position. it's like rebooting your PC. you turn on the key, step on the brake, put the trans in Neutral and then turn the transfer switch from 2H to 4L and back 5 times in 7 seconds. The dash displays a message indicating you are in the neutral tow mode and it tells you to leave the trans in neutral and to turn the key as far to off as possible. It seems to work as described.

My concern is the braking system and the current draw and will the Patriot discharge the battery to the point that the truck will cause a problem? So if there is anyone out there that has some experience with the 2012 F150 or the Patriot System I sure would appreciate some advice and or help.