Sign in to follow this  
neilcarol

GPS Rand McNally

Bill, I think that is a problem with a lot of GPS units. Does any one make an anti-glare cover for such a small screen? I did take one of my units and made a tunnel like cover and reduced some of the glare. One of my units has a small puck like antenna extension and I can put the GPS down low but then its hard to see without taking your eyes off the road and look for it.

Herman

I don't think the problem is as wide spread as you indicate. Most of the units can be seen quite well when sitting on the dash of an RV or toad. The RM cannot and makes navigating difficult if not dangerous. They make a shadow box for it to help with the glare which is the first indication that they knew they screwed up but released it anyway.

There is a 7720 due out soon which first reports are indicating that RM may have fixed this serious problem.

10-4 New one coming out. You might get the feeling that they said lets put it out and after a year go back and fix the problems. Buy the newest unit out for $380.00 and a year later you can spend $380.00 again and get the up new and improved model. Wouldn't it be nice if they gave you a nice trade-in on the first model for the new and inmproved model. Just a thought and wishful thinking.

Have a good one.

Herman

That's why I am never an early adopter unless that company wants to send me the stuff to test for free. Even then, the work needed to help the company releasing a new product can be quite overwhelming at times and leave you questioning your sanity.

I have one of the 5 inch units. I really like the ease of use. Using the device is more logical than most. I haven't found it necessary to use the owner's manual. There is an issue with glare under certain conditions, but it is by no means "dangerous." Which ever unit you decide upon, make sure you get lifetime map updates for free; otherwise, you will be out some extra cash soon.

Rand McNally has their GPS (7701) on sale.

Has anyone used this GPS and how does it compare to the Garmin reg. on truck version?

I had the Garmin Truck version and now the Rand McNally. I like the RM unit much more as it is, amoung other things, RV specific.

Good math Herman ;-) I got my 7710 from CW while passing through NH last May and as I posted in another forum the battery charging system went south on me on the way back from a 48 day west coast trip. Bottom line, as others have said, the RVND 7710 most probably has at leas some failed units or units which haven't been used long and hard enough to collapse like mine did. My faith in RM can only be restored if they treat me right with a good trade in program to a 7720 which has some nice features e.g. WIFI for instant weather updates and hopefully fixes any know 7710 problems right out of the gate. I hope they do well by their original purchasers on the cost issue as the unit is definetely a great help while driving an RV.

Cesar Cardenas F127604

Four Winds 23S until I got to Tucson and fell under the spell of a 38' Thor Magellan at Lazydays Tucson

10-4 New one coming out. You might get the feeling that they said lets put it out and after a year go back and fix the problems. Buy the newest unit out for $380.00 and a year later you can spend $380.00 again and get the up new and improved model. Wouldn't it be nice if they gave you a nice trade-in on the first model for the new and inmproved model. Just a thought and wishful thinking.

Have a good one.

Herman

I have owned Garmins in the past and have never experienced glare problems with any of the screens. They are fully viewable from 160+ degrees. I purchased the RM 7710 because of the RV specific format. It never saw the road. The screen quality was so poor. Even without glare, the screen was washed and dim. It had to be facing you nearly straight on to be seen in the daytime, without the sun in the windshield. I returned it and have a Garmin Dezel. Although the RV features are not as nice as RM, the accuracy is fine, the hardware is sturdy and it performs navigations very well. I am not aware of an available "glare schroud" for the Dezel. I agree that the glare shroud is RM's admission of an inferior product. Shame.

I had the same issue with the RM 7710 ... the charging system failed. I could only charge it with a USB connection to my laptop. At the end of the day after many hours with their Tech support I sent the unit back and they repaired and returned it. I recieved no indication of what they did and have not had the opportunity to find out if it will work. Will head to Florida from Mass in January. I love the unit ... when it works.

Hi everyone, I don't know where everyone is mounting there 7710 gps but I have the visor and the anti-glare film on my 7710 and I have used it for over 15000 miles and I love it. I also have a garmin nuvi 660 that my wife uses on her side of the coach and sometimes one is quicker than the other, but with the RV specific features of the Rand 7710 I prefer it. I love the ability to download any upgrades and maps from my lap-top and I have not had any problems with it over the 15000 miles. Just my two cents Smokeater75.

You can use the anti glare screen material from a laptop or pad and cut it to size to fit the 7710. I am waiting for the new 7720 to come and hoping it will be brighter. Will post when I test it.

I am going to get the 7720 as soon as I can get a good price so please do update us when you get your system. It might save me some money! My 2720 Garmin is now 7 years old and their software is getting worse every year.

Great to hear about both the RM and the Garmin. Could someone please identify the "RV specific features" on the RM, for those of us who remain ignorant?

I see where there are numerous complaints related to the RM #7710, mostly related to screen quality and visibility. Suggestions are to wait for model RM#7720. It is available now, does anyone have any comments on this new model? There is also a Model 7715. It doesn't appear there is much, if any, difference between it & the RM7720? Finally, does anyone have experience with Maggellan products?

This is a follow up to my prior post regarding charging and freeze up problems with the 7710. I received my 7710 back from RM supposedly repaired and fortunately decided to use it in my Jeep since I was not going to use the MH until January ... it lasted 30 minutes and froze up. The same issues we had the first time. I contacted RM and they wanted me to send it in again for their tech's to look at ... I tolds them that was unacceptable and that I paid $350 last January and have only been able to use it for 10 days. I insisted that they either replace the unit with a new one or refund my money. They are sending me a new 7710. After searching all the blogs on this issue it is apparant that some generation of the 7710 has a major problem with charging and freeze up issues. The fact is we love the unit ... if it would work.

FYI, RM is offering a $100 trade in for any GPS towards their 7720.

I'll comment again when I get my replacement.

I received the replacement 7710 ... RM Customer service was very prompt. I have used the unit in my Commander and it appears to work fine...... The first week of January I head from Boston to Port Richey FL ... I'll cross my fingers.

Considering all the issues with all the new GPS units, I have decided to ensure the future of my Garmin 2720 and recently bought a new power cord and bean bag mount. I should be good to go for years to come.

I got the 7720 last Wednesday on their trade in sale so I got it for 249.99 after the $100 trade.

Seems to be a nice unit although the first boot up took longer than I expected, however, when it did finish it had already found the sats and my position, but the street address was wrong.

Haven't taken it out yet though as my wife is really sick.

Also got the optional sunshade although the screen does appear to be pretty bright in the daylight.