Sign in to follow this  
neilcarol

GPS Rand McNally

Just got my 7720 in the mail yesterday, half DOA, the battery won't charge and is dead, won't hook up to WIFI. I called them this morning to see about getting a replacement unit by next Friday, I'm leaving for the next 3 weeks and wanted to try out the new unit. Their "Customer Service" is next to non-existant, the only way I could get a new unit was to purchase another unit, and then they couldn't even guarantee that I would have it by next Friday, most likely it wouldn't ship until the 2nd! I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that they couldn't talk to me about the issue, as the rep I spoke to had already talked to them.

Needless to say, the unit is on the way back to them and I won't be doing business with them again if that is their idea of customer service.

Dennis

I was one of the first kids on the street to have the 5 inch. Lots of complaints but the biggest is customer support. The attitude of RM is not really great. It has always been that they are doing you a favor by answering. I AM NOT A GOOD FLAG WAVER FOR RAND MCNALLY.

I usually use two GPS units at the same time. Surprising how they differ. Now the Garmin has often said "you have arrived." You find yourself in a farmers field. Most time RM gets you there but its the junk you get in between that is disturbing. If I really need some thing, I use my Ipad. That gets three working on a problem plus a wife. She gets mad when I question any other their advice. Then I am lost.....

I started with an old Magellan, but I couldn't update the maps. I wanted a larger screen, so I decided to go with the RM 7710. The software took some getting used to, but I know how to use it now. I don't like the routing on occasions and often defer to a paper map. The glare was an issue and I bought the sunshade, which was useless. It did prove useful on our 8500 mile cross-country trip in the Fall. I decided to take advantage of RMs offer to trade it in to get the new 7720 in December. It seems to have less of a glare issue, but I haven't been out in the RV since Christmas. The new one has WiFi which can overlay weather. Not really needed because I get that on my phone anyway.