w6pea

Propane Detector Problems

The other day I went to exercise my generator. (really went to get out of the heat in the RV with the A/C on :rolleyes: )

Anyway, the propane detector went off. I am thinking it was because of the fumes from the generator, because I still had the door open and the fumes were coming up from under the coach.

The RV is a little over 7 years old. I wonder if it's time to replace the propane detector and if so is it something that I could do myself or do I need to have it done at a licensed repair shop?

If you have a propane generator then the detector going off would not be surprising but it should not have gone off if there were diesel or gas fumes. A CO detector could go off with any of these scenarios. You certainly might want to replace a 7 year old unit in any case, however, as I believe that most of the units do have an expected life span. I am just not sure how long that actually is.

Most of the alarms are limited to a five year lifespan.

Some manufacturers say to test the unit weekly, that is probably a bit excessive if not living in the rig. A simple test is part of my pre-trip inspection: slowly engage the trigger of a butane lighter so there is no flame, hold down the trigger and place the lighter close to and above the sensor. It should alarm within a few seconds if functioning normally.

More fun than simply pushing a button, and grandkids will love performing the chore.