Sign in to follow this  
woodnt

Tow PT Cruiser With Automatic Transmission-- Tow Bar Or Tow Dolly?

Hello,

I am changing to a diesel pusher and already own a PT Cruiser. With the diesel pusher is included a tow bar, but of course, I would have to get a trany lube kit installed, buy base plates, have the wiring hooked up to tail lights. We plan on keeping the cruiser for a while, but might may change our minds, too. In its favor is easy on-off the MH.

I am also considering using a Demco Kar Kaddy SS on sale now for around $2400. This would require more work to hook and unhook, but has advantages that we can tow other vehicles without modifications.

I am interested in opinions on which is the best way to go and why you feel that way.

Thanks,

Nathan

I had a PT that we towed for about 40,000 miles with the lube pump. I have also had a dolly for 10 years. There is no comparison between the 2. With the dolly I always ended up getting dirty putting the straps around the tires. My DW is not a good driver to put something on the dolly and has already run over the stops. That took us all morning to get lifted off properly. She can not give directions on which way to go either. We would get the car on the dolly and not speak for several hours. The work involved on the dolly eliminated any of the chances we may have had to visit something nearby with only the toad.

When we got the PT in "02 we got the Remco lube pump and found we did a lot more sightseeing since it was only a couple of minutes to unhook the toad. If I have to give up my 4 down I go back to motels.

With our Vue we don't need the pump so there is only 1 cord to disconnect. The easier and quicker it is the drier you stay in the rain. It always seemed to rain when we had the dolly.

The fellow I sold it to offered it back to me free and I turned it down.

Well, after a lot of soul searching and reading of people's opinions (for which I am grateful) and considering I'm not sure how long we will be keeping the car (might be having some A/C issues, and we really need that here in central TX), we decided to tow with a Demco Kar Kaddy SS. Just picked it up today in New Braunfels, TX. Got a great deal (IMHO). Now, just need to get the motor home (I know, we put the cart before the horse, but it just worked out that way).

Thanks again,

Nathan

I will speak for the Remco Lube Pump. Since I am driving a Buick 2005, we have used the lube pump for five years with no problems. We have put over 30,000 miles on the pump and not a problem. The pump makes it very easy to unhook and drive away. Also easier for those times when we have pulled into a dead end street and had to unhook to back out. Towing a 2005 Buick behind a 2007 Foretravel Coach.