Larry196

New Full timer-What Satellite Service

I just sold the Sticks and Bricks Home and after buying a 40 foot DP '06 Holiday Rambler, we are ready to go.

We have dealt with all the issues that seemed to be important and will deal with the others as they jump up to scare us to death.

Right now I am dealing with the TV programs, which satellite ? We have had Direct TV for a number of years, but they require you to have a real house somewhere, Dish requires you buy a $399 carry out antenna.

I have an automatic Winegard on the roof, but they will not install to that antenna.

That leaves me with Hughes which I have helped a few of out traveling friends to try and get setup and have failed because the signal is spotty and not always around.

What now ?????

What is everyone using and how happy are you with it????? Ideas would help too.

Thanks in advance.

Larry and Rita

Using Direct TV and love it. I even get most of my channels when traveling in Alaska. For the RV we use my mother in laws address in California since that is the area we usually hang out at in the winter. So far no problem...

Is the Winegard antenna on the roof a satelite antenna or an over-the-air antenna. Winegard makes both for roof mounting on RVs. Several other manufacturers also make satelite antennas for RVs. I believe the satelite dish has to be programmed to work with whichever service you choose (DirecTV or Dish). Or maybe you need a different model for the different networks. Checkout the Winegard website for more info. The over-the-air antennas will only pick up signals that are broadcast by local, nearby stations. The type of antenna will also determine whether you can get HD or not and whether you can pick up all the DirecTV or Dish satelites at once (for multiple TVs). The dome-type satelite usually will only lock onto one of the satelites at a time. You should be able to google DirecTC RV (or Dish RV) for more information.

We have DirecTV with ABC, CBS & NBC from New York and LA. Your TV may not be able to receive over the air digital signals. There are converters, but replacing the TV is much better. We have Toshiba TVs. The dish receiver cable connects directly to the TV as does over the over the air antenna. We can select the input by a menu option. The quality of over the air reception is better than DirecTV or Cable provided you are within a radius of about 35/40 miles of the broadcasting stations.

You only have the 2 choices, Dish or DirecTV. You refer to Hughes which I assume you are referring to Hughesnet which is internet service and not TV.

Since you mention a Winegard automatic I will speculate that you have a dome antenna. If that is also from '06 time frame you will be able to use it with DirecTV and receive all of the DirecTV programming in SD but not HD programming. You can also use it with Dish but you will need an upgrade to receive the programming from all 3 of the Dish satellites.

You can install it all yourself by calling Winegard. They will ship you the receiver and you plug them in and follow the setup routine. If you are near an RV park you can likely visit them and find an RV friendly DirecTV or Dish installer. Lots of people are having satellite TV installed in there RV, you just need to find the right installer.

http://www.winegard.com/receivers/rvreceivers.php

I have Direct TV and had it installed in the coach after I was full timing. I was visiting a friend in TX and used his address as I recall. Later I switched to my mail forwarding address in SD.

I have the Winegard Traveler SK3005 for Direct TV on the roof. There really isn't any reason to have Direct connect it. You just run a coax from the Winegard control box to the TV.

As someone mentioned earlier, the best option is to contact Winegard and determine what your current antenna is capable of receiving. You can buy the programming from Winegard or direct from the supplier. I am not sure where you got the $399 installation for Dish. With my own antenna, a Winegard, I just purchased a receiver from Amazon, called Dish and had the programming activated. The Winegard automatic antenna (It is a Trav'ler SK-3005) can be reconfigured for either Dish or Direct with a kit from Winegard, apx $200; so, don't let anyone tell you that you are stuck with either one due to the current configuration of your antenna, if it is a Trav'ler SK-3005.

We use Dish because we can deactivate when we are home, but being full-time that won't matter to you. The biggest issue for you may be whether you want HD or not. It's a little more difficult with Direct. As far as NFL programming they both now have a service that permits you to see all the games each week.

The $399 is what Dish is selling as their "RV antenna". They are referring to the King Dome (labeled Dish) Tailgater. It's a ground mounted portable antenna that will work with the Dish pay-as-you-go service and the VIP 211K receiver (only). You buy the receiver, sign up for programming and turn the service on an off as you please. It's not the best choice if you RV for 6 or more months per year (or 6 or more times per year where you would need service) but it certainly is an option.

As someone mentioned earlier, the best option is to contact Winegard and determine what your current antenna is capable of receiving. You can buy the programming from Winegard or direct from the supplier. I am not sure where you got the $399 installation for Dish. With my own antenna, a Winegard, I just purchased a receiver from Amazon, called Dish and had the programming activated. The Winegard automatic antenna (It is a Trav'ler SK-3005) can be reconfigured for either Dish or Direct with a kit from Winegard, apx $200; so, don't let anyone tell you that you are stuck with either one due to the current configuration of your antenna, if it is a Trav'ler SK-3005. We use Dish because we can deactivate when we are home, but being full-time that won't matter to you. The biggest issue for you may be whether you want HD or not. It's a little more difficult with Direct. As far as NFL programming they both now have a service that permits you to see all the games each week.

Do you have a DVR with that? I hooked up a hard drive to my VIP 211k, activated the dvr service with DISH, but can only record one channel at a time. Would the antenna you mention solve that problem?

The Winegard Trav'ler (SK-1000) will allow you to fully utilize a DVR in your coach but not a Tailgater. Your current 211K is the best receiver option with any kind of a domed antenna (roof mount or portable). A DVR will "work" with a dome but the 2 channels must be on the same satellite and you will likely have as many failures as you do successes.

Did you know that your 211K will also accept the OTA input and record it as well? This "almost" makes your 211K a dual tuner DVR.

I have Dish at home and in our Motorhome. Would not have anything else.

Unless your Wingard is really old you should be able to get it to work with Dish or Directv.

Wingard suppeor is very helpful, give them a call.

Larry we have used a king dome for years it works for us, you might want to contact King Dome Sales I do beleve they can assist getting you set up

Larry already owns a Winegard, not a King Dome.

I have been happy with Directv for about 20 years. When they came out with HD I had to have it. The latest in tvs is LED LCD which some are just over an inch thick. They also draw much less current which is important if you are running off an inverter. I have a Samsung 40 inch which is 1.2 inches thick. I made a cabinet above the dashboard and hinged the tv from the ceiling and there is storage behind it. I'm lazy so I have a Moto Sat HD on the roof.

Yes it will. The older antennas can't receive all 3 satellites (110, 119, 129) but that's not the receivers fault but rather the fault of the antenna the receiver is connected to.