Sign in to follow this  
tom538

Check Engine Light Is On-- What Gives?

After finishing a 5000 mile trip in my 2004 Fleetwood Expedition RV I did not use my motorhome for over 2 months.

I just tried to start it and although it started right away the "check engine" warning light will not go out. I drove the unit for several miles to get the engine up to temperature. Oil pressure and temps are normal. Engine temp is normal. Battery charging rate is normal. Anybody have a clue as to what is going on.

By the way I checked both oil and coolant levels. Both were normal. Could I have a contaminated fuel line filter that is just bad enough to set off the warning light?

I realize that "check engine" is a pretty broad category so any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tom

Tom,

Best answer is to have the code(s) read and KNOW what triggered the check engine light.

Could be something as simple as a coolant level sensor, or could be something that left un-repaired could damage the engine.

Tom.

By using the Check engine switch and Idle set switches under the dash, left side of the steering column you can read the engine fault codes by way of the check engine light flash code(s) feature.

Could you post your engine series?

Rich.

Hi Rich:

My engine is a ISB300 manufactured in 2004.

How do you do the check engine light flash code feature?

Thanks for your prompt response.

Hi Tom.

To Read engine codes on the Freightliner Chassis

(The code must be active. i.e. Still showing as a Check Engine or other fault

1. Shut the engine off.

2. Hold the Engine Check switch down. Located down by the steering column.

3. Turn the ignition key to on.

Both the Check Engine (yellow) and the Stop Engine (red) will come on

momentary. If no fault is active, both lights will come on and stay on.

4. The Fault Code will flash in the following sequence.

First, the Check Engine (Yellow) lamp will flash. Then the Stop Engine light will

flash the error number's in sequence. There will be a short one or two second

pause between each number. When the number has finished flashing, (in red), a

yellow light will appear again. The three digit code will repeat twice in the same

sequence.

The lights flash each fault code out two times before advancing to the next code.

To skip to the next fault code sooner, or back to the previous code, touch the

switch labeled Idle Increase/Decrease . This is a center off rocker switch located

next to the Engine Check switch. If only one fault is active, the same fault will

flash again.

List of ISB engine fault codes.

http://www.diesel-se...ault-codes.html

P.S. Tom I'm over my photo limit will try to send switch picture location to you by PM

Hope this helps, let me know.

Rich.

Tom, This page is not the most helpful when sending links and technical lists from my files.

So, if you can read the codes, list them by number and I will type in the info for the ones I have on file.

Hope the picture made it to you by the PM method.

Rich.

Rich:

Thanks for all of your valuable input. I'm off to the RV this am to see if I can carry out your instructions.

By the way, the link to the Cummins list of codes worked.

Thanks again and I will let you know the outcome.

Hi Rich and others,

Well, I went down and searched for the check engine switch down by the steering column as you suggested. I couldn't find it there or anywhere in the vicinity. Probably didn't know what I was looking for.

If anyone has the same coach (2004 Fleetwood Expedition) and can help me locate it I would be most appreciative.

Thanks

Tom

P.S. Rich, by the way, I did not receive the picture.

Tom and others,

If you receive a PM (Private Message) the envelope icon at the top right of the page will show a number corresponding to the number of unread PM's you have received.

BTW, I just sent you a test PM, so you should have at least one.

Brett

Well, here is the end of my saga. After I was unable to locate the "code reading" switch Rich had alluded to in his posts I bit the bullet and drove 55 miles to my closest Cummins dealer to have them read the code and make a diagnosis using their diagnostic equipment. Thank goodness I followed Wolfe10s advice to do so as my problem turned out to be a fuel lifter pump that was about to completely die. I noticed on the drive to the Cummins dealer that the engine performance was sluggish which it turned out was the result of the failing pump not keeping up with the demand for fuel . Acording to the Cummins dealer I was lucky that I made a timely repair as if the lift pump had completely failed the main fuel pump could be over stressed and also fail. Also, in either case, the engine would stop. I was fortunate that I made to the dealer.

The lift pump was a $200 item but the main fuel pump is a much more costly part.

The moral of the story is that a "check engine" light should be dealt with promptly even though other gauges are showing normal performance. Even though the "check engine" indication can be something as minor as a failing sensor, it cannot be ignored as it may be something much more serious.

I really appreciate the time Rich and Wolfe10 devoted to helping me solve my problem.

I am lucky to belong to the FMCA and it's caring membership.

Tom

Glad you found the problem. Thanks also for posting your results. More good information for all members of the FMCA family.

Lift pumps and filters are cheep compared to high pressure injector pumps. Low fuel pressure can result in a very big bill down the road if ignored.

Rich.