I understand that we have lost Medical Assist as one of our benefits of membership during the last director's meeting. It is also my understanding it will be available to members but at a very substantial extra fee. That benefit is the main reason why we, and I know many others, have remained in FMCA over the years. While I understand we are trying to reduce expenses, this is not one of the items FMCA should have dropped - it will result in many people getting out of FMCA with the resulting loss of revenue. Instead of growing the membership as they continually strive to do, this will do the opposite - not smart in my opinion. There had to be other ways to keep this essential benefit.

John,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please understand that there are so many other Benefits with FMCA. I liketo think of it as the name implys. "Family Motor Coach Association" putting the importance on "Family".

We have gotten so much more out of FMCA then perks. We have made loving and dear friends from being members of seveal Chapters.

There are so many times in our life that we have had to give up things just to get by and that is why FMCA has had to make some cuts.

I myself would rather have the wonderful staff in Cincinnati keep their jobs and continue to give the membership the great service then to have one of the medical plans.

So Please don't give up on FMCA.

Hope you stay with FMCA and continue to have wonderful trips.

Herman

John,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please understand that there are so many other Benefits with FMCA. I liketo think of it as the name implys. "Family Motor Coach Association" putting the importance on "Family".

We have gotten so much more out of FMCA then perks. We have made loving and dear friends from being members of seveal Chapters.

There are so many times in our life that we have had to give up things just to get by and that is why FMCA has had to make some cuts.

I myself would rather have the wonderful staff in Cincinnati keep their jobs and continue to give the membership the great service then to have one of the medical plans.

So Please don't give up on FMCA.

Hope you stay with FMCA and continue to have wonderful trips.

Herman

I would agree that there is much more to FMCA than the perks, but Med Assist was the one thing FMCA had that no other RV association did. I can get everything FMCA has to offer from other groups for a lot less money. Without Med Assist, FMCA has nothing to make it stand out from other groups and there is little reason to belong to it. I also believe that many of the chapter related groups such as FCOC and others will also come to disassociate with FMCA as their members begin to rebel at having to belong to FMCA in order to belong to the chapter. There is already a lot of discontent in this area and it will only grow as fewer and fewer members refuse to renew membership.

I'm told that the cost of the new program will be $85.00/single and $105.00/family. I was also informed that there would be some changes to the features offered. I'm waiting for the October issue of FMCA Mag. to read more about the program and will then decide. I do know that SkyMed for family without options is over $400.00. So if this program in any way approaches what Skymed offers it could be considered a bargain I would think.

I'm with you John. The MedAssist is one of the main reasons we joined FMCA. I have recruited several new members just because of this benefit. It's a huge mistake to drop it and I'm very disappointed in the decision. I also doubt that we will renew our membership when it comes due. Good Sam has a Med Assist program and I don't need membership in 2 organizations.

I am not sure if the moderators will delete this post, so save it quickly if you think it is appropriate!

If you joined FMCA only for the benefits then I think you joined for the wrong reason. I (and FMCA) will be sorry to see you go but the reality is that FMCA is much more than just benefits. FMCA is an excellent organization (with whom I do not always agree) dedicated to the enjoyment of the RV experience by owners of self-powered recreational vehicles.

FMCA is expanding that definition to include towables which may or may not work toward the betterment of FMCA, but is not a concern of mine. I like what FMCA does do. The magazine is an excellent resource for all RVers and likely worth the price of membership all by itself. FMCA also has a strong lobbying arm, offers an excellent National rally annually and allows local and regional chapters to exist and be supported under the FMCA umbrella.

They also encourage and support the many regional FMCA rallies such as the WMHA SW area rally (Indio, CA), 6-States rally, SE Area rally, GLASS Rally, Rocky Mountain Ramble, GEAR, NE Area Rally, and likely many more. This is a social organization (yes, it's an organization that wants to make a profit at the end of the day) that has been very successful in promoting the RV life-style.

What's so wrong about that?

I agree that this service was a major reason for our joining FMCA. The cost of the service FMCA is associated with is within a dollar or two of the price as the similar program offered by Good Sams.

Carl Heinz

F390004

2008 Bounder 34H w/Ford Edge

There is a thread started on our Fortravel owners forum (Foreforums.com) about this subject. People are not happy about this. I and two others so far will not be renewing. I think this has been badly handled. Pity as I would have paid a reasonable increase in dues to stay a member but not an effective $105.00 per year for the same benefits.

Keith