Sign in to follow this  
edraff

Diamond Shield Replacement

I have a 2007 Fleetwood Providence that has the Diamon Shield on the front, applied at the factory. I purchased the coach in October of 2009. The covering had some bug stains on it when I purchased the coach. After 20,000 miles I also have a few chips in the cover.

I have a quote from Diamond Shield to remove to old shield and install new.

My question is: How likely is it that some paint will be removed in the process of removing the old shield? Anyone have experience with this?

edraff

Ed,

If it hasn't been said before, Welcome to the Forum.

There have been posting on this before. I was quoted $3,000.00 to $3,500.00 to remove mine. The reason stated was that they knew that paint would be damaged and the front cap would need to be repainted. What did Diamond quote you?

I have been able to remove just a little bit with my finger nail. Really hard on the nail. i have been told that a Hair Dryer will help. Haven't tried that yet.

Herman

I recently had my coach painted and was offered diamond shield for $1200. I asked how much to repaint the front end sometime down the road and was told $800. I opted for the latter.

Have a 07 National RV Dolphin, with full body/clear coat paint. Front clear protective vinyl was seriously discolored and stained. Vertical surfaces could be pulled off VERY slowly parallel to surface. Moldings around grill that were somewhat horizontal displayed the worst sun damage. I used a nylon "putty knife" and mineral spirits on a warm day to soften up these surfaces. I was told you could use a hair dryer if careful. The mineral spirits then cleaned up any residual adhesives. It takes a lot of patience. Result: no paint damage and saved a quoted $800+ to have it removed with the possibility of paint damage and a paint job. Couple coats of wax and it looks like new. Would not recommend this method however if you have vinyl decals unless you're prepared to replace them.

We had Diamond Shield on our motorhome and it started looking terrible and removed it.

We let it warm up in the sun and slowly started to peal it off. Only one little tiny bit of paint came off which was an easy "touch-up"....

There is a spray coating by 3M called Defender that you spray on and it will peel off relatively easily in a year or so.

I dunno... is it less than $1,000 a can? :P

Hey, timely discussion. My neighbor here at Port Aransas' Tropic Island Resort has a 3M shield on his otherise lovely Holiday Rambler; it is stained and crackled, reminds me of the Cistine Chapel.

My bare nekkid Beaver nose looks factory-new by comparison, even with its dozen or so tiny rock chips.

I'll opt for the once-every 60K miles nose repaint...